|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In August 1928, Deterding met where with Heinrich Riedemann of Jersey Standard-Germany, Cadman of APOC, William Mellon of Gulf, Robert Stewart of Indiana and others to discuss the oil industry?
2. Which country was not represented at the meeting?
3. What method of delivery for oil did the oil companies settle on to avoid teamster conflicts?
4. Who became Britain's chief oil supplier just before WWI?
5. Who did FDR meet with at the Suez Canal Zone after Yalta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the war years called? Why are they called this?
2. What occurred in the oil industry after WWI in the United States? What was the Mineral Leasing Act of 1920?
3. Into what areas did Standard Oil expand? What was its place in oil production?
4. In what parts of the world did oil drilling and production take place? Where were some of the challenges that oil companies faced in these regions and countries?
5. What was known about oil before the mid-nineteenth century? Why wasn't it used more?
6. What did Germany use to try to disrupt oil distribution? What effect did this have?
7. Who was Ibn Saud? Why did he become involved in the oil industry?
8. What was the Japanese war plan based on? Did these premises come true?
9. How was Standard Oil formed? Who was involved in this venture?
10. How did Britain become involved in developing D'Arcy's oil fields in the Middle East? What were the reasons for Britain's interest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the development of the Middle East as a power in the oil industry. Why did the Middle East become important in the industry? What role has this region played in the industry? What aspects has the region influence in terms of oil? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role did oil play in World War II? How did it influence military strategy? How did oil fuel new military strategies and tactics?
Essay Topic 3
What is the As-Is Agreement? How did the agreement come about? Who was involved in the meeting where the agreement originated? What were the goals of the agreement? How did the agreement change the oil industry? Was the agreement successful in its goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)