|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stepped in to restore order as majors and independents feuded in the United States?
2. The Rothschilds created what company in 1902?
3. Which Swedish inventor established a considerable industrial company in Russia?
4. What agreement signed in 1944, assured "equity" to all parties, including the oil producing countries?
5. A Bolshevik newspaper spoke of oil as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Standard Oil formed? Who was involved in this venture?
2. What are rents? How does this apply to oil?
3. How did WWI affect the oil industry and consumption of oil?
4. What invention threatened Standard's profits? What product did Standard begin focusing on? Was this strategy successful?
5. Describe the exploration for oil that took place as Pennsylvania became depleted? Where was oil found?
6. How did the Shell employees in Borneo react to news of Pearl Harbor? Why did they react this way?
7. Describe the beginning of the oil industry in Mexico. Why did Mexico cease to be a large oil producer?
8. What was part of Hitler's motivation to invade Russia? Why? Was he successful?
9. What was the Japanese war plan based on? Did these premises come true?
10. Who was "Dad" Joiner? What did he discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the As-Is Agreement? How did the agreement come about? Who was involved in the meeting where the agreement originated? What were the goals of the agreement? How did the agreement change the oil industry? Was the agreement successful in its goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how oil can cause tensions and conflicts between countries. Why is oil so important as to contribute to conflicts? How is oil used as a weapon in conflicts between countries? Use at least one specific example from the book to illustrate and back up your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the oil industry have in the anti-West feelings of some in the Middle East? Discuss why some Arabs resent Western influence in the region. What actions on the part of the West contributed to these feelings? Include at least two specific instances that might contribute to such feelings.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)