|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought out Maurice Clark for $72,000?
2. A Bolshevik newspaper spoke of oil as what?
3. Shell employees at Balikapan in Borneo reacted to Pearl Harbor how?
4. Japan believed that what was the biggest liability for Germans in WWI, leading to their defeat?
5. RDSG geologists put which country atop the list of potential oil finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the oil companies become involved in the Middle East? Who was involved in the beginning negotiations?
2. Into what areas did Standard Oil expand? What was its place in oil production?
3. Why didn't FDR do anything when Japan invaded China? What did he consider?
4. What tensions existed between the United States and Britain after the war? Why?
5. What event in 1947 in the Gulf of Mexico led to questions? What issues arose from this? What other products did the United States become interested in?
6. Who found an economical way to get oil? Where did he get the information from? What happened after he discovered this?
7. Describe the exploration for oil that took place as Pennsylvania became depleted? Where was oil found?
8. What was known about oil before the mid-nineteenth century? Why wasn't it used more?
9. What was part of Hitler's motivation to invade Russia? Why? Was he successful?
10. What was the Japanese war plan based on? Did these premises come true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Hitler's goals in his aggression toward Russia? Why was he motivated to attack Russia? What did he hope to gain? Was Hitler's campaign successful in Russia? Why or why not? What influenced the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
How did oil change the ways in which wars are fought? How has oil been used as a weapon in war? How did oil change the weaponry and machinery of war starting with World War I?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the development of the Middle East as a power in the oil industry. Why did the Middle East become important in the industry? What role has this region played in the industry? What aspects has the region influence in terms of oil? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)