|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 1970s, oil buyers did what?
(a) Demanded that less oil be produced so prices would increase
(b) Sold the oil at low prices
(c) Hoarded the oil they bought
(d) Stopped buying
2. Who used radio to mobilize Arab nationalism and stir up the whole Third World?
(a) King Farouk
(b) Gamal Abedel Nasser
(c) Saddam Hussein
(d) Ali Razmara
3. During the "Arab oil embargo" gas princes rose how much in the United States?
(a) 3 percent
(b) 76 percent
(c) 40 percent
(d) 12 percent
4. Mohammed Reza Pahlavi was placed in control of what country?
(d) Saudi Arabia
5. In 1972, The Limits to Growth predicted that within 100 years what would happen?
(a) Oil production would be focused in the Arctic
(b) Oil would be depleted
(c) New oil fields would be developed
(d) Solar power would become more important than oil
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1965, who won two-thirds of the exploration leases on the Prudhoe Bay structure?
2. How did Eisenhower feel about the attack on Egypt?
3. The grounding of the Exxon Valdez in Prince William Sound happened in what year?
4. On October 6, 1973, Egypt and Syria launched a massive coordinated attack on which country?
5. From 1949-72, world oil consumption did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weakened OPEC's position in the oil industry? Give at least one specific example.
2. Who was Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini? What impact did he have on the oil industry?
3. The book discusses some possible changes in the oil industry. What does the author argue is a possibility in the coming years in regards to the oil industry? What might change the face of the oil industry?
4. What did Senator Henry ("Scoop") Jackson investigate? How did people respond to these investigations?
5. Why did world oil consumption grow so fast in the period between 1949 and 1972? Which countries or areas experienced this growth?
6. Who was "Sheikh" Ahmed Zaki Yamani? What impact did he have on the oil industry?
7. What events change the oil landscape in Iran? What happened to Mossadegh?
8. What factors weakened OPEC's position in the mid-1980s?
9. What effects did the Second Oil Shock have on the oil industry?
10. What were some of the challenges of harvesting oil in Alaska? How did the oil companies address some of the issues?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)