|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What remained important in finding oil in the 1920s?
(b) Aerial pictures
(d) Geological studies
2. The deals between countries and oil companies for royalties and other fees were referred to as what?
(a) Twenty/Eighty Deals
(b) Sixty/Forty Deals
(c) Fifty/Fifty Deals
(d) Ten/Ninety Deals
3. What product grew rapidly after its first delivery to England in 1861?
4. Who tried to take over Britain's naval superiority in the 1890s, which instead strengthened Britain's resolve?
(c) The United States
5. What was banned in 1943 in the U.S.?
(a) Nonessential driving
(b) Having more than one private vehicle
(c) Taxi cabs
(d) Shipping via train
Short Answer Questions
1. RDSG geologists put which country atop the list of potential oil finds?
2. Which act gave FDR power to control exports, including oil?
3. Outside the U.S., oil exploration in the Western Hemisphere centered where?
4. Who did FDR appoint to head the Department of the Interior, in addition to the newly created positions of Oil Administrator and Public Works Administrator?
5. What did Germany use to try to disrupt the shipping of oil in the Atlantic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was "Dad" Joiner? What did he discover?
2. Describe the exploration for oil that took place as Pennsylvania became depleted? Where was oil found?
3. What was one of most extraordinary engineering feats of WWII? Why was this done?
4. What are the war years called? Why are they called this?
5. Who was Ibn Saud? Why did he become involved in the oil industry?
6. In what parts of the world did oil drilling and production take place? Where were some of the challenges that oil companies faced in these regions and countries?
7. How did the automobile transform American society?
8. How did WWI affect the oil industry and consumption of oil?
9. What was part of Hitler's motivation to invade Russia? Why? Was he successful?
10. What invention threatened Standard's profits? What product did Standard begin focusing on? Was this strategy successful?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)