|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in 1942, Hitler developed which plan, aimed at the Caucasus and beyond, to the oil fields of Iran and Iraq, and onward to India?
(a) Operation Soviet
(b) Operation Caucasus
(c) Operation Volkswagon
(d) Operation Bleu
2. Who became Britain's chief oil supplier just before WWI?
(c) Royal Dutch
3. Who took over leadership of Standard from Rockefeller?
(a) John D. Archibold
(b) Daniel Rockefeller
(c) Immanuel Nobel
(d) John Mellon
4. Oil prices dropped after what event?
(b) World War I
(c) The Civil War
(d) The Vietnam War
5. Stalin wanted oil from which country to supplement Soviet production?
(d) Saudi Arabia
6. Which country was not represented at the meeting?
(d) The United States
7. Japan's original war plan was that how much oil would be sufficient for victory?
(a) 5 years' worth
(b) 1 month's worth
(c) 2 years' worth
(d) 9 week's worth
8. What did England sign in 1907 to foil German penetration into the Middle East?
(a) England-Persia Agreement
(b) English-Saudi Agreement
(c) Anglo-Russian Convention
(d) London-Turkey Treaty
9. Who published a book on the history of Standard Oil Company?
(a) Grace von Darnell
(b) Ida Tarbell
(c) Anna Burton
(d) Sarah Roosevelt
10. Who volunteered to lead a cross-country motor caravan to demonstrate the value of motor transportation and to dramatize the need for better highways?
(a) Albert B. Fall
(b) Calvin Coolidge
(c) Theodore Roosevelt
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower
11. Who toured the Middle East and believed it to be "the greatest prize in history" because of its oil?
(a) Everette Lee DeGolyer
(b) James Forrestal
(d) David McNaughton
12. Who was the first country to begin using the practice of "rents?"
13. On April 5, 1945, who prepared to advance on Japan?
(a) The Soviet Union
14. What remained important in finding oil in the 1920s?
(a) Geological studies
(c) Aerial pictures
15. By 1950, what was the primary fuel source in America?
(d) Synthetic fuel
Short Answer Questions
1. Who perfected the incandescent light bulb?
2. "Colonel" Edwin Drake applied the salt drilling techniques of what country to oil?
3. J. N. Pews in 1876 pioneered the use of natural gas to light which city?
4. The Rothschilds created what company in 1902?
5. Which German commander was stopped due to a lack of petrol in North Africa?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)