|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Outside the U.S., oil exploration in the Western Hemisphere centered where?
2. For producing nations, oil was a source of what?
3. Who became Britain's chief oil supplier just before WWI?
(c) Royal Dutch
4. Who subdued much of Arabia and negotiated the exchange of oil for money for his country?
(a) Chaim Weizmann
(b) Ibn Saud
(c) Rub al-Khali
(d) Harry St. John Bridger
5. Germans pioneered the extraction of what from coal before World War I?
(a) Synthetic fuels
6. In the early 1930s, the United States provided how much of Japan's oil imports?
7. What method of delivery for oil did the oil companies settle on to avoid teamster conflicts?
(c) Tanker trucks
8. What company did John D. Rockefeller and Henry Flagler start?
(a) Exxon Mobil, Inc.
(b) Irving Oil Company
(c) Citgo, Inc.
(d) Standard Oil Company
9. Who did FDR appoint to head the Department of the Interior, in addition to the newly created positions of Oil Administrator and Public Works Administrator?
(a) Thomas Stirling
(b) August Hogg
(c) Adam Joiner
(d) Harold Ickes
10. Britain wanted to keep whose oil out of the hands of the Russians and French in the early 1900s?
(b) South African
11. Who bought out Maurice Clark for $72,000?
(a) Marvin H. Davis
(b) Woodrow Wilson
(c) John D. Rockefeller
(d) Daniel Standard
12. In 1944, the Allies targeted what with bombings in Germany?
(a) German submarines
(b) Tank factories
(c) Synthetic fuel plants
(d) Concentration camps
13. Who set up the Eastern and General Syndicate to develop business opportunities in the Middle East?
(a) Thomas Neville
(b) Robert Nelson
(c) Winston Churchill
(d) Frank Holmes
14. Between 1911 and 1918, oil consumption rose how much in the United States?
15. What material was rationed in the U.S. during the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other country provided oil for Japan in the early 1930s?
2. Who toured the Middle East and believed it to be "the greatest prize in history" because of its oil?
3. What did England sign in 1907 to foil German penetration into the Middle East?
4. In October 1940, who bombed Dhahran?
5. Who was the first country to begin using the practice of "rents?"
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)