|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Royal Dutch company joined forces with what other oil company in 1907?
2. U.S. oil production rose how much between 1940 and 1945?
3. For producing nations, oil was a source of what?
4. Oil industry lore calls the war years what?
(a) The Saudi Alamo
(b) Germany's Fury
(c) The Stand in Arabia
(d) Time of the Hundred Men
5. By late 1944, 120,000 barrels of aviation gasoline were delivered daily to where?
(d) Channel Islands
6. What did Calouste Gulbenkian come to be known as after APOC and Shell gave him shares in their companies?
(a) King of Persia
(b) Controlling Interest
(c) Mr. Five Percent
(d) Oil Baron of Persia
7. The "horseless carriage" was developed by whom?
(a) Alexander Graham Bell
(b) Thomas Edison
(c) Orville Wright
(d) Henry Ford
8. Early in 1942, Hitler developed which plan, aimed at the Caucasus and beyond, to the oil fields of Iran and Iraq, and onward to India?
(a) Operation Caucasus
(b) Operation Soviet
(c) Operation Bleu
(d) Operation Volkswagon
9. What was the greatest "if" in the Middle East after WWII?
(a) The effects of a Russian invasion
(b) The creation of a Jewish state
(c) The technology for a transcontinent pipeline
(d) An uncertain future after Ibn Saud died
10. By 1950, what was the primary fuel source in America?
(d) Synthetic fuel
11. The Rothschilds created what company in 1902?
(a) Shell Oil Company
(b) Asiatic Petroleum Company
(c) Royal Dutch Company
(d) Standard Oil Company
12. Between 1911 and 1918, oil consumption rose how much in the United States?
13. Who struck a deal with Saudi Arabia for $9.5 million up front; $1 million a year, whether or not oil was pumped; and a royalty of $0.55 per barrel?
(a) J. Paul Getty
(b) David Ricardo
(c) David McNaughton
(d) Juan Pérez Alfonso
14. The "Neutral Zone" was between Saudi Arabia and which other country?
15. What product grew rapidly after its first delivery to England in 1861?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who subdued much of Arabia and negotiated the exchange of oil for money for his country?
2. J. N. Pews in 1876 pioneered the use of natural gas to light which city?
3. Who toured the Middle East and believed it to be "the greatest prize in history" because of its oil?
4. What was banned in 1943 in the U.S.?
5. Who tried to take over Britain's naval superiority in the 1890s, which instead strengthened Britain's resolve?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)