|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group of people is Folly doubtful about admitting to her fellowship?
2. What did Aaron, Saul, and David all point to as an excuse for their sins?
3. According to Folly, who despises money?
4. About whom is Folly speaking in the following: "They pay high tribute to folly in believing that what can't be refuted by argument can often be parried by laughter."
5. According to Folly, if a doctor is foolish, what soars higher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Folly argue that Fortune favors the foolish?
2. How does Folly respond to the argument that foolishness is an unhappy state?
3. What does Ecclesiastes say about folly?
4. Why does Folly say that kings like to be around fools?
5. How does Folly relate to sin in the cases of Aaron, Saul, David, and Paul?
6. Before using the Scriptures, which authorities does Folly cite as supporting her?
7. Does Folly state that monks are foolish?
8. According to Folly, which legendary age produced the happiest people, and why?
9. How does Folly differentiate between the two types of insanity?
10. According to Folly, which kind of authors are happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Folly spends some time on her "praise" of the follies of the Roman Catholic Church. List two members of the church and explain why they are foolish.
Essay Topic 2
Folly's main argument is that she brings happiness to men. Explain and give three examples of men who are made happier by Folly. Would you agree?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss references to marriage in the Praise of Folly. Were Folly's parents married? What is Folly's role in marriage? Does Erasmus have a favorable view of marriage?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)