|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book of the Bible does Folly first quote as speaking on her behalf?
2. According to Folly, who stretch the Holy Scriptures like a tanner with a hide?
3. Who does Folly say refutes pagan philosophers by their way of life rather than syllogisms?
4. Philosophers say that man can compensate for what nature has denied him by what?
5. How does Folly describe the schools where schoolmasters teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Folly explain that humans amuse the gods?
2. How does Folly relate to sin in the cases of Aaron, Saul, David, and Paul?
3. Describe the worship of the goddess Folly.
4. According to Folly, which kind of authors are happy?
5. How does Folly say that schoolmasters are indebted to her?
6. How does Folly argue that flattery is not incompatible with sincerity?
7. According to Folly, how did Christ show folly?
8. Does Folly state that monks are foolish?
9. Explain the communal form of Self-love, which Folly claims Nature has implanted.
10. Before using the Scriptures, which authorities does Folly cite as supporting her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the characteristic folly. Who displays folly, according to the narrator, Folly? In your opinion, is folly admirable?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of friendship in The Praise of Folly. How would you describe Erasmus and More's friendship? What does Folly say about friendship? Do you think Erasmus believed folly necessary for his own friendships?
Essay Topic 3
Folly maintains that she bears great similarity to Christianity. Give three of her reasons and discuss whether her praise is genuine or not.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)