|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does God reveal the mystery of salvation, according to Folly?
2. What do men gain by hunting, in Folly's opinion?
3. Which character represents "flattery given to another"?
4. Folly says that God takes great pleasure in whom?
5. What does the name "Bishop" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Folly respond to the argument that foolishness is an unhappy state?
2. Describe the worship of the goddess Folly.
3. According to Folly, who was happier: Gryllus or Odysseus? Why?
4. What does Ecclesiastes say about folly?
5. What example does Folly take from the animal kingdom to prove her point that the most foolish are the happiest?
6. Explain the communal form of Self-love, which Folly claims Nature has implanted.
7. What are naturally-born fools and idiots free from, according to Folly?
8. How does Folly argue that flattery is not incompatible with sincerity?
9. While interpreting Paul's words, "I speak as a fool, I am more," Folly digresses to speak about what?
10. Why does Folly say that kings like to be around fools?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The statement is made that only fools are allowed to speak the truth without giving offense. Is this why Erasmus used Folly? Do you think he offended people? Does Folly speak the truth? What is one example of when she does and one example of when she does not?
Essay Topic 2
Folly's main argument is that she brings happiness to men. Explain and give three examples of men who are made happier by Folly. Would you agree?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Self-love and Folly? How is Self-love necessary for friendship? How is deception necessary for Self-love?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)