|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Folly, who stretch the Holy Scriptures like a tanner with a hide?
2. Folly states that a single system of what provides continuous torture for life?
3. Folly argues that she alone can make sin what?
4. What do all artists have, according to Folly?
5. About whom is Folly speaking in the following: "They pay high tribute to folly in believing that what can't be refuted by argument can often be parried by laughter."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Folly respond to the argument that foolishness is an unhappy state?
2. How does Folly argue that Fortune favors the foolish?
3. According to Folly, which kind of authors are happy?
4. Before using the Scriptures, which authorities does Folly cite as supporting her?
5. How does Folly differentiate between the two types of insanity?
6. What examples does Folly give of the benevolent form of insanity?
7. Why does Folly say that kings like to be around fools?
8. How does Folly relate to sin in the cases of Aaron, Saul, David, and Paul?
9. While interpreting Paul's words, "I speak as a fool, I am more," Folly digresses to speak about what?
10. How does Folly explain that humans amuse the gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Folly maintains that she bears great similarity to Christianity. Give three of her reasons and discuss whether her praise is genuine or not.
Essay Topic 2
"There is merit in being attacked by Folly." Is the converse also true? Show three examples from the book in which Erasmus intended to attack with his praise.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of friendship in The Praise of Folly. How would you describe Erasmus and More's friendship? What does Folly say about friendship? Do you think Erasmus believed folly necessary for his own friendships?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)