|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Folly say that the stoics degrade in public?
2. Where was Folly born?
(a) The Islands of the Blest.
(b) Wandering Delos.
(c) The Island of Troy.
(d) A hollow cave.
3. How does Folly claim she is delivering her speech?
(a) Extempore, or unprepared.
(c) With great emotion.
(d) With intentionality and serious thought.
4. Whom does Folly praise?
(d) The king.
5. Who is the only one who can gladden the hearts of gods and men, according to Folly?
Short Answer Questions
1. Erasmus states that his praise of folly has not been altogether what?
2. What does Erasmus request the recipient of his book to be?
3. How does Folly describe the whole life of man?
4. Which soldier was "as cowardly in battle as he was skilled in speech-making"?
5. Which wise man was driven to drink hemlock because of wisdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Folly claim to be a god?
2. What does Folly say was her effect upon her audience?
3. Did Erasmus consider The Praise of Folly too frivolous for a theologian?
4. How does Folly explain that Self-love is related to her?
5. Does Folly have a good opinion of the children of wise men?
6. According to Folly, do philosophers make good kings?
7. In his Prefatory Letter, did Erasmus admit he wrote Praise of Folly with sarcasm?
8. How does Folly say that Jupiter bestows passion and reason to man?
9. Why is Folly dressed in unaccustomed garb?
10. What does Folly say is the happiest age of man, and why?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)