|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the father of Folly?
2. Who said, "Happy the states where either philosophers are kings or kings are philosophers"?
3. In which year did Erasmus date his Prefatory Letter?
4. If someone could look down upon the life of man as Jove does, what does Folly say he would see?
(a) Ease and comfort.
(b) Many blessings.
(c) Many disasters.
(d) Great folly.
5. Erasmus marvels that present-day ears can bear to hear only what?
(a) Pedantic poetry.
(b) Serious prose.
(c) Honorific titles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two gods in Folly's household?
2. How did Folly begin life?
3. Folly claims that all emotions belong to whom?
4. To whom did Erasmus dedicate The Praise of Folly?
5. How was Folly born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Folly dressed in unaccustomed garb?
2. Are women more or less foolish than men, according to Folly?
3. How does Folly describe her reputation?
4. What does Folly do for the elderly?
5. Does Folly speak highly of prudence?
6. Why does Folly say that she is necessary for war?
7. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
8. How does Folly claim to be responsible for art?
9. How does Folly say that Jupiter bestows passion and reason to man?
10. What benefits does Folly dispense to men?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)