|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Erasmus, nothing is so trivial as treating what in a trivial manner?
(a) Serious subjects.
(d) The mundane.
2. Who is the only one who can gladden the hearts of gods and men, according to Folly?
3. Who is the father of Folly?
4. What must one do to be considered a god, according to Folly?
(a) Help mortals.
(b) Be born of a god.
(c) Be immortal.
(d) Have divine powers.
5. What does Folly say that babies have that rewards those who look after them?
(a) The beauty of Helen.
(b) The charm of folly.
(d) The wisdom of folly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erasmus states that jokes can be handled in such a way that a reader finds more reward in them than in a what?
2. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
3. Which wise man was driven to drink hemlock because of wisdom?
4. According to Folly, who shows the way to perfect wisdom?
5. Folly states that a man must love whom in order to love anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
2. Did Erasmus anticipate criticism for his book? Why or why not?
3. Describe Folly's birthplace.
4. How long did Folly say she spent writing her speech?
5. What does Folly say about emotions in relation to wisdom?
6. What does Folly say was her effect upon her audience?
7. How does Folly describe her parentage?
8. Why does Folly consider her presence to be essential to friendship?
9. How does Folly describe her reputation?
10. In his Prefatory Letter, why did Erasmus marvel at the sensitivity of present-day ears?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)