|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Erasmus complains that many people find jokes against popes and princes more offensive than what?
2. Erasmus anticipates that critics will clamor that he is reviving what?
(a) Old Comedy and Tragedy.
(b) Old Comedy or Homer.
(c) Morality Plays.
(d) Old Comedy or Lucian.
3. Orators prepare long speeches to do what Folly does with her what?
4. In criticizing the men of his day, whom does Erasmus name?
(a) Several political leaders.
(b) Thomas More.
(c) The pope.
(d) No one.
5. Who is the only one who can gladden the hearts of gods and men, according to Folly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Folly state is necessary for friendship?
2. Erasmus follows the well-known popular proverb that states that a man should do what?
3. Which two nymphs nursed Folly?
4. According to Folly, what is the seed and source of all deeds which win praise?
5. Which age in a man's life does Folly describe as the happiest?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his Prefatory Letter, why did Erasmus marvel at the sensitivity of present-day ears?
2. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
3. Describe Folly's birthplace.
4. How does Folly say that Jupiter bestows passion and reason to man?
5. How long did Folly say she spent writing her speech?
6. Did Erasmus consider The Praise of Folly too frivolous for a theologian?
7. In his Prefatory Letter, did Erasmus admit he wrote Praise of Folly with sarcasm?
8. What does Folly say is the happiest age of man, and why?
9. Why is Folly dressed in unaccustomed garb?
10. Does Folly speak highly of prudence?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)