|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
2. Folly states that a man must be what in order to be a father?
(a) Handsome and charming.
(b) Foolish and fond.
(c) Wise and learned.
(d) Gentle and generous.
3. What first put the idea of The Praise of Folly into Erasmus's head?
(a) A humorous event on his trip.
(b) His dream.
(c) His friend's family name.
(d) A book he was reading.
4. Which age in a man's life does Folly describe as the happiest?
(a) The first.
(c) The last.
(d) The middle.
5. Which wise man was driven to drink hemlock because of wisdom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Erasmus says there is merit in being attacked by whom?
2. Which poet wrote, "For ignorance provides the happiest life"?
3. Erasmus follows the well-known popular proverb that states that a man should do what?
4. How does Folly describe a wise man without emotions?
5. Folly states that a man must love whom in order to love anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Folly consider her presence to be essential to friendship?
2. Did Erasmus consider The Praise of Folly too frivolous for a theologian?
3. How does Folly claim to be responsible for art?
4. Does Folly speak highly of prudence?
5. Are women more or less foolish than men, according to Folly?
6. What does Folly say about emotions in relation to wisdom?
7. Describe Folly's birthplace.
8. How long did Folly say she spent writing her speech?
9. Why is Folly dressed in unaccustomed garb?
10. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)