|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Folly say everyone finds delightful about adolescence?
2. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
3. Who said, "Happy the states where either philosophers are kings or kings are philosophers"?
4. What does Folly say would be rampant without her?
5. What does Folly say that the stoics degrade in public?
Short Answer Questions
1. Orators prepare long speeches to do what Folly does with her what?
2. Folly's father is the god of what?
3. Folly states that a man must love whom in order to love anyone?
4. Erasmus states that jokes can be handled in such a way that a reader finds more reward in them than in a what?
5. Erasmus predicts that his book will be criticized as being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his Prefatory Letter, did Erasmus admit he wrote Praise of Folly with sarcasm?
2. Why did Erasmus consider it unjust not to allow relaxations to those in the academic world?
3. Why does Folly say that she is necessary for war?
4. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
5. Are women more or less foolish than men, according to Folly?
6. What does Folly say about emotions in relation to wisdom?
7. How does Folly describe her reputation?
8. Does Folly have a good opinion of the children of wise men?
9. What does Folly say is the happiest age of man, and why?
10. What benefits does Folly dispense to men?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)