|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
2. Which two nymphs nursed Folly?
(a) Flattery and Innocence.
(b) Drunkenness and Ignorance.
(c) Drunkennes and Debauchery.
(d) Melancholy and Wistfulness.
3. Because Folly dispenses every benefit to all alike, what does she think she should be named?
(a) "Benefactor" of all men.
(b) "Alpha" of all gods.
(c) "Goddess Divine."
(d) "Fountain of Blessings"
4. What does Folly say would be rampant without her?
5. What is the least deceptive mirror of the mind?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Folly claim she is delivering her speech?
2. Whom did Erasmus make the narrator of his book?
3. Erasmus answers the charge that he is too sarcastic by saying that ________ has always enjoyed freedom to exercise their wit on the common life of man.
4. According to Folly, if wisdom became more widespread among men, what would result?
5. Folly dresses in unaccustomed garb because she is imitating whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Folly say that she is necessary for war?
2. Does Folly speak highly of prudence?
3. What does Folly say is the happiest age of man, and why?
4. How does Folly claim to be responsible for art?
5. How does Folly describe her reputation?
6. What does Folly do for the elderly?
7. Why does Folly claim to be a god?
8. Why did Erasmus ask More to be a champion of Folly?
9. How long did Folly say she spent writing her speech?
10. Does Folly agree with those who say that it is conceited to praise one's self?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)