|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Folly's father is the god of what?
2. Erasmus states that his praise of folly has not been altogether what?
3. Who does Folly say makes men satisfied with themselves?
4. How does Folly describe the whole life of man?
(a) Dust in the wind.
(b) A novel.
(c) A walk in the park.
(d) A stage play.
5. Erasmus remembers that someone wrote the last will and testament of the piglet Grunnius Corocotta, as mentioned by whom?
(c) The Apostle Paul.
(d) St. Jerome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What calmed a violent Roman mob?
2. Folly is in poor repute even amongst whom?
3. What first put the idea of The Praise of Folly into Erasmus's head?
4. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on what?
5. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Erasmus when he was writing The Praise of Folly?
2. Why does Folly say that she is necessary for war?
3. Did Erasmus consider The Praise of Folly too frivolous for a theologian?
4. Why did Erasmus ask More to be a champion of Folly?
5. How does Folly claim to be responsible for art?
6. Are women more or less foolish than men, according to Folly?
7. Does Folly have a good opinion of the children of wise men?
8. In his Prefatory Letter, did Erasmus admit he wrote Praise of Folly with sarcasm?
9. How does Folly explain that Self-love is related to her?
10. Why does Folly consider her presence to be essential to friendship?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)