|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which animal does Folly pity for being made to work with men?
(a) The ox.
(b) The horse.
(c) The dog.
(d) The donkey.
2. According to Folly, if a doctor is foolish, what soars higher?
(a) His mistakes.
(b) His ego.
(c) His wisdom.
(d) His reputation.
3. What did Aaron, Saul, and David all point to as an excuse for their sins?
4. Who comprises the happiest group of people, according to Folly?
(a) Idiots, fools, nitwits, and simpletons.
(b) Liars, cheats, robbers, and swindlers.
(c) The wise.
(d) The learned.
5. Those who take pride in their ancestry lead happy lives, thanks to whom?
6. Whom does Folly describe as "thrifty, impoverished, miserable, grumpy, harsh and unjust to himself, disagreeable and prematurely white-haired and senile . . ."?
(a) The fool.
(b) The wise man.
(c) The idiot.
(d) The aged man.
7. Folly believes that the happiest men use for their guide only whom?
8. Folly says that popes would lose all advantages if they showed what?
9. Which nation shows its self-love by claiming a monopoly on polite manners?
10. Unlike the goddess Diana, Folly does not demand what?
11. What is Folly's temple?
(a) The whole world.
(b) The minds of men.
(c) The sky.
(d) The ocean.
12. Who can speak the truth without giving offense, according to Folly?
13. Whom does Fortune favor?
(a) The slow and ambling.
(b) The lazy and insipid.
(c) The injudicious and venturesome.
(d) The cautious and wise.
14. Who are under the protection of the gods and Folly?
15. Which insect does Folly consider happy for following its natural instincts?
(a) The wasp.
(b) The bee.
(c) The butterfly.
(d) The grasshopper.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Stoics believed that nothing is as pitiable as what?
2. Euripides says that the wise man has two what?
3. In creation, God forbade man to eat of which tree?
4. Which book of the Bible does Folly first quote as speaking on her behalf?
5. Which god claims to free the mind from care?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)