|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which god claims to free the mind from care?
2. According to Folly, who despises money?
(a) The merchant.
(b) The fool.
(c) The greedy.
(d) The wise man.
3. Folly says that to be foolish is not to be miserable, but to be what?
4. Whom does Folly describe as "thrifty, impoverished, miserable, grumpy, harsh and unjust to himself, disagreeable and prematurely white-haired and senile . . ."?
(a) The aged man.
(b) The wise man.
(c) The fool.
(d) The idiot.
5. According to Folly, man's happiness depends not upon facts, but upon what?
(a) His opinions.
(b) His possessions.
(c) His friends.
(d) His money.
6. According to Folly, if a doctor is foolish, what soars higher?
(a) His ego.
(b) His reputation.
(c) His mistakes.
(d) His wisdom.
7. How does Folly describe the schools where schoolmasters teach?
(a) Storehouses of knowledge.
(b) Citadels of wisdom.
(c) Quiet places of study.
(d) Treadmills and torture chambers.
8. Folly states that Christ's disciples were told not to use what in defending themselves?
(b) Witty answers.
(c) God's wisdom.
(d) Their own intelligence.
9. Folly states that man's mind is most susceptible to what?
10. Because they are amusing, Folly claims that fools are the favorites of whom?
(d) The gods.
11. How many statues does Folly have?
(a) As many as there are stars in the sky.
(b) As many as there are men who wear her image.
(c) As many as there are fish.
(d) As many as there are jesters.
12. Which nation shows its self-love by claiming a monopoly on polite manners?
13. Unlike the goddess Diana, Folly does not demand what?
14. What did Aaron, Saul, and David all point to as an excuse for their sins?
15. In the Holy Scriptures, which man says "I speak as a fool, I am more"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In creation, God forbade man to eat of which tree?
2. Folly observes priests doing what with their duties?
3. What do men gain by hunting, in Folly's opinion?
4. When did Christ first make himself a fool, in Folly's opinion?
5. Who, according to Folly, interpret the Holy Scripture to fit their own purposes?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)