|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Erasmus, nothing is so trivial as treating what in a trivial manner?
(c) Serious subjects.
(d) The mundane.
2. What grows in the place of Folly's birth?
(c) The gardens of Adonis.
(d) The tree of life.
3. Whom did Erasmus make the narrator of his book?
(d) The pope.
4. Erasmus says he wants to survey the ridiculous rather than the what?
5. Folly dresses in unaccustomed garb because she is imitating whom?
(b) The Sophists.
6. What is the least deceptive mirror of the mind?
7. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
8. Erasmus believes he is not writing sarcasm, but what instead?
(a) Innocent jokes.
(b) Criticism and dissent.
(c) Warning and advice.
(d) Allegorical interpretation.
9. Through ignorance, thoughtlessness, and forgetfulness, what effect does Folly have on man?
(a) Shame and infamy.
(b) Desire to leave earth.
(c) Reluctance to leave life.
10. Whom does Folly consider her sister?
11. Who are the two gods in Folly's household?
(a) Revelry and Sound Sleep.
(b) Zeus and Mars.
(c) Zeus and Theseus.
(d) Mirth and Longevity.
12. Erasmus anticipates that critics will clamor that he is reviving what?
(a) Old Comedy and Tragedy.
(b) Old Comedy or Lucian.
(c) Old Comedy or Homer.
(d) Morality Plays.
13. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
14. What calmed a violent Roman mob?
(a) A fable.
(b) A comedy.
(c) A storm.
(d) A speech.
15. Why are women willing to repeat childbirth, in Folly's opinion?
(b) Desire to please her husband.
(c) Maternal instinct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Erasmus name as a famous author who wrote frivolity?
2. By Stoic definition, what does folly mean?
3. What does Folly say everyone finds delightful about adolescence?
4. Who is the only one who can gladden the hearts of gods and men, according to Folly?
5. Folly's father is the god of what?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)