|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Folly describe the whole life of man?
(a) A stage play.
(b) A novel.
(c) Dust in the wind.
(d) A walk in the park.
2. Erasmus says there is merit in being attacked by whom?
(b) The king.
3. What is the least deceptive mirror of the mind?
4. What happens when Folly begins addressing the crowd?
(a) They become mad.
(b) They become cheerful.
(c) They start jeering.
(d) They fall asleep.
5. Who segregated passions from the wise man?
(a) The Sophists.
(c) The Epicureans.
(d) The Stoics.
6. Folly states that men create art because of a thirst for what?
7. What does Folly say would be rampant without her?
8. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
9. Who is the father of Folly?
10. What is unknown in the place of Folly's birth?
(a) Youth, immaturity, and pain.
(b) Toil, old age, and sickness.
(d) Harsh words or war.
11. Orators prepare long speeches to do what Folly does with her what?
12. Erasmus complains that many people find jokes against popes and princes more offensive than what?
13. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
14. What calmed a violent Roman mob?
(a) A speech.
(b) A storm.
(c) A fable.
(d) A comedy.
15. Erasmus remembers that someone wrote the last will and testament of the piglet Grunnius Corocotta, as mentioned by whom?
(a) The Apostle Paul.
(b) St. Jerome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erasmus anticipates that critics will clamor that he is reviving what?
2. Whom did Erasmus make the narrator of his book?
3. Erasmus predicts that his book will be criticized as being what?
4. Who does Folly say makes men satisfied with themselves?
5. What does Folly state is necessary for friendship?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)