|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Folly say that babies have that rewards those who look after them?
(a) The charm of folly.
(b) The wisdom of folly.
(d) The beauty of Helen.
2. How does Folly describe a wise man without emotions?
(a) An animal.
(b) A doormat.
(c) A puppet.
(d) A monster.
3. Erasmus predicts that his book will be criticized as being what?
(b) Frivolous and sarcastic.
(c) Treacherous and rebellious.
(d) Immature and poorly written.
4. Folly states that not wanting more than your share of wisdom is a true sign of what?
5. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
6. How was Folly born?
(a) Her father laid with a nymph.
(b) Her father made her spring from his brain.
(c) She does not know.
(d) Her father married her mother.
7. Erasmus believes he is not writing sarcasm, but what instead?
(a) Innocent jokes.
(b) Criticism and dissent.
(c) Allegorical interpretation.
(d) Warning and advice.
8. Whom did Erasmus make the narrator of his book?
(a) The pope.
9. According to Erasmus, nothing is more entertaining than treating what in such a way as to make it clear you are doing anything but trifling with them?
(b) Political leaders.
(d) Serious subjects.
10. Folly's father is the god of what?
11. Who speaks at the beginning of The Praise of Folly?
12. Where was Folly born?
(a) The Island of Troy.
(b) Wandering Delos.
(c) A hollow cave.
(d) The Islands of the Blest.
13. What does Folly state is necessary for friendship?
14. According to Folly, who provides all advantages in life?
15. Whom did the ancient sophists praise?
(a) Gods and heroes.
(d) The learned.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Folly, who shows the way to perfect wisdom?
2. Because Folly dispenses every benefit to all alike, what does she think she should be named?
3. Who said, "Happy the states where either philosophers are kings or kings are philosophers"?
4. What is the best name for those who are complete fools, but try to pass as wise men?
5. Which wise man was driven to drink hemlock because of wisdom?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)