|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must one do to be considered a god, according to Folly?
(a) Be born of a god.
(b) Have divine powers.
(c) Be immortal.
(d) Help mortals.
2. Who segregated passions from the wise man?
(a) The Sophists.
(c) The Epicureans.
(d) The Stoics.
3. What does Erasmus request the recipient of his book to be?
(a) A persecutor of Folly.
(b) A dedicated follower of Folly.
(c) An editor of his book.
(d) A stout champion to Folly.
4. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
5. In criticizing the men of his day, whom does Erasmus name?
(a) Thomas More.
(b) Several political leaders.
(c) No one.
(d) The pope.
6. How does Folly claim she is delivering her speech?
(a) With great emotion.
(c) Extempore, or unprepared.
(d) With intentionality and serious thought.
7. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
8. Folly considers emotions to be what in relation to wisdom?
(a) Slaves and subjects.
(b) Guides and incentives.
9. Whom does Folly praise?
(d) The king.
10. Erasmus says there is merit in being attacked by whom?
(a) The king.
11. Through ignorance, thoughtlessness, and forgetfulness, what effect does Folly have on man?
(a) Desire to leave earth.
(c) Shame and infamy.
(d) Reluctance to leave life.
12. Which two nymphs nursed Folly?
(a) Drunkenness and Ignorance.
(b) Melancholy and Wistfulness.
(c) Flattery and Innocence.
(d) Drunkennes and Debauchery.
13. Whom does Folly consider her sister?
14. Folly is in poor repute even amongst whom?
(b) The learned.
(c) The noblemen.
(d) The greatest fools.
15. According to Erasmus, nothing is more entertaining than treating what in such a way as to make it clear you are doing anything but trifling with them?
(a) Serious subjects.
(d) Political leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Folly say everyone finds delightful about adolescence?
2. Who is the father of Folly?
3. According to Folly, what kind of man is unlucky in regards to children?
4. What does Folly say that babies have that rewards those who look after them?
5. Which wise man was driven to drink hemlock because of wisdom?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)