|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Folly born?
(a) Her father laid with a nymph.
(b) Her father made her spring from his brain.
(c) She does not know.
(d) Her father married her mother.
2. What is the Greek word for "folly"?
3. What does Folly say that the stoics degrade in public?
4. Whom does Folly consider her sister?
5. How did Folly begin life?
(b) Running and jumping.
(c) Smiling sweetly.
6. Erasmus states that anyone who believes himself injured by Praise of Folly betrays what?
(b) A moral awareness.
(c) A guilty conscience.
7. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
8. What first put the idea of The Praise of Folly into Erasmus's head?
(a) His dream.
(b) A book he was reading.
(c) His friend's family name.
(d) A humorous event on his trip.
9. What does Folly state is necessary for friendship?
10. Whom does Folly consider more foolish than men?
11. Who is the father of Folly?
12. Who does Folly say makes men satisfied with themselves?
13. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
14. According to Folly, to whom does life owe its beginning?
15. Who said, "Happy the states where either philosophers are kings or kings are philosophers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Folly's opinion, what develops prudence?
2. According to Folly, if wisdom became more widespread among men, what would result?
3. Folly dresses in unaccustomed garb because she is imitating whom?
4. Erasmus states that his praise of folly has not been altogether what?
5. Folly considers emotions to be what in relation to wisdom?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)