|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Orators prepare long speeches to do what Folly does with her what?
2. What does Folly say everyone finds delightful about adolescence?
3. Which nymph among Folly's aids claps her hands, with laughter in her eyes?
4. Who does Folly say makes men satisfied with themselves?
5. What must one do to be considered a god, according to Folly?
(a) Have divine powers.
(b) Help mortals.
(c) Be immortal.
(d) Be born of a god.
6. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on what?
(a) A stagecoach.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A boat.
7. Who considers themselves gods on earth if they can use Greek words in their speeches?
8. Which soldier was "as cowardly in battle as he was skilled in speech-making"?
9. If someone could look down upon the life of man as Jove does, what does Folly say he would see?
(a) Great folly.
(b) Ease and comfort.
(c) Many disasters.
(d) Many blessings.
10. Who is the only one who can gladden the hearts of gods and men, according to Folly?
11. Folly states that a man must love whom in order to love anyone?
(c) His wife.
12. Folly is the true bestower of what?
(b) Long life.
(d) Good things.
13. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
14. Whom did the ancient sophists praise?
(a) The learned.
(b) Gods and heroes.
15. By Stoic definition, what does folly mean?
(a) Given to frivolity.
(b) Moved by the passions.
(c) Belonging to women.
(d) Without wisdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Folly dresses in unaccustomed garb because she is imitating whom?
2. What does Folly accuse of causing the bloom of youthful beauty to fade?
3. Where was Folly born?
4. To what does Folly recall the elderly?
5. In criticizing the men of his day, whom does Erasmus name?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)