|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Folly state is necessary for a woman to agree to wedlock?
2. Folly states that men create art because of a thirst for what?
3. Which of the following does Erasmus name as a famous author who wrote frivolity?
4. Erasmus states that jokes can be handled in such a way that a reader finds more reward in them than in a what?
(a) A riddle.
(b) A play.
(c) A treatise.
(d) An argument.
5. Erasmus follows the well-known popular proverb that states that a man should do what?
(a) Speak with false humility.
(b) Praise others before himself.
(c) Defame himself.
(d) Praise himself, if no one else will.
6. In criticizing the men of his day, whom does Erasmus name?
(a) No one.
(b) The pope.
(c) Several political leaders.
(d) Thomas More.
7. Erasmus anticipates that critics will clamor that he is reviving what?
(a) Old Comedy and Tragedy.
(b) Old Comedy or Homer.
(c) Old Comedy or Lucian.
(d) Morality Plays.
8. According to Folly, if wisdom became more widespread among men, what would result?
(a) More suicide.
(b) Less suicide.
(c) More compassion.
(d) Less compassion.
9. Because Folly dispenses every benefit to all alike, what does she think she should be named?
(a) "Goddess Divine."
(b) "Fountain of Blessings"
(c) "Benefactor" of all men.
(d) "Alpha" of all gods.
10. How does Folly describe the whole life of man?
(a) A stage play.
(b) A novel.
(c) A walk in the park.
(d) Dust in the wind.
11. What does Folly say that babies have that rewards those who look after them?
(a) The wisdom of folly.
(b) The beauty of Helen.
(c) The charm of folly.
12. What does Folly say that the stoics degrade in public?
13. How did Folly begin life?
(a) Smiling sweetly.
(c) Running and jumping.
14. Folly is the true bestower of what?
(b) Good things.
(c) Long life.
15. In Folly's opinion, what develops prudence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unknown in the place of Folly's birth?
2. According to Folly, who shows the way to perfect wisdom?
3. Where was Folly born?
4. How does Folly claim she is delivering her speech?
5. Whom did Erasmus make the narrator of his book?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)