|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11 - 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the father of Folly?
2. Erasmus follows the well-known popular proverb that states that a man should do what?
(a) Defame himself.
(b) Speak with false humility.
(c) Praise others before himself.
(d) Praise himself, if no one else will.
3. Through ignorance, thoughtlessness, and forgetfulness, what effect does Folly have on man?
(a) Reluctance to leave life.
(b) Desire to leave earth.
(c) Shame and infamy.
4. How does Folly describe a wise man without emotions?
(a) A puppet.
(b) An animal.
(c) A monster.
(d) A doormat.
5. What does Zeus have to put aside in order to make a child?
(a) His cloak and dagger.
(b) His divinity and anger.
(c) His thunderbolt and grimness.
(d) His previous wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "Happy the states where either philosophers are kings or kings are philosophers"?
2. According to the Prefatory Letter, Erasmus wrote The Praise of Folly on his journey to England from where?
3. Who does Folly say makes men satisfied with themselves?
4. In Folly's opinion, what develops prudence?
5. Which wise man was driven to drink hemlock because of wisdom?
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)