* Erasmus was writing a letter to Thomas More to dedicate the book to him.
* Erasmus explains that he wrote The Praise of Folly for fun.
* More's family name was similar in meaning to folly and More liked jokes.
* Erasmus defends satire and comedy.
Chapter 1 - 4
* Folly introduces herself.
* Folly claims that she makes people cheerful.
* Folly imitates the Sophists by giving a eulogy, for herself.
* Folly defends herself for praising herself.
* Folly claims that she will speak extemporaneously.
* Folly refuses to give herself a definition.
* Folly states she is recognizable.
* Folly insults rhetoricians.
* Folly is the daughter of Plutus and Youth.
* Folly was born in the Islands of the Blest.
* Drunkenness and Ignorance nursed Folly.
* Folly has several aids.
Chapters 5 - 10
* Folly is divine.
* Folly is found among the youth and the aged.
* Folly influences gods.
* No human could be happy without Folly, and all are influenced...
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)