|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Art finally insist that Sparks take?
2. How many head of cattle does Amigo claim to have seen?
3. How long had the ranch been empty?
4. Where does Donald Martin claim to live?
5. Why does Donald Martin claim to have Drew's cows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the men believe that the rustlers and their cattle might have stopped for the night?
2. What bothers Gil most about the posse and their intentions?
3. Why don't the men in the posse believe Martin when he explains the situation to them?
4. What does Martin beg the posse to do in order to give him and his men the benefit of the doubt?
5. When the stage coach guard fires on the posse, who does he hit and how is he aware that he has hit anyone?
6. What does Sparks tell Art about as they wait in the shadows?
7. What happens when Mapes fires the shot that signaled the time to whip the horses out?
8. What evidence is revealed when Juan attempts to escape that seems to be an irrefutable link between the three men and Kinkaid's death?
9. What is the tone of the conversation between Gerard and Art as they are on the trail to Pike's Hole and how does Gerald see men and women in general?
10. What makes Gil confront Tetley and why do they almost come to blows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is most vocal in his objections to Farnley's intentions? Why? Who is the only person who stands publicly with him? What is the general tone of the remainder of people? Why does one person try to convince smaller groups to think from a more legal perspective? What would he rather see happen?
Essay Topic 2
Who comes to Art with a version of a confession? Why? What is so disturbing to him about the whole incident? How does he arrive at the conclusions that he does? What does he tell Art that he knew well in advance? Why did he not do anything about it? How does Art respond to the entire confession? What does he recommend? What conclusion do Art and Gil both reach? Why is that a paradox?
Essay Topic 3
Who asks Art to accompany Joyce as he goes to get Judge Tyler? What is the purpose of asking the Judge to attend? What do they hope he will accomplish? What happens to the mob while Art and Joyce are gone? What offer does Canby make in an effort to influence the intentions of the group? Does it work?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)