|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's gun does Juan have?
2. Who is in the stage?
3. Who's ranch does Martin claim to have purchased?
4. Where does Martin claim to have gotten the cattle?
5. What does Art do that earns him the ire of one of the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the fact that Art would give Sparks his coat, and why would many men not have done so?
2. What evidence is revealed when Juan attempts to escape that seems to be an irrefutable link between the three men and Kinkaid's death?
3. What group of riders heads the posse and what do they discover at the mountain path leading to the town of Pike's Hole?
4. What happens when Mapes fires the shot that signaled the time to whip the horses out?
5. What does Donald Martin tell the posse when he is questioned about the fact that he has cattle with Drew's brand on them in his possession?
6. What bothers Gil most about the posse and their intentions?
7. How does Gil react when he realizes that Rose is one of the coach's passengers, and why?
8. Why don't the men in the posse believe Martin when he explains the situation to them?
9. Who does Art find himself standing next to when the posse scatters after someone is convinced that they heard someone coming and what does Art do despite Sparks' objections?
10. Where do the men believe that the rustlers and their cattle might have stopped for the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the members of the posse hear coming? How do they respond at first? When they decide to stop the stage to get information, how does the driver respond? What do the driver and guard believe is happening? How do they respond at first? Who suffers for the misconception? What happens? Who manages to make them understand that they are safe to pull over?
Essay Topic 2
Who comes to Art with a version of a confession? Why? What is so disturbing to him about the whole incident? How does he arrive at the conclusions that he does? What does he tell Art that he knew well in advance? Why did he not do anything about it? How does Art respond to the entire confession? What does he recommend? What conclusion do Art and Gil both reach? Why is that a paradox?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Tetley Sr. and his son not get along? Why does Tetley Sr. insist that Gerald go with him and the group? What is Tetley Sr. hoping to accomplish by forcing his son to participate? What does Gerald tell Art on the way to Pike's Hole? What would he rather do?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)