|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can Donald Martin not produce a bill of sale?
(a) He claims to have used it to start the fire so they could keep warm.
(b) He claims Drew told him he didn't need one.
(c) He claims Drew was in the pasture and couldn't give him one.
(d) He claims to have had one but lost it.
2. Who does Bartlett recognize?
(a) Francisco Morez.
(b) Jesus Martinez.
(c) Alvin Hartick.
(d) Donald Martin.
3. Who does Martin claim is waiting for him on his ranch?
(a) His wife and her sister.
(b) His wife and two kids.
(c) His mother and two daughters.
(d) His sister and her husband.
4. How many people stand with Davies when a vote is taken the next morning?
5. How did Gil refer to Rose over the winter with Art?
(a) As his last affair.
(b) As his first love.
(c) As the most intelligent woman he knew.
(d) As a goddess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sparks claim is in all men?
2. Where does Martin claim to have sold off his own cattle?
3. Where does the bullet hit him?
4. Who does Farnley want to personally hang?
5. What is the name of the only valley between the men and Pike's Hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. When it is clear to Martin that the posse is not willing to help him to prove their innocence, what does Martin request?
2. Why is the other evidence offered by Martin to support his claims of innocence refuted by the posse members?
3. What surprises Tetley and the rest of his group when they move in to confront the men they suspect of rustling and killing Kinkaid?
4. When the stage coach guard fires on the posse, who does he hit and how is he aware that he has hit anyone?
5. Who does Tetley direct to be responsible for whipping the horses out from underneath the men who are about to be hanged and why?
6. How does Gil react when he realizes that Rose is one of the coach's passengers, and why?
7. What is unusual about the fact that Art would give Sparks his coat, and why would many men not have done so?
8. What does Martin beg the posse to do in order to give him and his men the benefit of the doubt?
9. What happens when Mapes fires the shot that signaled the time to whip the horses out?
10. What does Donald Martin tell the posse when he is questioned about the fact that he has cattle with Drew's brand on them in his possession?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)