|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everyone believe Art should do?
(a) Stay and sleep by the fire while they go.
(b) Continue with the group.
(c) Go down in the stage to town.
(d) Head down with Gil.
2. What does Sparks claim is in all men?
3. What kind of brand does Amigo describe, cinching the fact that the men he saw were the rustlers?
(a) Drew's double X brand.
(b) Drew's joined H brand.
(c) Drew's double S brand.
(d) Drew's joined M brand.
4. Who fired the shot?
(a) Jimmy Carnes.
(b) Jerry Carnes.
(c) Billy Cromwell.
(d) James Small.
5. Who appoints himself as their leader?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Donald Martin not produce a bill of sale?
2. What does Martin request when Tetley has a tree prepared to hang them?
3. Which group is Art assigned to when the posse divides to approach the suspected rustlers?
4. Why does Donald Martin claim to have Drew's cows?
5. How many people stand with Davies when a vote is taken the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is revealed when Juan attempts to escape that seems to be an irrefutable link between the three men and Kinkaid's death?
2. What surprises Tetley and the rest of his group when they move in to confront the men they suspect of rustling and killing Kinkaid?
3. Who does Tetley direct to be responsible for whipping the horses out from underneath the men who are about to be hanged and why?
4. What group of riders heads the posse and what do they discover at the mountain path leading to the town of Pike's Hole?
5. What was the argument that Martin has with Davies, and why was it so important that Martin was willing to risk further wrath from his executioners?
6. What happens when the stage rides by the group on the mountain road to Pike's Hole?
7. What does Donald Martin tell the posse when he is questioned about the fact that he has cattle with Drew's brand on them in his possession?
8. What is unusual about the fact that Art would give Sparks his coat, and why would many men not have done so?
9. Who does Art find himself standing next to when the posse scatters after someone is convinced that they heard someone coming and what does Art do despite Sparks' objections?
10. When it is clear to Martin that the posse is not willing to help him to prove their innocence, what does Martin request?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)