• Art Croft and Gil Carter have spent the winter watching over a herd of cattle.
• They are both eager to return to civilization once the snow is gone.
• The trip to Bridger's Wells is a mostly quiet one, each alone with their own thoughts.
• The first stop they make when arriving in town is Canby's saloon.
• Inside, they go through a ritual conversation involving one of the pictures on the wall.
• Then, finally, they order themselves a whiskey each and tell Canby to leave the bottle.
• Gil finally gets around to asking the question on his mind for most of the winter.
• He wants to know if Rose Mapen, his girl, is still in town.
• Canby tells him that Rose has been gone for a few weeks already.
• The local women in town, threatened by her presence, ran her out of town.
• Gil is more than just...
This section contains 3,092 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)