|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does the reporter ask Peter that he does not answer?
2. Where in his house does Cardwell keep his art collection?
3. Under what pretense does Anne claim that she has the masterpiece painting?
4. What information do Dee and Mike give Lipsey?
5. What did Lipsey and Black give for a reason for giving Mike fifty thousand pounds each?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian discover about his Modigliani and what does he first plan on doing about it? How is that plan obstructed? What is his second plan? How is that obstructed? What is his third plan?
2. What occurs in the bar when Lipsey returns to Poglio and finds Dee and Mike there?
3. What does Arnaz's last line, " I had faith in you baby" suggest about the entire scam?
4. Who is Mandingo and how does he get involved in Cardwell's collection?
5. How does Julian continue his search after he leaves the priest?
6. What phone call does Louis Broom get at the newspaper that surprises him?
7. How had Julian changed since the last time that Samantha had seen him now that he is ready to open his gallery?
8. How does the search for the Modigliani bring Dee and Mike closer together?
9. How does Tom get what is rightfully coming to him?
10. How does Mike get hold of the real Modigliani?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter states one of the major themes of the novel when he calls the newspaper to demand an inexpensive place for artists to sell their work. Charles comments to Willow about the demand and its lack of permanence on the art dealer. What is Follett telling the reader in regards to profit versus what is due to the artist?
Essay Topic 2
How does the scene at the party in which Joe Davies reveals Tom's past reveal the values of the characters and the society in which they live? What contribution does this scene make to the whole novel?
Essay Topic 3
What emotional journey does Samantha take from the start of the novel to its completion? Why does Follett include this character in the novel other than her being a thread that ties the mystery?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)