|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Mike ask Dee that she says no to?
2. What was it that the priest thought made the cheese better?
3. Why are Anne and Mitch richly dressed at the Hilton?
4. What does Julian do with his painting?
5. Where do the art dealers meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who next comes to visit the priest in Poglio? What information is he looking for and what does the priest tell him?
2. How had Julian changed since the last time that Samantha had seen him now that he is ready to open his gallery?
3. How does the search for the Modigliani bring Dee and Mike closer together?
4. What does Julian discover about his Modigliani and what does he first plan on doing about it? How is that plan obstructed? What is his second plan? How is that obstructed? What is his third plan?
5. How does the old man sitting in front of the bar in Poglio play a joke on Dee and Mike?
6. Why does Louis Broom decide not to tell his editor about the phone call he receives concerning the forgeries and what does he do instead?
7. What is Louis' hand in the story of the forgeries once he has the professor identify the painting as such?
8. What occurs in the bar when Lipsey returns to Poglio and finds Dee and Mike there?
9. How does Mike get hold of the real Modigliani?
10. How does Julian continue his search after he leaves the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After speaking with Anita, Samantha makes a decision that she takes to her agent. There she explains how she feels about her career. Explain her feelings and analyze how these thoughts are idealistic in an industry where everyone is out to make a great deal of money.
Essay Topic 2
Past events in the novel affect both positively and negatively the present actions and attitudes of certain characters. Choose a character and explain how the past event and the character's relationship to it, contributes to the meaning of the whole novel.
Essay Topic 3
How is the end of the novel a twist in regards to Mike Arnaz? Did the reader expect Mike to be such a major player in the scandal? Does the twist add to the depth of the novel? In what way does it or does it not? Did Follett intend to surprise the reader? Does it play into the genre?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)