|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many paintings does Peter load into the van?
2. Who is Mike?
3. What was Anne afraid of during the whole operation of their scam?
4. Who gives Julian directions to the bungalow in Dorset village?
5. What does Lipsey tell the Contessa that he does for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike scam Julian and Lipsey in regard to the painting?
2. Why does the priest lie to Mike and Dee about the Danielli family?
3. Why does Louis Broom decide not to tell his editor about the phone call he receives concerning the forgeries and what does he do instead?
4. What phone call does Louis Broom get at the newspaper that surprises him?
5. How does Tom get what is rightfully coming to him?
6. How does the old man sitting in front of the bar in Poglio play a joke on Dee and Mike?
7. Why does Tom go visit Bill Wright?
8. How do Mitch and Peter respond to the write-up in the newspaper about themselves?
9. How does the search for the Modigliani bring Dee and Mike closer together?
10. What does Lipsey find at the chateau that Mike sends him to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter states one of the major themes of the novel when he calls the newspaper to demand an inexpensive place for artists to sell their work. Charles comments to Willow about the demand and its lack of permanence on the art dealer. What is Follett telling the reader in regards to profit versus what is due to the artist?
Essay Topic 2
After speaking with Anita, Samantha makes a decision that she takes to her agent. There she explains how she feels about her career. Explain her feelings and analyze how these thoughts are idealistic in an industry where everyone is out to make a great deal of money.
Essay Topic 3
What emotional journey does Samantha take from the start of the novel to its completion? Why does Follett include this character in the novel other than her being a thread that ties the mystery?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)