|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What painting is the first one that Mitch and Anne offer for sale?
2. What does Willow see in the corner by the door as he is about to leave?
3. What question does the reporter ask Peter that he does not answer?
4. What does Anne want to do soon after she gets home?
5. Who has the real Modigliani?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do each of the art dealers feel about the request from the forgers and what agreement do they come to?
2. How does Mike scam Julian and Lipsey in regard to the painting?
3. What does Arnaz's last line, " I had faith in you baby" suggest about the entire scam?
4. What is Louis' hand in the story of the forgeries once he has the professor identify the painting as such?
5. What does Lipsey find at the chateau that Mike sends him to?
6. Why does the priest lie to Mike and Dee about the Danielli family?
7. Why does Arnaz show up at Peter's door, and what does he want?
8. What does Lampeth say to Willow about the effect the forgery scam will have on the art world?
9. What does Julian discover about his Modigliani and what does he first plan on doing about it? How is that plan obstructed? What is his second plan? How is that obstructed? What is his third plan?
10. How does the transaction with Crowforth go and then all of the subsequent transactions even though the reader is not given the details?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the titles of the chapters metaphors?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you identify the mystery of the novel and explain how the investigation illuminates the meaning of the work as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
How does the alienation of Peter Usher from the art world reveal the art society's assumptions and moral values?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)