|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peter Usher's second job?
2. What is Jack Best's specific profession?
3. How does Julian blackmail Sarah?
4. What three items does Lipsey have to begin his investigation?
5. How much money does Peter and Mitch's backer put up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe feel about the news that Samantha is leaving film, and what does he do about it?
2. Whose names does Mitch use to set up the bank accounts he and Peter will need? Why does he choose these names?
3. How does Lipsey fail in getting information from the old man who knew Modigliani and who had given information to Dee?
4. How does Lipsey make his way into Dee's apartment?
5. What information does the rabbi give Dee that will help her further her search?
6. After leaving Dee's apartment, where does Lipsey trace her to and what does he discover there?
7. How does the novel open? What characters are introduced? Where are they? Why are they there? What set-up is given right away about Dee and her future?
8. What point does Samantha attempt to make about the movies she has made and the movies that she wants to make?
9. Why does Julian blame his wife, Sarah, for his impotency?
10. What does Julian find when he returns home from selling Sarah's car, and how does he use it to his advantage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the alienation of Peter Usher from the art world reveal the art society's assumptions and moral values?
Essay Topic 2
How does Poglio differ from London? Compare and contrast the two places, tell what each place represents and how their contrast contributes to the meaning of the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Charles Lampeth. How do his decisions affect other characters? How do they affect the plot? How does his role affect the work as a whole?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)