|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dee want to write her thesis about?
(a) The relationship between art and experience.
(b) The relationship between art and drugs.
(c) The relationship between art and youth.
(d) The relationship between drugs and literature.
2. What part does Anne play in the scam?
(a) She is giving the men food and drink.
(b) She is writing letters.
(c) She is watching for any visitors.
(d) She is coaching Peter and Mitch.
3. What is the subject of the painting of the contest between Peter and Mad Mitch?
(a) A peasant.
(b) A dog.
(c) A field of flowers.
(d) A gravedigger.
4. What does Julian decide to do in order to get the cash he needs to travel?
(a) Sell his wife's car.
(b) Sell his wife's jewelry.
(c) Forge one of his wife's checks.
(d) Rob a bank.
5. When Julian arrives home after seeing Jack Best at the office, what does he find Sarah has done most of the day?
(a) Watch the gardener.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dee go to see the old man who lives above the fish shop?
2. How does Lipsey get rough with the old man who will not answer his questions?
3. What is the relationship between Willow and Lampeth?
4. Why does Lipsey choose an inexpensive hotel room to stay in during his investigation?
5. What is Jack Best's specific profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Modigliani and what significance does he have to the story?
2. What will Anne's role be in the forgery scam?
3. How is mystery set up almost immediately?
4. How does the novel open? What characters are introduced? Where are they? Why are they there? What set-up is given right away about Dee and her future?
5. After leaving Dee's apartment, where does Lipsey trace her to and what does he discover there?
6. What contest do Peter and Mitch have and why? What comes out of the contest?
7. What lecture does Peter give his art students and why?
8. What happens to Peter after the incident at Belgraves?
9. Why does Julian blame his wife, Sarah, for his impotency?
10. Where does Dee's search for the painting begin and why is it a bust?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)