|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lampeth say is the reason for the increase in the art market?
(a) The Americans becoming art conscious after WWII.
(b) The high interest of the wealthy Europeans.
(c) The need for investment after WWII.
(d) The revival of the Renaissance.
2. What publication does Jack Best work for?
(a) London Magazine.
(b) Paris Tribune.
(c) New York Times.
(d) London Times.
3. What is baby Vibeke doing while her parents are preparing for the scam?
(a) Playing with a plastic box.
(c) Watching cartoons.
(d) Playing with a babysitter.
4. What does Lipsey have for lunch after he has investigated all morning?
(a) A burger and beer.
(b) Duck and a cigar.
(c) Steak and red wine.
(d) Fish and white wine.
5. What does Charles Lampeth miss as he reflects about life after dinner at his friends?
(a) His friend's chef.
(b) The kind of parties and balls only now seen in historical movies.
(c) The cigars they used to smoke.
(d) The conversations they used to have.
6. What does Peter Usher go to see Mr. Dixon about?
(a) Selling one of Peter's paintings.
(b) Commissioning Peter for a painting.
(c) Showing Peter's work in his gallery.
(d) Finding out gossip about Lampeth.
7. What news does Lampeth give Peter Usher at the gallery reception?
(a) They will use The New Room to show his work.
(b) His showing will be postponed.
(c) They will never show his work.
(d) They will show his work with Modigliani's
8. What is the subject of the painting of the contest between Peter and Mad Mitch?
(a) A field of flowers.
(b) A gravedigger.
(c) A peasant.
(d) A dog.
9. What three items does Lipsey have to begin his investigation?
(a) Address, photograph and a diary entry.
(b) Postcard, address, and a photograph.
(c) Postcard, address and a newspaper clipping.
(d) Diary entry, newspaper clipping and a photgraph.
10. At the apartment in Livorno, what is Lipsey told about Dee?
(a) She stayed a week and left alone.
(b) She stayed three nights and left with a man.
(c) She stayed one night and left alone.
(d) She stayed one night and left with a man.
11. Whose paintings does Peter take to Mr. Meunier's office?
(a) Vincent Van Gogh.
(b) Munch, a German painter.
(c) Braque, a French painter.
(d) Jan Rep, a Dutch painter.
12. What does Dee want to write her thesis about?
(a) The relationship between art and experience.
(b) The relationship between art and drugs.
(c) The relationship between art and youth.
(d) The relationship between drugs and literature.
13. What does Julian's father-in-law tell him to do that will allow him to give Julian more money?
(a) Find good buys in the picture market.
(b) Give him a grandson.
(c) Divorce his daughter.
(d) Find a painter worth something.
14. What does Cardwell mean to do to keep himself in brandy?
(a) Sell his art collection.
(b) Close his company.
(c) Sell his estate.
(d) Borrow from Lampeth.
15. What part does Anne play in the scam?
(a) She is coaching Peter and Mitch.
(b) She is watching for any visitors.
(c) She is writing letters.
(d) She is giving the men food and drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter get what he took from the supply room back to London?
2. With what does Dee wipe the dust off of the paintings?
3. What had Modigliani done with most of his paintings that he painted while he was high?
4. What did the rabbi tell Dee about the painting she was searching for?
5. What is Jack Best's specific profession?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)