|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What revelation does Dee come to after she takes a nap in the afternoon?
(a) Modigliani was a Jew.
(b) The proprietor knew something he did not tell her.
(c) The painting was hidden behind another painting.
(d) The priest was hiding something from her.
2. Who is Julian's father-in-law?
(b) The Prince of Wales.
(c) Lord Cardwell.
(d) Earl Cabott.
3. What does Tom Copper describe himself as to Samantha when he first meets her at the party?
(a) A wide boy.
(b) An architect.
(c) An inspector.
(d) A painter.
4. What does Mad Mitch respond when Peter asks him what he thinks of his painting?
(a) "It has great movement, brushwork and design."
(b) "Rather ask if I would hang it on my wall."
(c) "It invites me to pour out a bunch of garbage."
(d) "It would clash with my suite."
5. How does Peter Usher react to the news that Lampeth gives him at the gallery reception?
(a) Peter is disappointed.
(b) Peter is bothered that it will be shown in The New Room.
(c) Peter is angry enough to cause a scene.
(d) Peter is thrilled to get his work shown with Modigliani's.
6. What is Lampeth's business with Lipsey?
(a) Detective work to find a painting.
(b) Detective work to find a missing family member.
(c) Smuggling of art.
(d) Black market art.
7. How does the baker look at the girl who comes in for fresh bread in the opening of the story?
8. What does Julian decide to do in order to get the cash he needs to travel?
(a) Rob a bank.
(b) Sell his wife's car.
(c) Forge one of his wife's checks.
(d) Sell his wife's jewelry.
9. Why does Dee go to see the old man who lives above the fish shop?
(a) For information concerning her thesis.
(b) To rent a painting.
(c) To purchase hashish.
(d) To purchase a painiting.
10. What is Jack Best's specific profession?
(a) Movie critic.
(b) Art critic.
(c) Business jounralist.
(d) Entertainment journalist.
11. What has Mad Mitch set up for his and Peter's scam?
(a) A newspaper ad.
(b) A gallery that will buy their paintings.
(c) A studio for painting.
(d) A bank account.
12. What idea came out of the painting contest between Peter and Mad Mitch?
(a) To forge paintings.
(b) To create painting contests.
(c) To recreate what the great artists have done in print.
(d) To paint off of canvas.
13. What does Dee want to write her thesis about?
(a) The relationship between art and experience.
(b) The relationship between drugs and literature.
(c) The relationship between art and youth.
(d) The relationship between art and drugs.
14. Where is Dee in the opening of "Part II, Chapter 1"?
(a) On a train in Italy.
(b) On a bike in Paris.
(c) In a cab in London.
(d) On a bus in Spain.
15. What does Peter believe about the artist and the collectors?
(a) Artists should work for their art and not get involved with collectors.
(b) Collectors and artists are only in it for the money.
(c) Collectors don't care at all about the artist himself.
(d) Collectors would rather the artist be dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lipsey get the address of where Dee is staying in Livorno?
2. How does Sarah react when Julian asks her for more money?
3. How does the proprietor's wife treat Dee?
4. How much money does Peter and Mitch's backer put up?
5. Where does Julian find his father-in-law when he goes to request more money?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)