|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dee go to see the old man who lives above the fish shop?
(a) To rent a painting.
(b) For information concerning her thesis.
(c) To purchase a painiting.
(d) To purchase hashish.
2. What does Tom Copper describe himself as to Samantha when he first meets her at the party?
(a) An architect.
(b) A painter.
(c) A wide boy.
(d) An inspector.
3. Why does Samantha slap Joe at the party?
(a) He told her she had no talent.
(b) He told her to get rid of Tom.
(c) He made a pass at her.
(d) He had Tom investigated.
4. What does Julian suggest that Sarah do in order for her to get money to give to him?
(a) Sell the house.
(b) Ask her father.
(c) Sell her car.
(d) Get a job.
5. What comparison does Peter make about a painter who isn't painting?
(a) Not smoking to a smoker.
(b) Not dancing to a dancer.
(c) Not playing to a musician.
(d) Not drinking to a drinker.
6. How does Sarah react when Julian asks her for more money?
(a) She becomes belligerent.
(b) She becomes physically abusive.
(c) She storms out of the house.
(d) She is apathetic.
7. Who does Lampeth receive a postcard from?
(a) His niece, Dee.
(b) His nephew, Mike.
(c) Peter Usher.
(d) A man who has Modigliani sketches.
8. Where does Julian find his father-in-law when he goes to request more money?
(a) At his home.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) On the golf course.
(d) At a tavern.
9. Why did Modigliani have to get rid of his paintings?
(a) He had no money for rent and had to move.
(b) He had to use it for rent.
(c) He needed money to move out of Paris.
(d) He had to feed his family.
10. What kind of a city is Livorno?
(a) A metropolitan city of small business and tourist attractions.
(b) Large and filled with resorts.
(c) Small and quiet.
(d) A major port with docks and steelworks.
11. How does Julian win over Sarah and convince her to marry him?
(a) She believes that he will make a ton of money as an artist some day.
(b) He takes her to all of the gallery receptions where she falls in love with him and art.
(c) She falls in love with him because he is so sweet.
(d) She believes he is a successful artist.
12. Who gives Lipsey the name of the city that Dee and Mike went to to find the Modigliani?
(a) The rabbi in Livorno.
(b) The proprietor in Livorno.
(c) The young priest in Livorno.
(d) The wife of the proprietor in Livorno.
13. What does Dee go to the proprietor's apartment for?
(a) To make a phone call.
(b) To ask questions about the town.
(c) To meet his children.
(d) To find a place to eat.
14. With what does Dee wipe the dust off of the paintings?
(a) Her underwear.
(b) A sash she found on the floor.
(c) The shirt she wore under her dress.
(d) A handkerchief the priest gave her.
15. What is the name of the movie that Samantha is interested in doing?
(a) Night, Night.
(b) Thirteenth Night.
(c) Twelfth Night.
(d) A Midsummers Nights Dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea came out of the painting contest between Peter and Mad Mitch?
2. What does Dee ask the proprietor to tell her?
3. What does Charles Lampeth miss as he reflects about life after dinner at his friends?
4. Whose painting does Mad Mitch and Peter recreate in the contest?
5. How does the baker look at the girl who comes in for fresh bread in the opening of the story?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)