|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Socrates plead with Crito to listen to his reasoning?
2. What metaphor did Crito and Socrates use to illustrate their point about authority?
3. According to Socrates and his friends, what happens to a soul after it spends some time in the Underworld?
4. What did Socrates and his partner realize, via their debate with their friends, about the nature of truth?
5. How did Phaedo describe Socrates' execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about misanthropy and "mislogic"?
2. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
3. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
4. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
5. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
6. What conclusion do Socrates and Crito reach regarding the laws of the land?
7. What do Socrates' friends say about suicide, and the preservation of life, in the "Phaedo"?
8. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
9. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
10. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truth is an important concept in "The Last Days of Socrates." According to the theories presented in the text, what is truth? How does one find truth? Is it possible to know truth, with certainty, when one finds it? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates spent a lot of time with his friends, but very little with his family, even on the day of his execution. Why do you think this was so? How much did Socrates have to talk about with his friends, versus with his family? Do you think it was right for him to spend so little time with them? Is it understandable/excusable? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Meletus? Why did he choose to prosecute Socrates? What evidence did his use as a basis for his prosecution? Why did he seek the death penalty for Socrates? Was he acting on behalf of the Athenian government? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)