Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
2. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
3. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
4. According to Crito and Socrates, is it just to harm another person if it is purely in retaliation?
5. Where did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
Essay Topic 1
One of the reasons for Socrates' conviction was his "daemon". What was it? How did it affect Socrates? Why was it such an important part of his trial and conviction? What would happen if such evidence was presented at a modern-day trial? Do you think Socrates believed that he had a "daemon"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates refuses to leave Athens and escape his punishment because he felt that it was just to stay. Do you agree? Would it have been better for Socrates to have fled Athens? Why or why not? What do you think you would do in this situation? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams figure prominently in the dialogues. What events took place in conjunction with dreams? What did Socrates do as a result of dreams that he had? Do you think that everyone in Athenian culture relied on their dreams as heavily as Socrates? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)