|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
2. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
3. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
4. According to Crito and Socrates, is it just to harm another person if it is purely in retaliation?
5. Where did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
Essay Topic 1
Dreams figure prominently in the dialogues. What events took place in conjunction with dreams? What did Socrates do as a result of dreams that he had? Do you think that everyone in Athenian culture relied on their dreams as heavily as Socrates? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of the soul is a subject of much debate in "The Last Days of Socrates." Compare and contrast the various theories of the soul. What is it? What does it do? Is it eternal, or does it slip into oblivion after death? What is the evidence presented for each theory? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various theories presented regarding the topic of justice. What is it? How is it achieved? How does one tell what is just? What are the necessary conditions for one to be able to do what is just? Do you agree that Socrates did what was just when he accepted his punishment? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,588 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)