|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
2. What was Socrates doing when Crito arrived?
3. What did Socrates say about the jurors who convicted him?
4. Was Plato present at Socrates' execution?
5. Who lost control of his emotions at Socrates' execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of Book 4?
2. How does Crito attempt to persuade Socrates?
3. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
4. What were the ancient Greeks' beliefs regarding the afterlife?
5. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
6. What realization does Socrates have as a result of his and Phaedo's debate with Simmias and Cebes?
7. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
8. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
9. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
10. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truth is an important concept in "The Last Days of Socrates." According to the theories presented in the text, what is truth? How does one find truth? Is it possible to know truth, with certainty, when one finds it? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the dialogues have to do with the concept of epistemology. What is epistemology? What does it have to do with philosophy? Why is it important? Why did Socrates concern himself with it? Are they ever able to reach a definitive conclusion? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Meletus? Why did he choose to prosecute Socrates? What evidence did his use as a basis for his prosecution? Why did he seek the death penalty for Socrates? Was he acting on behalf of the Athenian government? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)