|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
2. Who was on Socrates' team in the debate at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
3. According to Crito and Socrates, is it just to harm another person if it is purely in retaliation?
4. What new activity did Socrates try while in prison?
5. What metaphor does Tarrant use to describe the different mentalities in the Phaedo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
2. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
3. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
4. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
5. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
6. What is the "transmigration of souls"?
7. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
8. What belief do Socrates' friends discuss in the "Phaedo" that was taught in formal philosophical education, but was not culturally popular?
9. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
10. How does Crito attempt to persuade Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When accused of blasphemy, Socrates insists that he was questioning the interpretation of the answer given to Chearephon by the Oracle of Delphi. What question did Chearephon ask? What answer was given to him by the Oracle? Why did Socrates find this response so difficult to believe? Do you think he was being truthful with his story about thinking the interpretation was incorrect? Why or why not? If not, what was his real reason for questioning the gods? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates refuted the idea that he was wise and claimed that the only way in which he might be exceptionally wise is in acknowledging the extent of his own ignorance and uncovering that of others. Do you agree that this is a very specific type of wisdom? Do you agree that this is the only type of wisdom that Socrates possessed? Why or why not? Do you think he was sincere in his assessment of his own ignorance? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in "The Last Days of Socrates." What was this person's relationship to Socrates? Did this person affect Socrates' decisions in any way? If so, how? What were this person's core beliefs? What topic did they debate with Socrates? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)