|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theory of "Idealism" in philosophy?
2. What term did the Greeks use to refer to the souls of the departed?
3. What did Socrates and his partner realize, via their debate with their friends, about the nature of truth?
4. What did Crito say about how he would be affected, personally, by Socrates' death?
5. Who is Crito?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the ancient Greeks' beliefs regarding the afterlife?
2. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
3. What belief do Socrates' friends discuss in the "Phaedo" that was taught in formal philosophical education, but was not culturally popular?
4. What is the setting of Book 4?
5. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
6. What is the intended audience for Book 5?
7. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
8. What is the "transmigration of souls"?
9. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
10. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates refuted the idea that he was wise and claimed that the only way in which he might be exceptionally wise is in acknowledging the extent of his own ignorance and uncovering that of others. Do you agree that this is a very specific type of wisdom? Do you agree that this is the only type of wisdom that Socrates possessed? Why or why not? Do you think he was sincere in his assessment of his own ignorance? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams figure prominently in the dialogues. What events took place in conjunction with dreams? What did Socrates do as a result of dreams that he had? Do you think that everyone in Athenian culture relied on their dreams as heavily as Socrates? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the various scholars who contributed to "The Last Days of Socrates." What are their areas of expertise? Which portions of the text do they comment on, and why? How do they relate to the text of the dialogues? What do they challenge, or choose to explain? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)