|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "transmigration of souls" mean?
2. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
3. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
4. Approximately how many people were present at Socrates' execution?
5. What did Crito say about how he would be affected, personally, by Socrates' death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the ancient Greeks' beliefs regarding the afterlife?
2. What is the setting of Book 4?
3. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
4. What realization does Socrates have as a result of his and Phaedo's debate with Simmias and Cebes?
5. What belief do Socrates' friends discuss in the "Phaedo" that was taught in formal philosophical education, but was not culturally popular?
6. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
7. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
8. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
9. What do Socrates' friends say about suicide, and the preservation of life, in the "Phaedo"?
10. What conclusion do Socrates and Crito reach regarding the laws of the land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tarrant agrees with the conviction passed down by the Athenian authorities. Do you agree that Socrates was guilty? Why or why not? How do you feel about the fact that he was convicted with only 60 of 500 votes? Did he deserve the death penalty? Why or why not? What do you think would happen to Socrates if he lived today? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
One of the reasons for Socrates' conviction was his "daemon". What was it? How did it affect Socrates? Why was it such an important part of his trial and conviction? What would happen if such evidence was presented at a modern-day trial? Do you think Socrates believed that he had a "daemon"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Meletus? Why did he choose to prosecute Socrates? What evidence did his use as a basis for his prosecution? Why did he seek the death penalty for Socrates? Was he acting on behalf of the Athenian government? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)