|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Socrates and his partner debating about at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
2. Who was on Socrates' team in the debate at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
3. Which is the longest of the four dialogues?
4. Why did Socrates plead with Crito to listen to his reasoning?
5. Who is Phaedo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
2. How does Crito attempt to persuade Socrates?
3. What does Socrates think will happen after his death?
4. What realization does Socrates have as a result of his and Phaedo's debate with Simmias and Cebes?
5. What conclusion do Socrates and Crito reach regarding the laws of the land?
6. What is the setting of Book 4?
7. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
8. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
9. What were the ancient Greeks' beliefs regarding the afterlife?
10. What was the Pythagorean school of thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plato referred to himself in the dialogues, but only in passing, as one of Socrates' many friends. Why do you think this is so? Do you think that Socrates considered Plato to be "special" amongst his students and friends? Why or why not? Do you think Plato's representation of himself in the dialogues is an accurate representation of his true relationship with Socrates, as he perceived it? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams figure prominently in the dialogues. What events took place in conjunction with dreams? What did Socrates do as a result of dreams that he had? Do you think that everyone in Athenian culture relied on their dreams as heavily as Socrates? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in "The Last Days of Socrates." What was this person's relationship to Socrates? Did this person affect Socrates' decisions in any way? If so, how? What were this person's core beliefs? What topic did they debate with Socrates? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)