|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tarrant, what parts of a person did the Greeks believe persisted through death?
2. What term did the Greeks use to refer to the souls of the departed?
3. When asked how to overcome the difficulty in the debate, what did Socrates suggest?
4. What is the theory of "Idealism" in philosophy?
5. What metaphor did Crito and Socrates use to illustrate their point about authority?
Essay Topic 1
The concept of the soul is a subject of much debate in "The Last Days of Socrates." Compare and contrast the various theories of the soul. What is it? What does it do? Is it eternal, or does it slip into oblivion after death? What is the evidence presented for each theory? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Tarrant agrees with the conviction passed down by the Athenian authorities. Do you agree that Socrates was guilty? Why or why not? How do you feel about the fact that he was convicted with only 60 of 500 votes? Did he deserve the death penalty? Why or why not? What do you think would happen to Socrates if he lived today? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Truth is an important concept in "The Last Days of Socrates." According to the theories presented in the text, what is truth? How does one find truth? Is it possible to know truth, with certainty, when one finds it? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)