|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
2. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
3. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
4. According to Crito and Socrates, is it just to harm another person if it is purely in retaliation?
5. Where did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
Essay Topic 1
Truth is an important concept in "The Last Days of Socrates." According to the theories presented in the text, what is truth? How does one find truth? Is it possible to know truth, with certainty, when one finds it? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates is still considered wise, more than 2000 years after his death. Why has he been nearly immortalized in the annals of history? Why is he considered so wise? Did his contemporaries feel the same way about him that modern philosophers do? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Socrates makes a distinction between necessary and sufficient causes. What are necessary causes? What are sufficient causes? What separates them from one another? What are the necessary and sufficient causes relating to Socrates' execution? Are there other examples of necessary and sufficient causes in the dialogues? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,588 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)