|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
2. What did Socrates say about the laws of the land during his conversation with Crito?
3. Who temporarily won the debate in Book 5, Chapter 2?
4. According to Socrates, what do mislogic and misanthropy have in common?
5. What did Crito say about Socrates' dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
2. How does Crito attempt to persuade Socrates?
3. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
4. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
5. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
6. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
7. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
8. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
9. What does Socrates say about misanthropy and "mislogic"?
10. What is the setting of Book 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the various scholars who contributed to "The Last Days of Socrates." What are their areas of expertise? Which portions of the text do they comment on, and why? How do they relate to the text of the dialogues? What do they challenge, or choose to explain? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Truth is an important concept in "The Last Days of Socrates." According to the theories presented in the text, what is truth? How does one find truth? Is it possible to know truth, with certainty, when one finds it? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
One of the reasons for Socrates' conviction was his "daemon". What was it? How did it affect Socrates? Why was it such an important part of his trial and conviction? What would happen if such evidence was presented at a modern-day trial? Do you think Socrates believed that he had a "daemon"? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)