|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
2. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
3. Why did Crito come to visit Socrates?
4. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
5. According to Crito's dialogue with Socrates, who had the right to control a given set of circumstances, or a relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates is still considered wise, more than 2000 years after his death. Why has he been nearly immortalized in the annals of history? Why is he considered so wise? Did his contemporaries feel the same way about him that modern philosophers do? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the dialogues have to do with the concept of epistemology. What is epistemology? What does it have to do with philosophy? Why is it important? Why did Socrates concern himself with it? Are they ever able to reach a definitive conclusion? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Meletus? Why did he choose to prosecute Socrates? What evidence did his use as a basis for his prosecution? Why did he seek the death penalty for Socrates? Was he acting on behalf of the Athenian government? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)