|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the other possibility that Socrates contemplated regarding the afterlife?
2. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
3. Crito and Socrates agreed that what action is always unjust?
4. When asked how to overcome the difficulty in the debate, what did Socrates suggest?
5. What did Socrates and his partner realize, via their debate with their friends, about the nature of truth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates makes a distinction between necessary and sufficient causes. What are necessary causes? What are sufficient causes? What separates them from one another? What are the necessary and sufficient causes relating to Socrates' execution? Are there other examples of necessary and sufficient causes in the dialogues? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Meletus? Why did he choose to prosecute Socrates? What evidence did his use as a basis for his prosecution? Why did he seek the death penalty for Socrates? Was he acting on behalf of the Athenian government? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in "The Last Days of Socrates." What was this person's relationship to Socrates? Did this person affect Socrates' decisions in any way? If so, how? What were this person's core beliefs? What topic did they debate with Socrates? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)