|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many people were present at Socrates' execution?
2. According to Socrates, what do mislogic and misanthropy have in common?
3. Where did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
4. Who is Phaedo?
5. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
2. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
3. What is the setting of the Phaedo?
4. What do Socrates' friends say about suicide, and the preservation of life, in the "Phaedo"?
5. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
6. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
7. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
8. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
9. What is the setting of Book 4?
10. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates makes a distinction between necessary and sufficient causes. What are necessary causes? What are sufficient causes? What separates them from one another? What are the necessary and sufficient causes relating to Socrates' execution? Are there other examples of necessary and sufficient causes in the dialogues? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates refuses to leave Athens and escape his punishment because he felt that it was just to stay. Do you agree? Would it have been better for Socrates to have fled Athens? Why or why not? What do you think you would do in this situation? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in "The Last Days of Socrates." What was this person's relationship to Socrates? Did this person affect Socrates' decisions in any way? If so, how? What were this person's core beliefs? What topic did they debate with Socrates? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)