|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Socrates executed?
(a) Drawing and quartering.
(b) Thrown to the lions.
(c) Self-administered hemlock poisoning.
(d) Firing squad.
2. What did Crito offer Socrates?
(b) A safe place to escape to.
(c) A more comfortable place to spend his final days.
(d) An overturned sentence.
3. What concept does Tarrant label as "Christian," which he says the Greeks did not possess?
4. Why did Crito come to visit Socrates?
(a) He hoped to prevent Socrates' execution.
(b) Socrates owed him money.
(c) Out of friendship.
(d) He wanted to take care of Socrates' family after his death.
5. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
(a) Before Socrates' sentencing.
(b) After Socrates' sentencing, but before his death.
(c) Before Socrates was informed that he was being prosecuted.
(d) At Socrates' execution.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
2. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
3. When asked how to overcome the difficulty in the debate, what did Socrates suggest?
4. Who was the young woman at Socrates' execution?
5. What is the term for realizing that one's expectations are too high?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the Phaedo?
2. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
3. What was the Pythagorean school of thought?
4. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
5. What is the setting of Book 4?
6. What do Socrates' friends say about suicide, and the preservation of life, in the "Phaedo"?
7. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
8. How does Crito attempt to persuade Socrates?
9. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
10. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)