|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "mislogic", according to Socrates?
(a) Losing a logical argument.
(b) Not understanding logic.
(c) Incorrect use of logic.
(d) Hatred of logic.
2. What is the theory of "Idealism" in philosophy?
(a) Physical objects are based upon ideal forms.
(b) The gods are the ideal forms of human qualities.
(c) Ideas and thoughts have their own existence.
(d) Ideas are constant and unchanging.
3. How did Socrates interpret his dream?
(a) He believed there might be a way for him to escape his execution.
(b) He felt that Apollo might save him from his fate.
(c) He knew what awaited him in the Underworld.
(d) He believed he had two days left to live.
4. Why did Crito come to visit Socrates?
(a) Socrates owed him money.
(b) Out of friendship.
(c) He wanted to take care of Socrates' family after his death.
(d) He hoped to prevent Socrates' execution.
5. What is misanthropy?
(a) Hatred of people.
(b) Lack of social skills.
(c) Committing a social blunder.
(d) Hatred of women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Against who were Socrates and his partner debating at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
2. Crito and Socrates agreed that what action is always unjust?
3. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
4. The main point of The Crito is the discussion of what ideal?
5. What new activity did Socrates try while in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
2. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
3. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
4. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
5. What is the setting of Book 4?
6. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
7. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
8. What does Socrates think will happen after his death?
9. What realization does Socrates have as a result of his and Phaedo's debate with Simmias and Cebes?
10. What were the ancient Greeks' beliefs regarding the afterlife?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)