|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Phaedo telling the story of Socrates' execution to?
2. What new activity did Socrates try while in prison?
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Writing down some of his dialogues.
3. What did Crito say about how he would be affected, personally, by Socrates' death?
(a) He would be devastated and wasn't sure he could go on living, himself.
(b) He said that his reputation would suffer if he did not attempt to help Socrates.
(c) He wouldn't be personally affected, but knew several people who would be.
(d) He would be moved to seek vengeance against those who caused it.
4. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
(a) People are defeated in logical arguments.
(b) People are more interested in "winning" an argument than in knowing the truth.
(c) People don't know how to use logic correctly.
(d) People don't understand the limitations of logic.
5. What happened to Socrates after his trial?
(a) His sentence was commuted.
(b) His execution was delayed.
(c) He was caught and brought back to Athens.
(d) His method of execution was changed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Socrates say about the jurors who convicted him?
2. What happens to energy, according to the Pythagoreans?
3. What is "mislogic", according to Socrates?
4. Was Plato present at Socrates' execution?
5. How was Socrates executed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
2. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
3. What does Socrates say about misanthropy and "mislogic"?
4. How does Crito attempt to persuade Socrates?
5. What is the "transmigration of souls"?
6. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
7. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
8. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
9. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
10. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)