|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Phaedo telling the story of Socrates' execution to?
2. How did Phaedo describe Socrates' execution?
3. According to Socrates' friends, what happens when someone learns something?
(a) They uncover new knowledge.
(b) They discover something they already knew.
(c) They create knowledge which did not previously exist.
(d) They remember knowledge that already existed.
4. What happens to energy, according to the Pythagoreans?
(a) It is constantly created and destroyed.
(b) It lasts for a finite amount of time.
(c) It is preserved and perpetuated.
(d) When an object is destroyed, so is the energy contained within it.
5. Who is Crito?
(a) Meletus' cousin.
(b) Socrates' son.
(c) Euthyphro's nephew.
(d) Socrates' friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Socrates ask Crito to be cautious?
2. Was Plato present at Socrates' execution?
3. What metaphor did Crito and Socrates use to illustrate their point about authority?
4. Who is Phaedo?
5. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Pythagorean school of thought?
2. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
3. What is the "transmigration of souls"?
4. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
5. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
6. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
7. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
8. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
9. What were the ancient Greeks' beliefs regarding the afterlife?
10. What is the setting of Book 4?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)