|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Crito say about how he would be affected, personally, by Socrates' death?
(a) He said that his reputation would suffer if he did not attempt to help Socrates.
(b) He would be devastated and wasn't sure he could go on living, himself.
(c) He would be moved to seek vengeance against those who caused it.
(d) He wouldn't be personally affected, but knew several people who would be.
2. What theory did the Pythagoreans have about the human soul?
(a) They didn't have a theory about the human soul.
(b) They didn't believe in the concept of the soul.
(c) They felt that the soul only lasted as long as the body did.
(d) They felt that the soul was eternal and unchanging.
3. What did the Pythagoreans conclude about the nature of matter?
(a) When matter was destroyed, it disappeared.
(b) All matter was created at the time of the Big Bang.
(c) Matter is solid.
(d) The universe is made up of tiny, invisible particles.
4. According to Tarrant, what is one modern debate which is similar in nature to the issues in the "Phaedo"?
(a) Capital punishment.
(b) Nature vs. nurture.
(d) Intelligent Design.
5. How did Socrates interpret his dream?
(a) He felt that Apollo might save him from his fate.
(b) He believed there might be a way for him to escape his execution.
(c) He believed he had two days left to live.
(d) He knew what awaited him in the Underworld.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to energy, according to the Pythagoreans?
2. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
3. Who was the young woman at Socrates' execution?
4. Crito first attempted to persuade Socrates with what type of argument?
5. According to the introduction to the Phaedo, what are the most likely causes of suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the Phaedo?
2. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
3. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
4. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
5. What do Socrates' friends say about suicide, and the preservation of life, in the "Phaedo"?
6. What is the setting of Book 4?
7. What belief do Socrates' friends discuss in the "Phaedo" that was taught in formal philosophical education, but was not culturally popular?
8. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
9. How does Crito attempt to persuade Socrates?
10. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)