|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Socrates plead with Crito to listen to his reasoning?
(a) Because Socrates wanted Crito to be at peace with the decision that Socrates had made.
(b) Socrates just wanted to have a good philosophical debate.
(c) Socrates wanted Crito to point out the flaws in his reasoning so he would be able to change his mind without guilt.
(d) Socrates wanted to reassure Crito that he was making the right choice.
2. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
(a) After Socrates' sentencing, but before his death.
(b) Before Socrates was informed that he was being prosecuted.
(c) Before Socrates' sentencing.
(d) At Socrates' execution.
3. According to Socrates, what do mislogic and misanthropy have in common?
(a) Not exercising one's intellect.
(b) A lack of self-confidence.
(c) Unrealistic expectations.
(d) Not having enough social interactions.
4. Why did Crito come to visit Socrates?
(a) Socrates owed him money.
(b) Out of friendship.
(c) He wanted to take care of Socrates' family after his death.
(d) He hoped to prevent Socrates' execution.
5. Who was the young woman at Socrates' execution?
(a) Socrates' daughter.
(b) Phaedo's sister.
(c) Socrates' niece.
(d) Her identity is unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
2. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
3. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
4. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
5. What is the theory of "Idealism" in philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the Phaedo?
2. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
3. What is the intended audience for Book 5?
4. What conclusion do Socrates and Crito reach regarding the laws of the land?
5. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
6. What evidence led Plato and the Pythagoreans to the theory of an eternal soul?
7. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
8. What is the "transmigration of souls"?
9. What does Socrates think will happen after his death?
10. What was the Pythagorean school of thought?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)