|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Crito want Socrates to do?
(a) Appeal his sentence before it was too late.
(b) Make peace with his relatives.
(c) Attempt to escape from prison.
(d) Spend time with his family before his death.
2. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
(a) One of Socrates' friends, who betrayed him.
(b) The judge who presided over his trial reconsidered the sentencing.
(c) One of his family members interfered with his sentencing.
(d) An Athenian practice which had nothing to do with Socrates.
3. What did the Pythagoreans like to explore?
(a) The spiritual and intellectual characteristics of man.
(b) The physical and scientific causes of things.
(c) The motivations of the gods.
(d) The ways in which deity could be found to manifest itself in everyday life.
4. What did the Pythagoreans conclude about the nature of matter?
(a) The universe is made up of tiny, invisible particles.
(b) Matter is solid.
(c) When matter was destroyed, it disappeared.
(d) All matter was created at the time of the Big Bang.
5. Who was the young woman at Socrates' execution?
(a) Socrates' niece.
(b) Socrates' daughter.
(c) Phaedo's sister.
(d) Her identity is unknown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was Plato present at Socrates' execution?
2. What was the view of Socrates' friends on the topic of suicide?
3. What does the term "philosopher" mean?
4. What happened to Socrates after his trial?
5. According to Socrates and his friends, what happens to a soul after it spends some time in the Underworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Socrates and Crito say about experts?
2. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
3. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
4. What is the intended audience for Book 5?
5. What belief do Socrates' friends discuss in the "Phaedo" that was taught in formal philosophical education, but was not culturally popular?
6. What was the Pythagorean school of thought?
7. What does Socrates think will happen after his death?
8. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
9. What is the setting of the Phaedo?
10. What does Socrates say about misanthropy and "mislogic"?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)