|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor does Tarrant use to describe the different mentalities in the Phaedo?
(a) A child and his father.
(b) Two siblings in a rival relationship.
(c) A slave and his master.
(d) A student and his teacher.
2. What is misanthropy?
(a) Lack of social skills.
(b) Hatred of people.
(c) Committing a social blunder.
(d) Hatred of women.
3. Who was the young woman at Socrates' execution?
(a) Phaedo's sister.
(b) Socrates' niece.
(c) Socrates' daughter.
(d) Her identity is unknown.
4. What did Crito want Socrates to do?
(a) Make peace with his relatives.
(b) Spend time with his family before his death.
(c) Appeal his sentence before it was too late.
(d) Attempt to escape from prison.
5. According to Crito's dialogue with Socrates, who had the right to control a given set of circumstances, or a relationship?
(a) Qualified individuals, or experts.
(b) The ones who had been given authority by the state.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) The most ethical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Crito come to visit Socrates?
2. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
3. What was Socrates doing when Crito arrived?
4. According to Tarrant, what is one modern debate which is similar in nature to the issues in the "Phaedo"?
5. Who was Phaedo telling the story of Socrates' execution to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion do Socrates and Crito reach regarding the laws of the land?
2. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
3. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
4. What belief do Socrates' friends discuss in the "Phaedo" that was taught in formal philosophical education, but was not culturally popular?
5. What is the setting of Book 4?
6. What does Socrates say about misanthropy and "mislogic"?
7. What is the philosophical subject of Book 4?
8. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
9. What does Socrates think will happen after his death?
10. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)