|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
(a) An Athenian practice which had nothing to do with Socrates.
(b) The judge who presided over his trial reconsidered the sentencing.
(c) One of his family members interfered with his sentencing.
(d) One of Socrates' friends, who betrayed him.
2. Which is the longest of the four dialogues?
(a) The Apology.
(b) The Euthyphro.
(c) The Phaedo.
(d) The Crito.
3. What is misanthropy?
(a) Hatred of people.
(b) Hatred of women.
(c) Lack of social skills.
(d) Committing a social blunder.
4. What did Crito offer Socrates?
(b) A safe place to escape to.
(c) An overturned sentence.
(d) A more comfortable place to spend his final days.
5. What did Crito say about how he would be affected, personally, by Socrates' death?
(a) He said that his reputation would suffer if he did not attempt to help Socrates.
(b) He would be devastated and wasn't sure he could go on living, himself.
(c) He would be moved to seek vengeance against those who caused it.
(d) He wouldn't be personally affected, but knew several people who would be.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Phaedo describe Socrates' execution?
2. Approximately how many people were present at Socrates' execution?
3. What concept does Tarrant label as "Christian," which he says the Greeks did not possess?
4. The main point of The Crito is the discussion of what ideal?
5. What was the relationship, according to Crito and Socrates, between just actions and natural ones?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)