|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
(a) The judge who presided over his trial reconsidered the sentencing.
(b) One of his family members interfered with his sentencing.
(c) One of Socrates' friends, who betrayed him.
(d) An Athenian practice which had nothing to do with Socrates.
2. Who lost control of his emotions at Socrates' execution?
3. According to Crito and Socrates, is it just to harm another person if it is purely in retaliation?
(a) It depends on the circumstances.
(c) The two can't agree.
4. Against who were Socrates and his partner debating at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
(a) Cebes and Crito.
(b) Simmias and Crito.
(c) Phaedo and Crito.
(d) Simmias and Cebes.
5. What did Crito offer Socrates?
(a) A more comfortable place to spend his final days.
(c) An overturned sentence.
(d) A safe place to escape to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to energy, according to the Pythagoreans?
2. According to Tarrant, why did Socrates submit so easily to his sentencing?
3. Where did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
4. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
5. What did Socrates say about the laws of the land during his conversation with Crito?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Idealism" in philosophy?
2. What is the setting of Book 4?
3. What is the setting of the Phaedo?
4. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
5. What was the Pythagorean school of thought?
6. What is said, in Book 4, about Socrates' dream?
7. What does Socrates say about misanthropy and "mislogic"?
8. What does Tarrant use as an example to illustrate the differences in mentality, in this section, regarding death and suicide?
9. Why is Socrates' execution delayed?
10. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)