|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Phaedo?
(a) One of Socrates' friends.
(b) Plato's brother.
(c) Socrates' son.
(d) Meletus' cousin.
2. What did Crito offer Socrates?
(a) An overturned sentence.
(b) A more comfortable place to spend his final days.
(d) A safe place to escape to.
3. Who was Phaedo telling the story of Socrates' execution to?
4. Which is the longest of the four dialogues?
(a) The Apology.
(b) The Euthyphro.
(c) The Phaedo.
(d) The Crito.
5. According to the introduction to the Phaedo, what are the most likely causes of suicide?
(a) A desire for a measure of control over one's death.
(b) Guilt and low self-worth.
(c) Release from pain, or consequences.
(d) A desire for attention, or to be remembered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Crito?
2. What did Socrates say about the laws of the land during his conversation with Crito?
3. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
4. Why did Socrates insist on going through with his sentence?
5. What were Socrates and his partner debating about at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)