|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
(a) They can't.
(b) Learning more about someone before placing demands on them.
(c) Having realistic expectations.
(d) Relying on oneself, rather than others.
2. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
(a) A week after Socrates' execution.
(b) The day of Socrates' trial.
(c) The day of Socrates' execution.
(d) Two days before Socrates' execution.
3. Who is Phaedo?
(a) Meletus' cousin.
(b) Plato's brother.
(c) One of Socrates' friends.
(d) Socrates' son.
4. Who was on Socrates' team in the debate at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
5. Against who were Socrates and his partner debating at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
(a) Simmias and Cebes.
(b) Simmias and Crito.
(c) Phaedo and Crito.
(d) Cebes and Crito.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theory of "Idealism" in philosophy?
2. Was Plato present at Socrates' execution?
3. What theory did the Pythagoreans have about the human soul?
4. Why did Socrates plead with Crito to listen to his reasoning?
5. Who is the intended audience for the Phaedo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the ancient Greeks' beliefs regarding the afterlife?
2. What is the intended audience for Book 5?
3. What new habit do Socrates' friends discover in the "Phaedo"?
4. What do Socrates' friends say about suicide, and the preservation of life, in the "Phaedo"?
5. Who is present at Socrates' execution?
6. What does Crito want Socrates to do?
7. What is the "transmigration of souls"?
8. What is written in Book 5, Chapter 1, about risking the loss of one's life?
9. What does Socrates say about misanthropy and "mislogic"?
10. What is the setting of Book 4?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)