|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Crito's dialogue with Socrates, who had the right to control a given set of circumstances, or a relationship?
(a) The ones who had been given authority by the state.
(b) The most ethical.
(c) Qualified individuals, or experts.
(d) The wealthy.
2. What theory did the Pythagoreans have about the human soul?
(a) They didn't have a theory about the human soul.
(b) They felt that the soul only lasted as long as the body did.
(c) They didn't believe in the concept of the soul.
(d) They felt that the soul was eternal and unchanging.
3. Crito first attempted to persuade Socrates with what type of argument?
4. Who is Phaedo?
(a) Meletus' cousin.
(b) Socrates' son.
(c) Plato's brother.
(d) One of Socrates' friends.
5. How did Phaedo describe Socrates' execution?
6. What did the Pythagoreans like to explore?
(a) The motivations of the gods.
(b) The physical and scientific causes of things.
(c) The ways in which deity could be found to manifest itself in everyday life.
(d) The spiritual and intellectual characteristics of man.
7. Who was on Socrates' team in the debate at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
8. Was Plato present at Socrates' execution?
(b) No, he did not want to attend.
(c) No, he was unwell.
(d) Phaedo doesn't say.
9. What was Socrates doing when Crito arrived?
10. The main point of The Crito is the discussion of what ideal?
11. What did Crito want Socrates to do?
(a) Spend time with his family before his death.
(b) Appeal his sentence before it was too late.
(c) Make peace with his relatives.
(d) Attempt to escape from prison.
12. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
(a) People are more interested in "winning" an argument than in knowing the truth.
(b) People don't know how to use logic correctly.
(c) People are defeated in logical arguments.
(d) People don't understand the limitations of logic.
13. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
14. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
(a) After Socrates' sentencing, but before his death.
(b) At Socrates' execution.
(c) Before Socrates' sentencing.
(d) Before Socrates was informed that he was being prosecuted.
15. What did Socrates say about the laws of the land during his conversation with Crito?
(a) They are just, so it is just to follow them.
(b) They are unjust, but must be followed.
(c) They control members of society, but don't do much to protect them.
(d) They both protect and control members of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Socrates after his trial?
2. According to Socrates and his friends, what happens to a soul after it spends some time in the Underworld?
3. According to the introduction to the Phaedo, what are the most likely causes of suicide?
4. What did Socrates and his partner realize, via their debate with their friends, about the nature of truth?
5. Approximately how many people were present at Socrates' execution?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)