|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Socrates, what do mislogic and misanthropy have in common?
(a) A lack of self-confidence.
(b) Not having enough social interactions.
(c) Not exercising one's intellect.
(d) Unrealistic expectations.
2. Was Plato present at Socrates' execution?
(a) No, he did not want to attend.
(b) Phaedo doesn't say.
(c) No, he was unwell.
3. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
(a) Before Socrates' sentencing.
(b) At Socrates' execution.
(c) After Socrates' sentencing, but before his death.
(d) Before Socrates was informed that he was being prosecuted.
4. According to Tarrant, why did Socrates submit so easily to his sentencing?
(a) He chose it over being banished.
(b) It afforded him some control.
(c) He had no will to live.
(d) He had a terminal illness.
5. What did the Pythagoreans like to explore?
(a) The physical and scientific causes of things.
(b) The motivations of the gods.
(c) The ways in which deity could be found to manifest itself in everyday life.
(d) The spiritual and intellectual characteristics of man.
6. According to Crito's dialogue with Socrates, who had the right to control a given set of circumstances, or a relationship?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) Qualified individuals, or experts.
(c) The ones who had been given authority by the state.
(d) The most ethical.
7. Against who were Socrates and his partner debating at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
(a) Cebes and Crito.
(b) Simmias and Crito.
(c) Simmias and Cebes.
(d) Phaedo and Crito.
8. What prompted Socrates to try this new activity in prison?
(a) A desire for his work to be preserved.
(c) A dream.
(d) The request of a friend.
9. What concept does Tarrant label as "Christian," which he says the Greeks did not possess?
10. Why did Crito come to visit Socrates?
(a) Socrates owed him money.
(b) He wanted to take care of Socrates' family after his death.
(c) He hoped to prevent Socrates' execution.
(d) Out of friendship.
11. What theory did the Pythagoreans have about the human soul?
(a) They didn't believe in the concept of the soul.
(b) They didn't have a theory about the human soul.
(c) They felt that the soul only lasted as long as the body did.
(d) They felt that the soul was eternal and unchanging.
12. What term did the Greeks use to refer to the souls of the departed?
13. What does "transmigration of souls" mean?
(a) The journey across the River Styx.
(b) The communications from the dead that are received by the living.
(c) Some aspects of an individual exist before, during, and after their lifetime.
(d) Displaced souls that roam the earth.
14. What was Socrates doing when Crito arrived?
15. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
(a) The day of Socrates' execution.
(b) A week after Socrates' execution.
(c) Two days before Socrates' execution.
(d) The day of Socrates' trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
2. When asked how to overcome the difficulty in the debate, what did Socrates suggest?
3. What metaphor did Crito and Socrates use to illustrate their point about authority?
4. What was the other possibility that Socrates contemplated regarding the afterlife?
5. Who was the young woman at Socrates' execution?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)