|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
(a) People don't know how to use logic correctly.
(b) People don't understand the limitations of logic.
(c) People are more interested in "winning" an argument than in knowing the truth.
(d) People are defeated in logical arguments.
2. What was the reason for what happened to Socrates after his trial?
(a) One of his family members interfered with his sentencing.
(b) An Athenian practice which had nothing to do with Socrates.
(c) The judge who presided over his trial reconsidered the sentencing.
(d) One of Socrates' friends, who betrayed him.
3. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
(d) All answers are correct.
4. According to Crito and Socrates, is it just to harm another person if it is purely in retaliation?
(a) The two can't agree.
(c) It depends on the circumstances.
5. Where did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
(a) In Socrates' prison cell.
(b) In the Athenian marketplace.
(c) In Crito's home.
(d) In the courtroom.
6. What is "mislogic", according to Socrates?
(a) Losing a logical argument.
(b) Hatred of logic.
(c) Not understanding logic.
(d) Incorrect use of logic.
7. What did the Pythagoreans conclude about the nature of matter?
(a) All matter was created at the time of the Big Bang.
(b) Matter is solid.
(c) The universe is made up of tiny, invisible particles.
(d) When matter was destroyed, it disappeared.
8. What did Crito say about Socrates' dream?
(a) He felt that Socrates interpreted it incorrectly.
(b) He agreed with Socrates' interpretation of it.
(c) He didn't think it was significant enough to interpret.
(d) He felt that it was strange and mysterious.
9. Who temporarily won the debate in Book 5, Chapter 2?
(a) Socrates and Phaedo.
(b) Phaedo and Cebes.
(c) Simmias and Crito.
(d) Simmias and Cebes.
10. What new activity did Socrates try while in prison?
(c) Writing down some of his dialogues.
(d) Writing poetry.
11. Who is Phaedo?
(a) Socrates' son.
(b) Plato's brother.
(c) One of Socrates' friends.
(d) Meletus' cousin.
12. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
13. Who is the intended audience for the Phaedo?
(a) Students and instructors.
(b) Fellow philosophers.
(c) General readership.
(d) No one; it was not intended for publication.
14. The main point of The Crito is the discussion of what ideal?
15. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
(a) Having realistic expectations.
(b) They can't.
(c) Relying on oneself, rather than others.
(d) Learning more about someone before placing demands on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tarrant, why did Socrates submit so easily to his sentencing?
2. Against who were Socrates and his partner debating at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
3. How did Socrates interpret his dream?
4. How was Socrates executed?
5. What was the view of Socrates' friends on the topic of suicide?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)