|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theory of "Idealism" in philosophy?
(a) Ideas and thoughts have their own existence.
(b) Ideas are constant and unchanging.
(c) The gods are the ideal forms of human qualities.
(d) Physical objects are based upon ideal forms.
2. Who is Crito?
(a) Euthyphro's nephew.
(b) Meletus' cousin.
(c) Socrates' friend.
(d) Socrates' son.
3. Where did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
(a) In Socrates' prison cell.
(b) In the courtroom.
(c) In Crito's home.
(d) In the Athenian marketplace.
4. Who was Phaedo telling the story of Socrates' execution to?
5. Who took the young woman home when she was overcome with emotion?
6. What do we know about Phaedo?
(a) He suffered terribly.
(b) He was not an actual living person.
(c) His intellect rivaled that of Socrates.
(d) He died at a very early age.
7. In what area of thought did the Pythagorean school excel?
(d) All answers are correct.
8. How was Socrates executed?
(a) Drawing and quartering.
(b) Thrown to the lions.
(c) Self-administered hemlock poisoning.
(d) Firing squad.
9. What did Crito say about how he would be affected, personally, by Socrates' death?
(a) He said that his reputation would suffer if he did not attempt to help Socrates.
(b) He would be devastated and wasn't sure he could go on living, himself.
(c) He wouldn't be personally affected, but knew several people who would be.
(d) He would be moved to seek vengeance against those who caused it.
10. What were Socrates and his partner debating about at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
(c) The nature of the human soul.
11. What did Socrates expect when he passed into the Underworld, according to his dialogue with Crito?
(a) He expects to have all his questions answered.
(b) He expects to meet his friends who have passed before him.
(c) He expects to be judged.
(d) He expects to be reborn into another life.
12. Who was the young woman at Socrates' execution?
(a) Phaedo's sister.
(b) Socrates' daughter.
(c) Her identity is unknown.
(d) Socrates' niece.
13. What was Socrates doing when Crito arrived?
14. How did Socrates interpret his dream?
(a) He believed there might be a way for him to escape his execution.
(b) He knew what awaited him in the Underworld.
(c) He believed he had two days left to live.
(d) He felt that Apollo might save him from his fate.
15. Approximately how many people were present at Socrates' execution?
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor did Crito and Socrates use to illustrate their point about authority?
2. What was the relationship, according to Crito and Socrates, between just actions and natural ones?
3. Why did Socrates insist on going through with his sentence?
4. Crito and Socrates agreed that what action is always unjust?
5. What did the Pythagoreans conclude about the nature of matter?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)