|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Last Days of Socrates: Chapter 1, Introductory Notes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Socrates involved in political conflict?
(a) He wanted to be involved in politics, but wasn't educated enough.
(b) He manipulated politicians into conflicts with one another.
(c) His beliefs were not widely accepted.
(d) He proved the ignorance of a politically important person.
2. People who knew Socrates referred to what quality that he possessed?
(b) Supernatural intellect.
3. Which of the four dialogues did not occur at the same time as the others?
(a) The fourth.
(b) The second.
(c) The third.
(d) The first.
4. How were the four dialogues in "The Last Days of Socrates" chosen?
(a) They were written down and published shortly before Socrates' death.
(b) They dealt with death as subject matter.
(c) They were chronologically close to Socrates' death.
(d) They were written down immediately after Socrates' death.
5. How many groups of information are in the book's introductory material?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do variations exist between the translations of the Socratic dialogues?
2. Why did Socrates begin his practice of Socratic inquiry?
3. How did Socrates behave when his beliefs were challenged, according to Tarrant?
4. According to Book 1, Chapter 1, the oldest existing version of the dialogues is from what century?
5. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)