|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Last Days of Socrates: Chapter 1, Introductory Notes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates demonstrated his loyalty to his city in what capacity?
2. The people of his city felt that, for Socrates to have survived this battle, it must have taken a great deal of what?
3. Who originally arranged these four dialogues in a group?
4. Why are the Socratic dialogues still studied, according to Tarrant?
(a) Because scholars still don't completely understand them.
(b) They are challenging for students to comprehend.
(c) The information contained in the dialogues is still relevant.
(d) They must be mastered before other important material from the same time period can be studied.
5. Why do variations exist between the translations of the Socratic dialogues?
(a) There were long periods of time between the translations, so some have archaic language.
(b) The translations were written by people of varying levels of education.
(c) There are very few variations, only hair-splitting will reveal the differences.
(d) They are written for different audiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Socrates obtain a higher education?
2. Approximately how many years ago did the Socratic dialogues take place?
3. According to Tarrant, this version of the Socratic dialogues is unique in what way?
4. According to Tarrant, what is the quality and accuracy of the dialogues originally recorded by Plato?
5. What is the purpose of the notes in Book 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)