|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Last Days of Socrates: Chapter 1, Introductory Notes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tarrant, what is the quality and accuracy of the dialogues originally recorded by Plato?
(a) Somewhat high.
(b) Somewhat low.
(c) Very high.
(d) Very low.
2. Which of the four dialogues did not occur at the same time as the others?
(a) The third.
(b) The second.
(c) The first.
(d) The fourth.
3. According to Tarrant, this version of the Socratic dialogues is unique in what way?
(a) The content of the dialogues.
(b) The translation of the dialogues.
(c) The dialogues contained within.
(d) The notes and pagination.
4. How did Socrates pay for his education?
(a) He lectured at universities.
(b) He borrowed money from a bank.
(c) He tutored the children of rich aristocrats.
(d) He didn't - he educated himself by talking to learned men.
5. Why didn't Socrates obtain a higher education?
(a) No colleges or universities existed at the time.
(b) He wasn't accepted to the University.
(c) He couldn't afford it.
(d) He didn't have the right political connections.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the battle that Socrates miraculously survived?
2. How well did the Grecian authors portray Socrates' beliefs?
3. Socrates demonstrated his loyalty to his city in what capacity?
4. Why was Socrates involved in political conflict?
5. Why did Socrates begin his practice of Socratic inquiry?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)