|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 2, The Phaedo Continued.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tarrant, what parts of a person did the Greeks believe persisted through death?
(a) Their emotions.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Their communicative powers.
(d) Their thoughts.
2. How did Socrates interpret his dream?
(a) He believed he had two days left to live.
(b) He knew what awaited him in the Underworld.
(c) He felt that Apollo might save him from his fate.
(d) He believed there might be a way for him to escape his execution.
3. What class of people, in Athens, did Socrates really enjoy having dialogues with?
(a) Skilled craftsmen.
4. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
(a) Having realistic expectations.
(b) They can't.
(c) Learning more about someone before placing demands on them.
(d) Relying on oneself, rather than others.
5. What were Socrates and his partner debating about at the end of Book 5, Chapter 2?
(c) The nature of the human soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Socrates say would happen if the jury condemned him?
2. Why did Socrates insist on going through with his sentence?
3. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
4. Why did Socrates begin his practice of Socratic inquiry?
5. How did Socrates pay for his education?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)