|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5, The Phaedo: Chapter 2, The Phaedo Continued.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day does the "Phaedo" take place?
(a) A week after Socrates' execution.
(b) The day of Socrates' execution.
(c) Two days before Socrates' execution.
(d) The day of Socrates' trial.
2. How can a person avoid all disappointment, according to Socrates?
(a) Relying on oneself, rather than others.
(b) Having realistic expectations.
(c) They can't.
(d) Learning more about someone before placing demands on them.
3. Who went to see the Apollonian Oracle at Delphi?
4. What was Socrates' objection to Euthyphro prosecuting his relative?
(a) Euthyphro had no way to be sure he was prosecuting the right person.
(b) Loyalty to family should come before loyalty to the law.
(c) Euthyphro didn't know all of the circumstances surrounding the crime.
(d) Euthyphro was known to have committed some minor crimes himself, and no one in his family prosecuted him for it.
5. What aspect of the afterlife did Socrates claim to look forward to?
(a) Being free from pain.
(b) Meeting others who had passed on.
(c) Finally knowing the will of the gods.
(d) Not being subject to the judgments of others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Socrates plead with Crito to listen to his reasoning?
2. According to the conversation between Euthyphro and Socrates, what was the relationship between deities and mortals?
3. People who knew Socrates referred to what quality that he possessed?
4. What is the reason, according to Socrates, for "mislogic"?
5. According to Tarrant, why did Socrates submit so easily to his sentencing?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)