|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, The Crito: Chapter 1, Introduction & Crito.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "apology" mean, in the context of the dialogue of that name?
(a) An explanation for one's behavior.
(b) A plea to the jury for forgiveness.
(c) The same as its modern definition.
(d) Socrates' entire defense at his trial.
2. When did Socrates' dialogue with Crito take place?
(a) Before Socrates was informed that he was being prosecuted.
(b) At Socrates' execution.
(c) After Socrates' sentencing, but before his death.
(d) Before Socrates' sentencing.
3. Why did Socrates begin his practice of Socratic inquiry?
(a) To determine the guilt or innocence of a suspected criminal.
(b) To help people gain greater insight into their own characters.
(c) To help students prepare for examinations.
(d) To engage learned men in conversation.
4. What was Socrates doing when Crito arrived?
5. Approximately how many years ago did the Socratic dialogues take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Euthyphro react to Socrates' objections?
2. Why was the Oracle at Delphi created?
3. What was the biggest factor that confused the debate between Socrates and Euthyphro?
4. According to Socrates, why did he begin questioning the answer of the Oracle at Delphi?
5. What happened at the end of the dialogue between Euthyphro and Socrates?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)