|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Whitlow unintentionally do?
2. Where is Rincewind determined to go?
3. What frightens Rincewind?
4. Who does Rincewind claim to have met while the world was being made?
5. What does the Senior Wrangler believe the Egregious Professor is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of most of the magicians and teachers of magic at the Unseen University, and who is the exception?
2. How did Rincewind the Wizzard get lost on the largely mythical continent of Fourecks?
3. What does Stibbons observe on Mono Island, and what conclusions does he draw from this observation?
4. What is pursuing Rincewind and Mad and how does Mad manage to pull away from them?
5. What do the elders have a hard time grasping about their situation when Stibbons explains how they have gone backward in time?
6. What is Rincewind the Wizzard's greatest difficulty?
7. What is wrong with the Librarian that is causing Rincewind to be sought by the Unseen University?
8. What is Rincewind surprised to see depicted, and what does Scrappy tell him?
9. What does the story of the Last Continent deal with?
10. What does Mad tell Rincewind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What colloquial references are made to the people of Australia? How did this add to the set and setting of the novel? Could other cultural references have been to no detriment of the overall plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are vital to the restoration of Fourecks? What roles do each of them play and where? How does the author manage to draw parallels between Fourecks and Earth? What are the similarities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the water shortage to the point where it actually ran out. Speculate on Mr. Pratchett's intent with this plot twist. What did this event represent in the novel, in terms of literary devices and in regards to the overall plot?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)