|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rincewind aghast to see depicted there?
2. Who misses the metaphor about cause and effect?
3. What does the Librarian wonder?
4. From where is Rincewind getting nourishment?
5. What do the Wizards appear to be incapable of obeying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What appears out of the burning marsh and why?
2. What does Death find professionally frustrating, and why?
3. What do the wizards find when they go looking for the Egregious Professor, and what is the outcome of this discovery?
4. What does Stibbons observe on Mono Island, and what conclusions does he draw from this observation?
5. What assertion is made about all tribal myths, including the one about the old man who carries the universe around in a leather bag, and what is that assertion dependent upon?
6. What does Rincewind discover about the walls and rocks?
7. How do the wizards become stranded on Mono Island?
8. What is strange about the watering hole that Rincewind falls into when he is running from Scrappy?
9. What is Rincewind surprised to see depicted, and what does Scrappy tell him?
10. What does Mad tell Rincewind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ails the Librarian? Why are the wizards unable to cure him? What changes does the Librarian go through? Which one lasts the longest? What is the biggest problem with the Librarian's illness?
Essay Topic 2
What branch of 'science' is Stibbons currently studying? What is the underlying principle of this study? What is Ponder's goal? What is he willing to settle for if he is unable to accomplish it?
Essay Topic 3
What politically incorrect references are sprinkled throughout the novel? What do these references indicate about the author, if anything? Are they overall offensive or simply humorous? Why?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)