* Because of the abduction of his twin sister Alyssa, abandonment by his father Spencer, and his mother Katherine's addictive relationship with the despicable Ken Holloway, Johnny Merrimon is a hyper-vigilant thirteen-year-old who double-checks locks on the doors, drinks and skips school, and distrusts adults.
* Johnny is haunted by memories of his family's life together before these losses, determined to find out what has happened to his sister and to collar the responsible person.
* Whenever old family friend Detective Hunt cruises by the Merrimons' house, which is often, Johnny blows him off with a cover story, telling him, "I'm good...hanging in," despite the horrors of his daily life.
* Johnny hangs out with his only friend, Jack, who is the delinquent son of a cop.
* Johnny awakens to discover a collection of Vicodin bottles in the bathroom.
* Johnny wistfully looks at photos of his father and sister...
This section contains 5,562 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)