|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Metellus do with his soldiers when he retreats?
(a) Begins to drill them even harder.
(b) Sends them back to Rome.
(c) Has them scrounge the countryside.
(d) Allows them to rest.
2. What kind of welcome does the public give Metellus when he returns to Rome?
(a) He is just considered as someone who has done his job.
(b) A hero's welcome.
(c) They are indifferent to his return.
(d) There are angry mobs and riots upon his return.
3. What does Sallust say is the problem with how the Roman army lives?
(a) It is too austere.
(b) They are too poor.
(c) It is too luxurious for fighting men.
(d) They live well, but not too well.
4. What does Jugurtha do when Metellus marches past his ambush?
(a) Withdraws, he is too outnumbered.
(b) Nothing, he waits to see what Metellus is going to do.
(c) Attacks him.
(d) Calls a truce to parley.
5. What does Jugurtha think the Romans are likely to do with him?
(a) Take away his position.
(b) Execute him or enslave him.
(c) Make him pay for all his damages.
(d) Put him in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jugurtha do against Metellus's army?
2. How does Sallust present the Roman army in the beginning?
3. To whom does Micipas want to hand over his power?
4. What type of government does Sallust say could bring about a change?
5. Why did the society of the Libyans and the Getulians change?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sallust say is the reason he is writing The Jugurthine War book?
2. Describe the circumstances surrounding Hiempsal's death?
3. What does Jugurtha do after the Roman representatives leave Numidia?
4. What does Jugurtha tell his army and what do they do?
5. What does Sallust say about public office and what most men don't want and how they gain promotions?
6. What does Sallust say about man's intellectual ability and fate?
7. What type of government does Sallust say could solve the problems but what happens when that is attempted?
8. How, when and why did a rift develop between Jugurtha and his brothers?
9. How do the Romans finally arrest Jugurtha?
10. What does Memmuis tell Jugurtha he must do when Cassius brings him to Rome and how does Jugurtha get out of it?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)