|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jugurtha do to Hiempsal?
(a) Send him to the Roman Senate.
(b) Set him up as the head of the government.
(d) Have him assassinated.
2. How does Metellus attempt to provoke Jugurtha?
(a) By killing his wife.
(b) By turning the Numidians against him.
(c) By looting his richest towns.
(d) By arresting his son.
3. How does Sallust present the Roman army in the beginning?
(a) As brutal and incompetent.
(b) As well meaning but ineffectual.
(c) As an undisciplined army of brutes.
(d) As a precise professional force.
4. What does Annuis finally do after speaking with Jugurtha?
(a) Noting, Jugurtha kills him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Return to Rome.
(d) Arrest Jugurtha.
5. What plan of Marius does Metellus scupper?
(a) Ruling Numidia.
(b) Becoming a consul.
(c) Being elected to the Senate.
(d) Becoming a general.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Senate send Calpurnius to Numidia?
2. Why does Adherbal deliver a speech to the Senate?
3. Where does Marius retreat to when attacked by Jugurtha?
4. What kind of welcome does the public give Metellus when he returns to Rome?
5. What do Jugurtha's troops do after Marius retreats?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
2. What does Metellus do with Bohumilcar?
3. What does the Senate tell Jugurtha he must do about Adherbal and what is Jugurtha's response?
4. How, when and why did a rift develop between Jugurtha and his brothers?
5. How does Jugurtha provoke Adherbal into resuming hostilities?
6. What does Memmuis tell Jugurtha he must do when Cassius brings him to Rome and how does Jugurtha get out of it?
7. What type of government does Sallust say could solve the problems but what happens when that is attempted?
8. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
9. How does Jugurtha take care of Annuis?
10. How do the Romans finally arrest Jugurtha?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)