|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Metellus feel about Marius becoming a consul?
(a) He thinks he is too young.
(b) He is delighted with the idea.
(c) He has no opinion.
(d) He does not have a high enough standing.
2. What does the Senate tell Adherbal to do after their representative in question #127 returns?
(a) To hand over all the territory to Jugurtha.
(b) To resign Cirta and talk to Jugurtha.
(c) They don't tell him anything.
(d) To come to Rome.
3. What does Metellus bribe Bohumilcar to do?
(a) Tell the Senate Jugurtha is dead.
(b) Tell the Senate Metellus has won.
(c) Bring him Jugurtha.
(d) Kill Jugurtha.
4. What does the Senate give Metellus after he is elected?
(a) Head of the civil service.
(b) The province of Gaul.
(d) Head of a powerful Senate committee.
5. Who persuades Jugurtha to keep silent about corruption in the Roman government?
(d) Caius Baebius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jugurtha do once the Senate has made its decision on Numidia?
2. How are people reaching powerful positions?
3. What does Sallust say is the problem with how the Roman army lives?
4. What kind of welcome does the public give Metellus when he returns to Rome?
5. What does Marius do after the elections?
Short Essay Questions
1. What forces the Senate to act against Jugurtha and what do they do?
2. What does the senate decide to do about Numidia?
3. How, when and why did a rift develop between Jugurtha and his brothers?
4. Describe the circumstances surrounding Hiempsal's death?
5. What does Jugurtha do after he flees Thala?
6. What does Marius do when he is in Numidia?
7. Who is Marcus Scaurus and what does the Senate have him do? How does Jugurtha respond to Scaurus?
8. How does Metellus handle Jugurtha's ambush and what does he do after the first encounter with Jugurtha?
9. What happens as fear spreads through Numidia?
10. What does the Senate have Metellus do after he is elected and how does Sallust describe Metellus?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)