|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sallust view the body?
(a) As a weak part of humans.
(b) As a beautiful gift from God.
(c) As the best part of a nation.
(d) As a brutal, destructive force.
2. Why does an empire need to have an emphasis on the mind?
(a) The government would be constantly changing without it.
(b) The government has to be smarter than the slaves.
(c) The government has to educate the people.
(d) There is so much paperwork.
3. What did Lucius Sylla to with the army?
(a) Disciplined it radically.
(b) Downsized it.
(c) Made it too big.
(d) Over indulged the soldiers.
4. Why did the government become unsupportable?
(a) Belief in God died.
(b) Society morals disintegrated.
(c) The government became too big.
(d) The civilization became too big.
5. What is Manilos doing in Etrupia?
(a) Raising food for an army.
(b) Assassinating the officials there.
(c) Governing the district.
(d) Getting the poor people on Catiline's side.
6. Into what type of family was Catiline born?
(c) A family from another country.
(d) Slave family.
7. Where are the enemies of Catiline's army?
(a) He is completely encircled by his enemies.
(b) Coming up on his right flank.
(c) Too far to stop him from leaving.
(d) Surrounding him on two sides.
8. Where does Petreius attack Catiline after his initial attack?
(a) On the left wing and in the rear.
(b) Down the center.
(c) Across the entire front.
(d) On the left and right wings.
9. According to Sallust, why did men join the army in the early days of Rome?
(a) To earn renown as a hero.
(b) To impress the women.
(c) To support their country.
(d) To earn better money.
10. Who names Marcus Crassus as a conspirator?
11. Who do Catiline's followers plan to lure to the city gate?
12. What does Cicero decide to do about what he knows?
(a) Raise an army.
(b) Go to the Senate.
(c) Send out assassins.
(d) Go to Africa until it blows over.
13. What does Sallust say is the result of people wanting their own merits celebrated rather then to record others' merits?
(a) Celebrities were more imporatant than leaders.
(b) Romans do not have great literature.
(c) People began fighting for recognition.
(d) The society became weaker.
14. To whom does Catiline go for allies?
(c) The Gauls.
15. When does Antonio declare his injury?
(a) Before the battle.
(b) During the battle.
(d) After the battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cneuis Piso?
2. What happens to the men who have been arrested by the Senate when they are taken from the Senate?
3. What does Catiline plan to do about Cicero?
4. Why did Catiline kill his son?
5. What does Petreius do after Catiline starts to attack?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)