|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catiline do to attract people to his cause?
(a) Promise them to listen to what they want.
(b) Promise them a position in his government.
(c) Give them land.
(d) Buy them gifts and send them mistresses.
2. What does Sallust think a reader of history believes?
(a) History is generally boring.
(b) It is always censored.
(c) It is written with a bias.
(d) It is completely accurate.
3. To whom does Catiline go for allies?
(c) The Gauls.
4. What surprises Petreius about Catiline's attack?
(a) He is not surprised by anything in Catiline's attack.
(b) How weak it is.
(c) How aggressive it is.
(d) How tactically correct it is.
5. Who do Catiline's followers plan to lure to the city gate?
6. What is Catiline doing that is akin to revolution, according to Sallust?
(a) Getting criminals, youngsters and the poor on his side.
(b) Arming the masses.
(c) Killing off important people.
(d) Taking from the wealthy and giving to the poor.
7. Why does Jugurtha easily bribe members of government?
(a) The moral decline in Roman society.
(b) His father was so well known.
(c) The lack of living wages for government workers.
(d) The overall poor economy.
8. What does Catiline promise the people in question #55 if they help him?
(a) More land for their nation.
(b) Gold and riches.
(c) Total freedom from Rome.
(d) Their country being free of debt.
9. Why did Catiline kill his son?
(a) His son tried to kill him.
(b) His son killed his wife.
(c) On the demand of his girlfriend.
(d) He didn't know it was his son.
10. What two groups came together to form Rome?
(a) The Italians and the Germanic Tribes.
(b) The Carthaginians and the Druids.
(c) The Trojans and Aborigines.
(d) The Britons and the Celts.
11. Where does Cicero work?
(a) At the Roman Court.
(b) The solicitation Consul's house.
(c) The Senate building.
(d) In the merchants' section of Rome.
12. Where are the enemies of Catiline's army?
(a) Too far to stop him from leaving.
(b) Coming up on his right flank.
(c) He is completely encircled by his enemies.
(d) Surrounding him on two sides.
13. Where is Volturcius arrested?
(a) In the camp of the Allobroges.
(b) At the end of the Milvian Bridge.
(c) At the Senate.
(d) Outside the city gate.
14. What does Catiline think is the best way to advance one's ambitions?
(a) By assimilation.
(b) By elections.
(c) By conspiracy.
(d) Through war.
15. What does Sallust say is the result of people wanting their own merits celebrated rather then to record others' merits?
(a) Celebrities were more imporatant than leaders.
(b) Romans do not have great literature.
(c) The society became weaker.
(d) People began fighting for recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not like Catiline's plans for Cicero?
2. What does Sallust say is the reason Catiline eventually led the battle from the front line?
3. What do Catiline's followers plan to do with the man in question #59?
4. With whom does Quintus Curius have a relationship?
5. What does Catiline begins to attract to his side?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)