|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catiline finally die?
(a) He dies of old age.
(b) He is killed fighting on the front.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He is killed by Achilles.
2. What do the people in question #55 do after Catiline leaves them?
(a) Disclose his request to Rome.
(b) Nothing, it is of no concern to them.
(c) Send their best warriors to Rome.
(d) Get ready for war.
3. How does Sallust feel about the answer to question #35?
(b) Begrudging respect.
4. Why does an empire need to have an emphasis on the mind?
(a) The government would be constantly changing without it.
(b) The government has to educate the people.
(c) The government has to be smarter than the slaves.
(d) There is so much paperwork.
5. What does Catiline promise the people in question #55 if they help him?
(a) Their country being free of debt.
(b) Gold and riches.
(c) Total freedom from Rome.
(d) More land for their nation.
6. What does the rumors of an army coming to Rome do in the city?
(a) Make the citizens arm themselves.
(c) Spread panic.
(d) Cause hoarding and riots.
7. Who is told about Catiline's plans for Cicero?
8. What does Cicero ask the Allobroges to do?
(a) Play along with Catiline.
(b) Go join Antonio.
(c) Arrange a meeting between him and the conspirators.
(d) Join his army.
9. How does Catiline prepare his soldiers for battle?
(a) By placing them in rows with shields.
(b) With a meeting about tactics.
(c) With a speech.
(d) By passing out food and water.
10. Why did the government become unsupportable?
(a) The civilization became too big.
(b) The government became too big.
(c) Society morals disintegrated.
(d) Belief in God died.
11. What does he tell his followers to carry at all times?
(a) Food and water.
(c) Carrier pigeons.
(d) Letters from him.
12. With what does Sallust say his ancestors built great empires?
(a) With a desire to control people.
(b) With brute strength.
(c) With intellect.
(d) With brute strength and intellect.
13. What does Catiline plan to do about Cicero?
(a) Enlist him in his cause.
(b) Assassinate him.
(c) Make him an advisor.
(d) Exile him.
14. How does Petreius motivate soldiers?
(a) Reminding them of past heroics.
(b) Offering a take in the bounty on Catiline.
(c) Offering combat wages.
(d) Threatening their families.
15. What troops does the Senate send out?
(a) Cicero and his troops.
(b) Octavio and his troops.
(c) Antonio and his troops.
(d) The Senate guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catiline do to attract people to his cause?
2. What happened with Catiline's constituency?
3. What type of people in general, did Sallust say the army had?
4. Where is Volturcius arrested?
5. How do the people in the Senate feel towards Catiline when he enters the Senate?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)