|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catiline say he will do if he is head of the government?
(a) End debt and the greed of the wealthy.
(b) Create a new empire.
(c) Lower taxes.
(d) End slavery.
2. What do the people in question #55 do after Catiline leaves them?
(a) Get ready for war.
(b) Disclose his request to Rome.
(c) Nothing, it is of no concern to them.
(d) Send their best warriors to Rome.
3. What does Sallust say allowed Catiline to increase his power?
(a) A government that was too large.
(b) An uneducated public.
(c) A corrupt society.
4. What does Catiline plan to do with Lucius Cotta and Lucius Torquatus?
(a) Make them ambassadors.
(b) Assassinate them.
(c) Give them high positions in their government.
(d) Marry them to his sisters.
5. How do the people in question #55 respond to Catiline?
(a) At first they agree then change their mind.
(b) They say no then change their mind.
(c) They say yes.
(d) They say no.
6. Why does Jugurtha easily bribe members of government?
(a) The moral decline in Roman society.
(b) The overall poor economy.
(c) His father was so well known.
(d) The lack of living wages for government workers.
7. What does Sallust say is the result of people wanting their own merits celebrated rather then to record others' merits?
(a) Celebrities were more imporatant than leaders.
(b) People began fighting for recognition.
(c) The society became weaker.
(d) Romans do not have great literature.
8. What does Cicero ask the Allobroges to do?
(a) Play along with Catiline.
(b) Go join Antonio.
(c) Arrange a meeting between him and the conspirators.
(d) Join his army.
9. Why is there a public voting for another consul?
(a) The higher consuls were upset about the war.
(b) Some of the people were horrified about drinking human blood.
(c) Cicero found out about the meeting.
(d) Curius tells his girlfriend about the meeting.
10. With what does Sallust say his ancestors built great empires?
(a) With brute strength and intellect.
(b) With intellect.
(c) With a desire to control people.
(d) With brute strength.
11. What does Cato say about the fate of the traitors?
(a) They should be exiled.
(b) They should have to swear an oath of allegiance.
(c) They should be executed.
(d) They should be imprisoned.
12. What does Catiline think is the best way to advance one's ambitions?
(a) By elections.
(b) Through war.
(c) By assimilation.
(d) By conspiracy.
13. How does Petreius motivate soldiers?
(a) Offering combat wages.
(b) Offering a take in the bounty on Catiline.
(c) Reminding them of past heroics.
(d) Threatening their families.
14. Why did Catiline kill his son?
(a) His son tried to kill him.
(b) His son killed his wife.
(c) He didn't know it was his son.
(d) On the demand of his girlfriend.
15. What does Sallust say the prince's way of life promoted?
(b) Bravery and hero worship.
(c) War even when it wasn't necessary.
(d) A weak, indulgent society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two groups came together to form Rome?
2. With whom does Quintus Curius have a relationship?
3. What is Catiline doing that is akin to revolution, according to Sallust?
4. How did Catiline's constituency end up the way it did?
5. What is Cicero told to do about the Catiline situation?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)