|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Petreius about Catiline's attack?
(a) How aggressive it is.
(b) How tactically correct it is.
(c) He is not surprised by anything in Catiline's attack.
(d) How weak it is.
2. Who is told about Catiline's plans for Cicero?
3. What does Sallust say is the reason Catiline eventually led the battle from the front line?
(a) It stopped his men from running away.
(b) He remembered his noble origins.
(c) He was able to keep track of the battle better.
(d) He was a better fighter then most of his men.
4. Why does an empire need to have an emphasis on the mind?
(a) The government would be constantly changing without it.
(b) The government has to educate the people.
(c) There is so much paperwork.
(d) The government has to be smarter than the slaves.
5. To whom does Catiline go for allies?
(c) The Gauls.
6. What does Catiline do after he leaves the Senate?
(a) Go to Spain.
(b) Begin to raise an army in Rome.
(c) Go see his wife.
(d) Go to Manilus.
7. What happened with Catiline's constituency?
(a) They were ignored by others.
(b) They were starving.
(c) They became very wealthy.
(d) They became power hungry.
8. What does Catiline promise the people in question #55 if they help him?
(a) More land for their nation.
(b) Gold and riches.
(c) Their country being free of debt.
(d) Total freedom from Rome.
9. What does Cato say about the fate of the traitors?
(a) They should have to swear an oath of allegiance.
(b) They should be exiled.
(c) They should be executed.
(d) They should be imprisoned.
10. What does he tell his followers to carry at all times?
(a) Letters from him.
(b) Food and water.
(c) Carrier pigeons.
11. With whom does Quintus Curius have a relationship?
12. Why did Catiline kill his son?
(a) His son tried to kill him.
(b) On the demand of his girlfriend.
(c) His son killed his wife.
(d) He didn't know it was his son.
13. Who does Sallust say Piso treated harshly?
(c) The Spanish.
(d) The Barbarians.
14. What does Catiline do when he realizes he is overpowered?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He surrenders his army.
(c) He slips away to France.
(d) He charges to the front.
15. How does Sallust view the body?
(a) As a beautiful gift from God.
(b) As a brutal, destructive force.
(c) As the best part of a nation.
(d) As a weak part of humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sallust say is the result of people wanting their own merits celebrated rather then to record others' merits?
2. Where does Catiline tell the Senate he is going because of the accusations against him?
3. What type of debate does the Senate have over the men Cicero arrests?
4. What does Catiline plan to do with Lucius Cotta and Lucius Torquatus?
5. What did Lucius Sylla to with the army?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)