|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cicero work?
(a) The solicitation Consul's house.
(b) At the Roman Court.
(c) The Senate building.
(d) In the merchants' section of Rome.
2. What is Catiline doing that is akin to revolution, according to Sallust?
(a) Getting criminals, youngsters and the poor on his side.
(b) Taking from the wealthy and giving to the poor.
(c) Arming the masses.
(d) Killing off important people.
3. How does the Senate decide Crassus' guilt?
(a) By torture.
(b) With a trial.
(c) By following his movements for a week.
(d) With a vote.
4. Who is marching towards Catiline and his army?
(b) Metellius Kato.
5. What does Catiline plan to do with Lucius Cotta and Lucius Torquatus?
(a) Give them high positions in their government.
(b) Marry them to his sisters.
(c) Make them ambassadors.
(d) Assassinate them.
6. How do the people in question #55 respond to Catiline?
(a) They say yes.
(b) They say no.
(c) They say no then change their mind.
(d) At first they agree then change their mind.
7. What does Sallust say wise leaders did in the beginning of the nation?
(a) Controlled the morals of the people.
(b) Put in checks and balances on power.
(c) Conquered other lands through a strong army.
(d) Brought people together with love of their country.
8. Where are the enemies of Catiline's army?
(a) Too far to stop him from leaving.
(b) Surrounding him on two sides.
(c) Coming up on his right flank.
(d) He is completely encircled by his enemies.
9. What does Catiline promise the Senate?
(a) To sow seeds of discontent.
(b) To support it.
(c) To burn it down.
(d) To become head of it.
10. When did greed take over society, according to Sallust?
(a) When the prince's died in battle.
(b) When Catiline took over.
(c) When the empire was too old.
(d) When the empire became too big.
11. What does he tell his followers to carry at all times?
(a) Letters from him.
(b) Food and water.
(c) Carrier pigeons.
12. Who names Marcus Crassus as a conspirator?
13. Who does Cicero arrange to wait under the Milvian Bridge?
(a) Two men.
(b) Catiline's wife.
(d) Three Senators.
14. Why was the early Roman society morally sound?
(a) An oppressive government.
(b) It was healthier.
(c) Natural inclination.
(d) A repressive religion.
15. Where does Petreius attack Catiline after his initial attack?
(a) On the left and right wings.
(b) On the left wing and in the rear.
(c) Across the entire front.
(d) Down the center.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the conspirators do when they hear Catiline plans to burn the city?
2. What does Catiline do when he realizes he is overpowered?
3. What does Sallust say allowed Catiline to increase his power?
4. What does Cicero decide to do about what he knows?
5. Where does Catiline tell the Senate he is going because of the accusations against him?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)