|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "prestidigitation" mean?
2. What is one thing today's chef must have?
3. To what is Franz Liszt compared?
4. What does Wilson say laboring in the kitchen takes?
5. What is one of medicine's oldest links?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Paul Broca and for what is he known?
2. Upon what does early medicine rely?
3. What two brain task does Noam Chomsky say are necessary for an individual to speak a language?
4. What does eating at LuLu teach Wilson?
5. What must chefs do to create a meal?
6. What does Feldenkrais say about how parents can inhibit their child's abilities?
7. Why does Wilson bring up his friend Jack Schaefer?
8. Explain the term "BackTur."
9. What type of therapy is used in many cultures and to what does it go back?
10. What area of the brain seems to be specialized for language and for how long has this are been adapted for language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hand belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 2
Monkeys and apes evolve from quadruped--walking on four legs--to biped, which enables movement on branches and treetops. The Pliocene epoch brings the hominids with a recognizable four-finger hand and thumb exemplified by Lucy, lacking some flexibilities of a modern hand. For example Lucy can pound and throw stones accurately overhand, unlike chimps that throw only underhand. These bio mechanical hand changes are accompanied by increased brain size, social structure, communication and cooperative tool making.
1. Discuss, in depth, how bipedal locomotion gave the hominids more survival advantages over apes. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, in depth, why it was so important about Lucy developing four fingers and a thumb? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Give reasons why the bio mechanical hand changes helped to increase brain size. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Wilson reflects on the notion that each of us evolve over time in our own lives by unifying body and spirit through personal growth and learning. For example, Percelly and David both cross paths of trouble and opportunity mixed with family and tribal routines to try new skills or combinations. These new-found abilities are part of their repertoire that becomes useful to them and can be passed on to others.
1. Explain why Wilson might believe that personal growth helps unite the spirit and the body. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which having trouble in a person's life could be an opportunity. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which a person in a family or group or tribe learning new skills might benefit the entire group. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)