|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Feldenkrais facilitate?
2. For how long has the brain been preadapted for speech?
3. Who coins the term ChomTur?
4. What develops early in the brain of a child?
5. What is a "laterality quotient"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Moshe Feldenkrais and what does he discover?
2. What does Plotkin say about secondary heuristics?
3. What does William Calvin believe about female apes?
4. Why does Wilson bring up his friend Jack Schaefer?
5. Who is Paul Broca and for what is he known?
6. What do medicine and magic have in common?
7. What does Wilson say about the skills of musical virtuosos?
8. What type of therapy is used in many cultures and to what does it go back?
9. Why can't ground mammals take advantage of this global change?
10. What does the author think about concerning a high school language teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilson has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
3. Judging what Wilson says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Hand belongs to the non-fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the non-fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a non-fiction and a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Wilson reflects on the notion that each of us evolve over time in our own lives by unifying body and spirit through personal growth and learning. For example, Percelly and David both cross paths of trouble and opportunity mixed with family and tribal routines to try new skills or combinations. These new-found abilities are part of their repertoire that becomes useful to them and can be passed on to others.
1. Explain why Wilson might believe that personal growth helps unite the spirit and the body. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which having trouble in a person's life could be an opportunity. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which a person in a family or group or tribe learning new skills might benefit the entire group. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)