|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the beginning of this chapter say the hand been used throughout its long history?
2. What does William Calvin claim about female apes?
3. How many years ago did changes in global climate initiate an ecosystem of fruits and flowers?
4. By what age do most young children begin to make sentences?
5. What skills does Wilson say today's warriors learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the hand been used throughout its long history?
2. What does William Calvin believe about female apes?
3. What must chefs do to create a meal?
4. Why does Wilson bring up his friend Jack Schaefer?
5. What does eating at LuLu teach Wilson?
6. What area of the brain seems to be specialized for language and for how long has this are been adapted for language?
7. What does Feldenkrais say about how parents can inhibit their child's abilities?
8. What type of therapy is used in many cultures and to what does it go back?
9. Upon what does early medicine rely?
10. What two brain task does Noam Chomsky say are necessary for an individual to speak a language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, in depth, the following statements using examples from the text to support your answer:
1. Writing and drawing relate to many other skills using small tools by both right and left-handers.
2. Throwing and throwing arm choice correlates with other whole body skills.
3. Right-handers both write and throw with that hand, whereas left-hand writers throw with right hands in one-half the cases and have stronger, larger right-hand thumbs and kick with a right foot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. A puzzling consideration for the author is the hand's ability to be adept at rock-climbing and piano-playing. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
2. The human hand is a tool that functions at a wide variety and range of speed and strength. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. The hand function clinician John Napier identifies the terms "power grip" and "precision grip" by defining "prehensile" and "non-prehensile" movement. Explain the terms in the above sentence. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Wilson reflects on the notion that each of us evolve over time in our own lives by unifying body and spirit through personal growth and learning. For example, Percelly and David both cross paths of trouble and opportunity mixed with family and tribal routines to try new skills or combinations. These new-found abilities are part of their repertoire that becomes useful to them and can be passed on to others.
1. Explain why Wilson might believe that personal growth helps unite the spirit and the body. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which having trouble in a person's life could be an opportunity. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which a person in a family or group or tribe learning new skills might benefit the entire group. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)