|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wilson wonder about his daughter?
2. What does "prestidigitation" mean?
3. What is aphasia?
4. To what does Kathleen Gibson attribute human intelligence?
5. What type of intelligence does Patricia Greenfield study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Wilson's conclusions about musical talent or heuristic?
2. Why can't ground mammals take advantage of this global change?
3. What is the result of global climate changes 65 million years ago?
4. Upon what does early medicine rely?
5. What does Wilson say about stone knapping?
6. Describe Peter Reynolds work.
7. Who is Moshe Feldenkrais and what does he discover?
8. Who is Patricia Greenfield and what does she theorize?
9. What is one of medicine's oldest links and how does it work?
10. How has the hand been used throughout its long history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Hand. Questions that Wilson most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Wilson's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Wilson's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Wilson and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Wilson has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
3. Judging what Wilson says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The human brain accounts for intelligence or the ability to discover, weigh and relate facts to solve problems. Wilson claims there are two problem-solving strategies that stand out. They are the ability to design and manufacture a large, diverse, specialized inventory of tools and the use of words established by agreement among people as codes and symbols to stand for a real-world object or process.
1. Explain, in depth, why the ability to discover, weigh, and relate facts is a good measure of intelligence. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain why the ability to design and manufacture tools is an important survival skill and problem solving ability. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Explain how language consists of agreements about codes and symbols among people. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)