|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of the brain do scientists believe is specialized for language?
2. What does the Israeli physicist perceive as a sophisticated controller of movement?
3. How does Greenfield say she knows how a child will solve Greenfield's stick puzzle?
4. In what way does Yves Guiard propose both hands perform?
5. What does the beginning of this chapter say the hand been used throughout its long history?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Patricia Greenfield and what does she theorize?
2. What must chefs do to create a meal?
3. Upon what does early medicine rely?
4. What is the title of Feldenkrais' book and what does the book claim?
5. What area of the brain seems to be specialized for language and for how long has this are been adapted for language?
6. What are Wilson's conclusions about musical talent or heuristic?
7. What is one thing that influences which hand is dominant and what are a couple other characteristics that are often associated with one dominant hand or the other?
8. What does Wilson say about the skills of musical virtuosos?
9. What type of therapy is used in many cultures and to what does it go back?
10. Why can't ground mammals take advantage of this global change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilson has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
3. Judging what Wilson says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Chose one of the following:
1. The hand has been used through its long history for both social interaction and attention. Discuss, in depth, how hands are used for social interaction. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth, some of the ways in which the hand is used for getting attention. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Social pressures often dictate which hand is dominant or most frequently used, such as right or left handedness, and attribute to it other irrelevant characteristics like intelligence or sex. Why do you think people connect unrelated characteristics with which hand is dominant? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Hand. Questions that Wilson most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Wilson's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Wilson's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Wilson and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)