|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both knapping and rock climbing require?
2. Upon what did early medicine rely for healing?
3. What must the magician do for success?
4. What does Wilson say laboring in the kitchen takes?
5. What often dictates which hand is dominate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does eating at LuLu teach Wilson?
2. What area of the brain seems to be specialized for language and for how long has this are been adapted for language?
3. What type of therapy is used in many cultures and to what does it go back?
4. What is one of medicine's oldest links and how does it work?
5. What do medicine and magic have in common?
6. What are Wilson's conclusions about musical talent or heuristic?
7. How has the hand been used throughout its long history?
8. Upon what does early medicine rely?
9. What is the title of Feldenkrais' book and what does the book claim?
10. What two brain task does Noam Chomsky say are necessary for an individual to speak a language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, in depth, the following statements using examples from the text to support your answer:
1. Writing and drawing relate to many other skills using small tools by both right and left-handers.
2. Throwing and throwing arm choice correlates with other whole body skills.
3. Right-handers both write and throw with that hand, whereas left-hand writers throw with right hands in one-half the cases and have stronger, larger right-hand thumbs and kick with a right foot.
Essay Topic 2
Through the ages of human history Wilson explores cultural transformation of human paths and posits the "permanent immaturity" of a human brain. Wilson's underlying thesis is that people are born resourceful. Over time and experience, they adapt and evolve to become skillful and thoughtful.
1. Explain, in detail what is meant by "permanent immaturity" of a human brain. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss two ways in which humans have adapted to their environment. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Explain how becoming more skillful and thoughtful is related to evolution. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Mary Marzke follows up on Napier's initial work to classify three types of grip that are defined as pad-to-side, three-jawed chuck and five-jawed cradle. Describe the three types of grips in detail and discuss why you do or do not agree with Marzke that there are only three types of grips. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. What are the eight features of the human hand that Marzke discusses and why are they important? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Describe what you think is the single most important modification of the ape hand to human society and why you think it is. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)