|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What often dictates which hand is dominate?
2. What area of the brain do scientists believe is specialized for language?
3. What does "prestidigitation" mean?
4. With whom does the University of New Mexico perform a study about communicative movements?
5. What skills does Wilson say today's warriors learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plotkin say about secondary heuristics?
2. How has the hand been used throughout its long history?
3. What does William Calvin believe about female apes?
4. What must chefs do to create a meal?
5. What is the title of Feldenkrais' book and what does the book claim?
6. What does Feldenkrais say about how parents can inhibit their child's abilities?
7. What do medicine and magic have in common?
8. What does the author think about concerning a high school language teacher?
9. What does Wilson say about the skills of musical virtuosos?
10. What is the result of global climate changes 65 million years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chose one of the following:
1. The hand has been used through its long history for both social interaction and attention. Discuss, in depth, how hands are used for social interaction. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth, some of the ways in which the hand is used for getting attention. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Social pressures often dictate which hand is dominant or most frequently used, such as right or left handedness, and attribute to it other irrelevant characteristics like intelligence or sex. Why do you think people connect unrelated characteristics with which hand is dominant? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Through the ages of human history Wilson explores cultural transformation of human paths and posits the "permanent immaturity" of a human brain. Wilson's underlying thesis is that people are born resourceful. Over time and experience, they adapt and evolve to become skillful and thoughtful.
1. Explain, in detail what is meant by "permanent immaturity" of a human brain. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss two ways in which humans have adapted to their environment. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Explain how becoming more skillful and thoughtful is related to evolution. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. A puzzling consideration for the author is the hand's ability to be adept at rock-climbing and piano-playing. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
2. The human hand is a tool that functions at a wide variety and range of speed and strength. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. The hand function clinician John Napier identifies the terms "power grip" and "precision grip" by defining "prehensile" and "non-prehensile" movement. Explain the terms in the above sentence. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)