|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a second language requirement?
2. What does the Israeli physicist discover?
3. According to Chomsky, how many brain tasks are required for speaking language?
4. What is a consistent practice common to Feldenkrais and other methods of healing?
5. What helps the high school teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Moshe Feldenkrais and what does he discover?
2. Who is Jeanne Bamberger and what does Wilson write about her work?
3. What two brain task does Noam Chomsky say are necessary for an individual to speak a language?
4. Explain the term "BackTur."
5. What type of therapy is used in many cultures and to what does it go back?
6. How has the hand been used throughout its long history?
7. Upon what does early medicine rely?
8. What is one of medicine's oldest links and how does it work?
9. Explain the studies that are conducted by a joint effort of University of New Mexico and Gallaudet University?
10. What does eating at LuLu teach Wilson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Monkeys and apes evolve from quadruped--walking on four legs--to biped, which enables movement on branches and treetops. The Pliocene epoch brings the hominids with a recognizable four-finger hand and thumb exemplified by Lucy, lacking some flexibilities of a modern hand. For example Lucy can pound and throw stones accurately overhand, unlike chimps that throw only underhand. These bio mechanical hand changes are accompanied by increased brain size, social structure, communication and cooperative tool making.
1. Discuss, in depth, how bipedal locomotion gave the hominids more survival advantages over apes. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss, in depth, why it was so important about Lucy developing four fingers and a thumb? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Give reasons why the bio mechanical hand changes helped to increase brain size. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Wilson has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
3. Judging what Wilson says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In order for hominids to expand their range into habitats beyond the jungle, they required continuing brain evolution. The expansion of territory by hominids took group cooperation for survival. A professor of biology from the University of Liverpool named Robin Dunbar proposes a theory of brain growth, language and intelligence to correlate neocortex, brain size, with a stable group or tribe.
1. Explain how greater intelligence enabled hominids to leave the jungle. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain, in depth, why cooperation among hominids would be an important aspect of survival. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which cooperation and social living might increase the brain size or intelligence of hominids. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)