|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say comes to life even before you rise out of bed in the morning?
2. According to Wilson, how many problem-solving strategies are there that stand out above all others?
3. What sport does David participate in during High School?
4. How does David control the horses he raises?
5. What helps maintain a skill that is learned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Marzke classify and how does she do so?
2. What does Charles Bell believe about practice?
3. Explain the crane metaphor Wilson uses.
4. What did Herophilus and Galen discover?
5. Who is George, and what does Wilson say about him?
6. What are the eight features of the human hand according to Mary Marzke?
7. What aspects of the human capacity for passionate, creative work does Wilson illustrate?
8. How were the ape and human hands compared anatomically until recently?
9. Who is David and how is he able to succeed at wrestling despite not being very strong?
10. What does Wilson say about juggling as a pastime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order for hominids to expand their range into habitats beyond the jungle, they required continuing brain evolution. The expansion of territory by hominids took group cooperation for survival. A professor of biology from the University of Liverpool named Robin Dunbar proposes a theory of brain growth, language and intelligence to correlate neocortex, brain size, with a stable group or tribe.
1. Explain how greater intelligence enabled hominids to leave the jungle. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Explain, in depth, why cooperation among hominids would be an important aspect of survival. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which cooperation and social living might increase the brain size or intelligence of hominids. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Wilson has cited a number of people in this book. Discuss he following:
1. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions positively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
2. Choose three people whom Wilson mentions negatively and give a brief idea of his opinions about those three people (or stereotypes). Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
3. Judging what Wilson says about different people in his text, how would you characterize him as a friend? As a colleague? Use examples from The Hand to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss, in depth, the following statements using examples from the text to support your answer:
1. Writing and drawing relate to many other skills using small tools by both right and left-handers.
2. Throwing and throwing arm choice correlates with other whole body skills.
3. Right-handers both write and throw with that hand, whereas left-hand writers throw with right hands in one-half the cases and have stronger, larger right-hand thumbs and kick with a right foot.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)