|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what do marionettes exhibit similarities?
(a) The way a wedge works.
(b) Block and tackles.
(d) The human muscle and tendon configuration in arms and legs.
2. What is the weight of the touch of a pianist's fingers on the keyboard?
(a) About twelve ounces per square inch.
(b) About eight ounces per square inch.
(c) About three pounds per square inch.
(d) Less than three ounces per square inch.
3. On the other hand, why might juggling have a use?
(a) It can earn money on the street corner.
(b) The balls can be thrown at a robber.
(c) It involves the complementary processes of throwing and catching.
(d) It can give you aerobic exercise if you do it vigorously.
4. Who describes the hand as the "consummation of all perfection as an instrument"?
(a) Issac Newton.
(b) Francis Bacon.
(c) Sir Francis Hemmington.
(d) Sir Charles Bell.
5. Up until a certain point, what separated the human hand from that of the ape's hand?
(a) The size.
(b) The number of digits.
(c) The texture.
(d) The thumb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Until recently, how have anthropologists perceived ape and human hands?
2. What does the coordination of muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones do?
3. From where does Sherrington discover signals originate to cause movement?
4. According to Wilson, what did the expansion of territory by hominids require?
5. What does Charles Bell say practice enables?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wilson say about our hands and feet as we are about to waken and right after?
2. What aspects of the human capacity for passionate, creative work does Wilson illustrate?
3. What did Herophilus and Galen discover?
4. What do humans need to move out of the jungle?
5. Who is David and how is he able to succeed at wrestling despite not being very strong?
6. What does Wilson say about juggling as a pastime?
7. According to Wilson, what are the two problem-solving strategies that stand out?
8. What two terms does Duchenne propose for the scale of movement required by two hands acting in partnership?
9. What are the eight features of the human hand according to Mary Marzke?
10. Who is George, and what does Wilson say about him?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)