|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does Sherrington discover signals originate to cause movement?
(a) The brain.
(b) The muscle itself.
(c) The spinal cord.
(d) The blood.
2. How does the brain teach itself in order to juggle?
(a) By requiring the juggler to repeat a motion over and over.
(b) By learning how to trigger individual muscles rather than groups of muscles.
(c) By making the brain and hand work together.
(d) By learning how to trigger groups of muscles rather than individual muscles.
3. What did hominids require in order to expand their range beyond the jungle?
(a) Walking upright.
(b) Brain evolution.
(c) Opposing thumb.
4. What is the ability to design and manufacture tools considered by Wilson?
(a) The way humans evolve.
(b) The only way the brain can solve mechanical problems.
(c) A problem-solving strategy.
(d) The way to take advantage of the hand's capabilities.
5. What does Henry Plotkin propose intelligence is?
(a) A secondary heuristic.
(b) A genetically fixed amount.
(c) A learned response.
(d) A primary heuristic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robin Dunbar?
2. What is one thing that shoulder and forearm development enabled?
3. What is one activity the author mentions that the hand usually does in the morning?
4. What does Rene Decartes think fluid in the eye does?
5. For what does the thumb have to be long enough?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is George, and what does Wilson say about him?
2. Explain the studies that are conducted by a joint effort of University of New Mexico and Gallaudet University?
3. What does Feldenkrais say about how parents can inhibit their child's abilities?
4. Explain the term "BackTur."
5. What does Wilson conclude in the Epilogue?
6. What is one thing that influences which hand is dominant and what are a couple other characteristics that are often associated with one dominant hand or the other?
7. Who is Paul Broca and for what is he known?
8. What do medicine and magic have in common?
9. How were the ape and human hands compared anatomically until recently?
10. Who is David and how is he able to succeed at wrestling despite not being very strong?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)