|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What operator has to do to anticipate load weight and wind changes?
(a) A grain elevator operator.
(b) A bulldozer operator.
(c) An elevator operator.
(d) A crane operator.
2. What is one activity the author mentions that the hand usually does in the morning?
(a) Conducts a symphony.
(b) Plays with a football.
(c) Twisting a water faucet.
(d) Grooms the dog.
3. What does Charles Bell say practice enables?
(a) The hand and eye to develop as sense organs.
(b) The juggler to juggle and chew gum at the same time.
(c) The juggler to talk and juggle at the same time.
(d) The juggler to manage a dozen or more objects.
4. What does Duchenne figure out how to demonstrate?
(a) The way a muscle contracts in order to push.
(b) The way an electrical charge stops movement.
(c) The way a muscle expands in order to pull.
(d) The physiology of movement.
5. What does the author say we are dependent upon that we rarely think about?
(a) Our food.
(b) Our appointment books.
(c) Our interaction with others.
(d) Our hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other main reason the author writes this book on the hand?
2. How does David control the horses he raises?
3. What is one puzzling concern the author mentions in this chapter?
4. To what was the pre-human arm metaphorically compared?
5. What does Henry Plotkin propose intelligence is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is David and how is he able to succeed at wrestling despite not being very strong?
2. What does the addition and transport of weight to the body cause?
3. What are Australopithecines and what is an example of one?
4. What two terms does Duchenne propose for the scale of movement required by two hands acting in partnership?
5. What is the connection between marionettes and the human muscle and tendon configuration in the arms and legs?
6. How does the touch of the pianist differ from that of the rock climber?
7. Who is Merlin Donald and what does he propose?
8. What do humans need to move out of the jungle?
9. How did Duchenne demonstrate the physiology of movement?
10. What does Mary Marzke classify and how does she do so?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)