|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Wilson, what did the expansion of territory by hominids require?
(a) Equality of the sexes.
(b) Inequality of the sexes.
(c) Good leadership.
(d) Group cooperation.
2. What is one feature of the human hand that Marzke identifies?
(a) Greater flexibility.
(b) Longer thumb.
(c) Larger knuckles.
(d) Greater range.
3. What does the author attempt to do that is not a well-orchestrated pattern of learning from simple to more complex?
(a) Brain surgery.
(b) Playing the saxophone.
(c) Build a model airplane.
(d) Playing the piano.
4. What is the weight of the touch of a pianist's fingers on the keyboard?
(a) About eight ounces per square inch.
(b) Less than three ounces per square inch.
(c) About three pounds per square inch.
(d) About twelve ounces per square inch.
5. What does Charles Sherrington claim about the tip of the thumb and index finger?
(a) They are unable to feel tiny movements.
(b) They are treated like the sensitive part of the retina.
(c) They have more nerve endings than the other fingers.
(d) They are unable to distinguish different types of movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the strength of a climber's grip on a rock face?
2. What is paleoanthropology?
3. What does Galvani discover about electrical forces?
4. Why does the author say juggling might be considered a pastime that accomplishes nothing?
5. What does Merlin Donald's theory of cultural and cognitive evolution propose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does practice after learning do?
2. How does the touch of the pianist differ from that of the rock climber?
3. How did Duchenne demonstrate the physiology of movement?
4. What is the connection between marionettes and the human muscle and tendon configuration in the arms and legs?
5. What puzzles Frank Wilson about rock climbing and piano playing? Why?
6. Who is Merlin Donald and what does he propose?
7. What does the addition and transport of weight to the body cause?
8. What does Wilson say about our hands and feet as we are about to waken and right after?
9. What does Wilson propose as the juggling riddle, and why do children not aspire to juggle?
10. What does Charles Bell believe about practice?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)