|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the fruits and flowers provide?
(b) Ground food.
(c) Treetop food.
2. To what is primate grooming connected?
(a) Human grooming.
(b) Learning ways to use the hands.
(c) Hands-on therapy.
(d) Learning dexterity.
3. How does Greenfield say she knows how a child will solve Greenfield's stick puzzle?
(a) By knowing if the child can read.
(b) By knowing the child's age.
(c) By observing which foot the child starts out on when walking.
(d) By observing which thumb is larger.
4. What is sometimes attributed to intelligence or gender?
(b) Good penmanship.
(c) The uses to which one puts the hand.
(d) Which hand one uses as the dominent hand.
5. Who calls the hidden structure of words "innate syntax"?
(a) Andrew Carnie.
(b) Arthur Abramson.
(d) Frederick de Saussure.
6. How many levels does the continuum of communicative movements have?
7. How is the dominant hand theoretically controlled?
(a) They have no concrete evidence as to how it's determined.
(d) The number of nerve endings in each hand.
8. What does Wilson say is not genetic?
(a) The ability to hear tone.
(b) Musical talent.
(c) The ability to learn languages.
(d) The ability to sing.
9. What does Wilson wonder about his daughter?
(a) If she can rock climb since she is an accomplished musician.
(b) How she makes her fingers move so fast over the piano keyboard?
(c) If her fingers could move faster over the piano keyboard.
(d) If her stuttering was what leads to her abilities as a musician.
10. What can both humans and primates make?
(d) Complex tools.
11. To what do writing and drawing relate?
(a) Touch and sight.
(c) Seeing and hearing.
(d) Many other skills using small tools.
12. For how long has the brain been preadapted for speech?
(a) Over 100,000 years.
(b) For about 10,000 years.
(c) For about 25,000 years.
(d) More than a million years.
13. What is aphasia?
(a) A motor impairment that affects the hand.
(b) A disease that limits the function of the medulla.
(c) A language impairment.
(d) A way of charting the areas of the brain.
14. How many years ago did changes in global climate initiate an ecosystem of fruits and flowers?
(a) 50 thousand.
(b) 1.5 million.
(c) 10 million.
(d) 65 million.
15. What is an example of a secondary heuristic?
(a) A primary heuristic that is used in a non-primary way.
(b) Psychic abilities.
(c) Using one thing such as fingers to perform something that it normally would not do.
(d) Human language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of medicine's oldest links?
2. What distinguishes a proficient surgeon from a mediocre one?
3. What can can restore feeling to one who has lost a sense of connection with their body and enable movement again?
4. What area of the brain do scientists believe is specialized for language?
5. What does Wilson say laboring in the kitchen takes?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)