|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daphne say the West would not have without Islam?
2. What does Daphne submit her parents’ and Ellery and Maryam’s names for?
3. What is the Sal’s Café employee’s connection with Turkey?
4. What sound takes Daphne back to a trip to Greece with her mother?
5. What prevents Daphne from hearing more about American Exceptionalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the goat bell in Daphne’s house remind her?
2. Where are Daphne’s thoughts taking her at the beginning of the novel?
3. What the State of Jefferson?
4. What unexpected connection does Daphne make at the café?
5. How does Daphne characterize the circle of her conversation with Engin?
6. How does Daphne characterize her experience going to church with Honey?
7. How does Daphne react when Honey injures herself at the Golden Spike?
8. What positions do the editorials take on the State of Jefferson, in the paper Daphne reads?
9. How does Daphne say she feels about her job?
10. What is the state of Daphne’s finances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the ending of The Golden State. Does it ring true to you? Does it successfully resolve the problems and tensions that preceded it? What would you change, if anything? What are you left wishing for closure on, if anything?
Essay Topic 2
Debate the proposition that the ending of The Golden State is a triumph. What are the best arguments in favor of a triumphant ending? What are the arguments against this proposition? Explain why your argument is most convincing.
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)