|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Daphne’s daughter?
2. What causes Daphne to leave the church?
3. What does “merhaba” mean in Turkish?
4. What did Daphne’s father say a person should do when they feel like dying?
5. On day two, how long does Daphne say she is planning to stay in Altavista?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daphne say she feels about her job?
2. How does Daphne characterize her experience going to church with Honey?
3. What is Honey’s real name, and why does Daphne call her Honey?
4. What is the crisis Honey’s injury creates in Daphne and how does she resolve it?
5. What does the goat bell in Daphne’s house remind her?
6. What work-related issue is weighing on Daphne’s mind when she walks out of work?
7. How does Daphne describe her feelings about her separation from Engin?
8. What is Daphne’s relationship with her daughter Honey like?
9. How does Daphne react when Honey injures herself at the Golden Spike?
10. What common ground does Daphne discover she and the crone share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of The Golden State. What is this book’s place in our culture? Who will find this book most useful? What are its uses? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Is this an American novel or just a regional novel bound to California and its North Country? What are the advantages and disadvantages of writing such a regional book? What does it mean for a novel to be American anyway?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways could The Golden State be considered a coming-of-age novel, or bildungsroman? What does Daphne learn from the crisis the novel describes? How does it change her? How is her life a different life by the end of Day 10?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)