|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Day 6, Pages 139-168, ending with the short paragraph that ends, “My husband always talked about, long after he was up here.”.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Daphne say she wanted to study in school?
(a) Turkish literature and art.
(b) Turkish and Arabic languages.
(c) Islamic religion.
(d) Persian history.
2. What kind of cuisine does Daphne find at The Golden Spike?
3. What is it that snaps the sexual spell for Daphne?
(a) She worries about diseases.
(b) She thinks through the consequences having sex would entail.
(c) She remembers her marriage to Engin.
(d) She realizes that people are all just ordinary repulsive people.
4. What is it that makes Daphne nervous about her laptop?
(a) It is shutting down unexpectedly.
(b) It is the Institute’s and she is nervous they will report it stolen.
(c) It needs an upgrade she cannot afford.
(d) It is running out of memory, but she cannot remove files.
5. What common ground did Daphne find with Engin when she took him to Altavista?
(a) He appreciated the people there.
(b) He understood the landscape.
(c) He missed the same things from the city.
(d) He felt the same nostalgia for the frontier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the message say, that Daphne gets once her phone has service?
2. How does Daphne characterize Engin’s relationship with Islam?
3. What causes Daphne to leave the church?
4. What does Daphne hope to find at Sal’s Café?
5. What does Daphne submit her parents’ and Ellery and Maryam’s names for?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)