Day 1, Pages 3-30
1. Who wrote the epigram for The Golden State, “Home is so sad” (1)?
(b) Philip Larkin.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
2. What is the countryside Daphne is remembering as the novel opens?
3. What kind of house does Daphne have in Altavista?
(b) Ranch house.
(d) Double-wide trailer.
4. For how many generations has the house been in Daphne’s family?
5. What time is it when Daphne walks out of work?
(b) 10 a.m.
(c) 2 p.m.
(d) 8 a.m.
6. How old is Daphne’s daughter?
(a) 16 months.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 2 1/2 years.
7. What was it that caused Daphne to sob for 30 seconds before leaving the house?
(a) Paying bills.
(b) Making breakfast.
(c) Not getting a smoke.
(d) Getting Honey dressed.
8. What does Daphne say her husband accuses her of doing when she cries?
(a) Changing the topic.
(b) Reinforcing gender stereotypes.
(c) Abdicating responsibility.
(d) Taking refuge in victimhood.
9. What do apotropaics do?
(a) Ward off fear.
(b) Tell the astrological season.
(c) Bring good luck.
(d) Bring wealth.
This section contains 4,772 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)