|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many commanders does Machiavelli advise over an army?
2. What are Machiavelli's two thoughts on fortresses?
3. Of what is Machiavelli referring when he addresses the use of deceit in managing wars?
4. What often happens to Captains who see a tactical error committed by their enemies?
5. What finally forced Phillip into battle with Fabius, according to Machiavelli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
2. Why would there be much bloodshed in the cases that a Republic moves violently from tyranny to freedom?
3. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
4. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
5. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
6. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
7. Why does Machiavelli consider sustaining an initial thrust of an enemy to be an effective strategy for winning a battle?
8. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
9. What does Machiavelli advise those who seek to change a Republic?
10. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli began his observations of war in Book 2. Find Machiavelli's views of three different ways wars benefit a Republic. Respond to his positions with your own views. Support your views with the type of historical documentation Machiavelli used to support his positions. Do not limit yourself to the history of Rome.
Essay Topic 2
Would Machiavelli want to affect how customs are down in Cities and families today? For what reasons would he want do to do so? What modern tools or institutions would he use? Be detailed in your responses and use statements from "The Discourses" to support your position on Machiavelli's motivations.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 1, Sections 21-23 Machiavelli begins a repeated focus on the role of the military in maintaining a Free Republic by focusing on making sound decisions on the cost of a military to a Republic. Identify quotes from Machiavelli that detail Machiavelli's advice on the use of resources on the military, whether or not his advice is being followed today, and what you consider to be the consequences of the current decisions regarding the modern costs of the military.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)