|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would corrupt Republics accept common deceptions?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider the public a better judge than Princes for who should occupy public offices.
3. What does Machiavelli name as the reason that good men cannot accomplish good for his country?
4. Why does Machiavelli suggest that Republics arrive to changing with the times later than individuals?
5. What does Machiavelli claim that prudent men usually say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
2. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
4. Why would there be much bloodshed in the cases that a Republic moves violently from tyranny to freedom?
5. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
6. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
7. Why does Machiavelli warn Princes from using auxiliary soldiers from another Prince?
8. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
9. What are two reasons that Machiavelli claims men have a hard time changing with the times?
10. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli advises on dealing with evil challenging a State in Book 1, Sections 33. What does Machiavelli consider evil? Support what you find as his definition with statements from all of "The Discourses". Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not? In your response give documented support from other political or moral thinkers.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli details the difference between Excellent and Weak princes in Book One, Section 19. What is your position on Machiavelli's differentiation? Provide the language from the section that helps define you view and use support from history or current events that supports your position.
Essay Topic 3
"The Discourses" were originally written as a letter to two Italian politicians at the time. Explain how that intended audience of this letter shaped the focus and tone of the text. What does Machiavelli's recommendations throughout the book say of the character of the intended audience? Give examples from the book to support your assumptions.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)