|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli advise to Princes who desire to take something from another Prince?
2. What are the two ways that Machiavelli claims that envy can be extinguished?
3. What does Machiavelli advise Princes in observing promises made under force?
4. Who was esteemed as being wise for acting foolish from Livius' history of Rome?
5. What kinds of men are frowned upon in corrupt Republics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would there be much bloodshed in the cases that a Republic moves violently from tyranny to freedom?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
4. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
5. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
6. Why does Machiavelli consider negotiating peace treaties with insurrectionists to be the most harmful method of ending conflicts in a City?
7. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
8. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
9. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
10. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli gives seemingly conflicting advice regarding changing governments in Book 1, Sections 25 and 26. Identify the differences between the two situations over which Machiavelli recommends changes and compare one example each that Machiavelli gives in the two chapters to changes in governments to two world events over the last 70 years.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Sections 45, Machiavelli warns of the harm that comes from law makers not following the laws they make. What is the support that Machiavelli gives for his position? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not? Is his warning being followed today by American Government? What have been the consequences politically, economically, and socially? Document your support.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 1, Section 50, Machiavelli details the activities of a city being halted by magistrates. Who were the magistrates? What activity was being stopped? How was the situation changed? How does Machiavelli's characterization further define his views on the purpose of government with regard to the purpose of its citizens?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)