|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of dealing with leaders of tumults that divide cities does Machiavelli favor?
2. Who does Machiavelli consider to have an advantage in battle?
3. What are the two things that Machiavelli cites as the causes of the dissolution of the Roman Republic?
4. What does Machiavelli write will prevent a bad Citizen from working evil in a Republic?
5. What does Machiavelli claim causes disunity in a Republic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider saving an army from attack to be an effective method for defending a country?
2. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
4. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
5. What are two reasons that Machiavelli claims men have a hard time changing with the times?
6. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
7. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
8. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
9. Why does Machiavelli devote his longest section of "The Discourses" to discussing conspiracy?
10. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1, Sections 45, Machiavelli warns of the harm that comes from law makers not following the laws they make. What is the support that Machiavelli gives for his position? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not? Is his warning being followed today by American Government? What have been the consequences politically, economically, and socially? Document your support.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Sections 21-23 Machiavelli begins a repeated focus on the role of the military in maintaining a Free Republic by focusing on making sound decisions on the cost of a military to a Republic. Identify quotes from Machiavelli that detail Machiavelli's advice on the use of resources on the military, whether or not his advice is being followed today, and what you consider to be the consequences of the current decisions regarding the modern costs of the military.
Essay Topic 3
"The Discourses" were originally written as a letter to two Italian politicians at the time. Explain how that intended audience of this letter shaped the focus and tone of the text. What does Machiavelli's recommendations throughout the book say of the character of the intended audience? Give examples from the book to support your assumptions.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)