|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do weak men handle changes in fortune, according to Machiavelli?
2. What does Machiavelli consider necessary to take control over a Republic to install a bad form of government over it?
3. How did Phillip of Macedonia avoid battles with Fabius Maximus?
4. What method of dealing with leaders of tumults that divide cities does Machiavelli favor?
5. What does Machiavelli consider to be necessary when restoring a Republic from a Tyranny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
2. What does Machiavelli advise those who seek to change a Republic?
3. Why does Machiavelli warn Princes from using auxiliary soldiers from another Prince?
4. Why does Machiavelli consider negotiating peace treaties with insurrectionists to be the most harmful method of ending conflicts in a City?
5. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
6. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
8. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
9. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
10. What are two reasons that Machiavelli claims men have a hard time changing with the times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli gives seemingly conflicting advice regarding changing governments in Book 1, Sections 25 and 26. Identify the differences between the two situations over which Machiavelli recommends changes and compare one example each that Machiavelli gives in the two chapters to changes in governments to two world events over the last 70 years.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli claims that the Roman Caesars did good and not harm to the Roman Republic. Why did Machiavelli make his claim? Do you agree with his assessment? Use information from research on the authority of the Roman Caesars and other statements from history to support your views.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)