Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
2. What does Machiavelli predict comes to those Republics that are changed violently.
3. To whom did Machiavelli refer to demonstrate the value of poverty on the character of leadership?
4. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
5. What are the two things that Machiavelli cites as the causes of the dissolution of the Roman Republic?
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli claims that the Roman Caesars did good and not harm to the Roman Republic. Why did Machiavelli make his claim? Do you agree with his assessment? Use information from research on the authority of the Roman Caesars and other statements from history to support your views.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Section 50, Machiavelli details the activities of a city being halted by magistrates. Who were the magistrates? What activity was being stopped? How was the situation changed? How does Machiavelli's characterization further define his views on the purpose of government with regard to the purpose of its citizens?
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli advises on dealing with evil challenging a State in Book 1, Sections 33. What does Machiavelli consider evil? Support what you find as his definition with statements from all of "The Discourses". Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not? In your response give documented support from other political or moral thinkers.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)