Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
2. What does Machiavelli predict comes to those Republics that are changed violently.
3. To whom did Machiavelli refer to demonstrate the value of poverty on the character of leadership?
4. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
5. What are the two things that Machiavelli cites as the causes of the dissolution of the Roman Republic?
Essay Topic 1
"The Discourses" were originally written as a letter to two Italian politicians at the time. Explain how that intended audience of this letter shaped the focus and tone of the text. What does Machiavelli's recommendations throughout the book say of the character of the intended audience? Give examples from the book to support your assumptions.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli advises on dealing with evil challenging a State in Book 1, Sections 33. What does Machiavelli consider evil? Support what you find as his definition with statements from all of "The Discourses". Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not? In your response give documented support from other political or moral thinkers.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli details the difference between Excellent and Weak princes in Book One, Section 19. What is your position on Machiavelli's differentiation? Provide the language from the section that helps define you view and use support from history or current events that supports your position.
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)