|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli claim causes men to conspire against their target?
2. What institution does Machiavelli cite in Chapter 46 as being responsible for producing men that are either "harsh or effeminate."
3. What has Machiavelli considered many times to be the causes of good and bad fortunes to men?
4. What does Machiavelli recommend that prudent men avoid?
5. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
2. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
3. Why does Machiavelli devote his longest section of "The Discourses" to discussing conspiracy?
4. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
5. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
6. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
7. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
8. Why would there be much bloodshed in the cases that a Republic moves violently from tyranny to freedom?
9. Why does Machiavelli consider negotiating peace treaties with insurrectionists to be the most harmful method of ending conflicts in a City?
10. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 3, Sections 14, 40, and 48, Machiavelli details the significance of using deception in battle. Compare Machiavelli's appreciation for using deception in battle to how Machiavelli recommends deception in politics to preserve the freedom of the Republic. Do you believe that Machiavelli would share you view of deceptive political practices? Why or why not? Give support for your responses with quotes from "The Discourses".
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Sections 45, Machiavelli warns of the harm that comes from law makers not following the laws they make. What is the support that Machiavelli gives for his position? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not? Is his warning being followed today by American Government? What have been the consequences politically, economically, and socially? Document your support.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli advises on dealing with evil challenging a State in Book 1, Sections 33. What does Machiavelli consider evil? Support what you find as his definition with statements from all of "The Discourses". Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not? In your response give documented support from other political or moral thinkers.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)