|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Roman historian Livius call Necessity?
2. What does Machiavelli recommend that prudent men avoid?
3. Why does Machiavelli consider men prudent for considering the proverb he cites at the beginning of Book 2, Section 49?
4. What are the two things that Machiavelli cites as the causes of the dissolution of the Roman Republic?
5. Of what is Machiavelli referring when he addresses the use of deceit in managing wars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1, Sections 45, Machiavelli warns of the harm that comes from law makers not following the laws they make. What is the support that Machiavelli gives for his position? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not? Is his warning being followed today by American Government? What have been the consequences politically, economically, and socially? Document your support.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Section 50, Machiavelli details the activities of a city being halted by magistrates. Who were the magistrates? What activity was being stopped? How was the situation changed? How does Machiavelli's characterization further define his views on the purpose of government with regard to the purpose of its citizens?
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli claims that the Roman Caesars did good and not harm to the Roman Republic. Why did Machiavelli make his claim? Do you agree with his assessment? Use information from research on the authority of the Roman Caesars and other statements from history to support your views.
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)