|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
2. According to Machiavelli, what prevented the ambitions of the Nobles from corrupting Rome?
3. What phrase could summarize what Livius' details as qualifications for an effective Captain.
4. What has Machiavelli considered many times to be the causes of good and bad fortunes to men?
5. What does Machiavelli name as the reason that good men cannot accomplish good for his country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider saving an army from attack to be an effective method for defending a country?
3. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
4. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
5. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
6. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
7. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
8. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
9. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
10. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1, Sections 45, Machiavelli warns of the harm that comes from law makers not following the laws they make. What is the support that Machiavelli gives for his position? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not? Is his warning being followed today by American Government? What have been the consequences politically, economically, and socially? Document your support.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli advises on dealing with evil challenging a State in Book 1, Sections 33. What does Machiavelli consider evil? Support what you find as his definition with statements from all of "The Discourses". Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not? In your response give documented support from other political or moral thinkers.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)