|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do weak men handle changes in fortune, according to Machiavelli?
2. How many commanders does Machiavelli advise over an army?
3. What are the two causes that will bring a corrupted Republic to take the important step of extending its life?
4. How did Phillip of Macedonia avoid battles with Fabius Maximus?
5. Why does Machiavelli believe that leaders of his time refuse to follow the examples of dealing with tumults set by leaders of ancient times.
Essay Topic 1
Would Machiavelli want to affect how customs are down in Cities and families today? For what reasons would he want do to do so? What modern tools or institutions would he use? Be detailed in your responses and use statements from "The Discourses" to support your position on Machiavelli's motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli advises on dealing with evil challenging a State in Book 1, Sections 33. What does Machiavelli consider evil? Support what you find as his definition with statements from all of "The Discourses". Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not? In your response give documented support from other political or moral thinkers.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 1, Section 50, Machiavelli details the activities of a city being halted by magistrates. Who were the magistrates? What activity was being stopped? How was the situation changed? How does Machiavelli's characterization further define his views on the purpose of government with regard to the purpose of its citizens?
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)