|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do weak men handle changes in fortune, according to Machiavelli?
2. How many commanders does Machiavelli advise over an army?
3. What does Machiavelli consider one of the most important reasons the Roman Empire was successful in expanding its borders?
4. What does Machiavelli name as the reason that good men cannot accomplish good for his country?
5. What does Machiavelli predict will come of corrupted Republics if they do not take the important step of extending its life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
2. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
3. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
4. Why did "Captains of Fortune" favor cavalry over infantry?
5. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
6. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
7. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
8. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
9. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
10. Why does Machiavelli warn Princes from using auxiliary soldiers from another Prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Machiavelli's characterization of evil against the state and the benefits of the powers of the Roman Caesars, he provides a perspective that defines his view of government and freedom. What is that view? Does it match what you have been taught regarding both and does Machiavelli and what you have learned up to this point match your personal views on government and freedom? Define the similarities and the differences and use documented support from both the book and your educational experiences to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote during the Italian Renaissance. Identify two notable events or phenomena from the Italian Renaissance and relate content from "The Discourses" that either might have been a response to or a motivation for them.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)