|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli claim that prudent men usually say?
2. When does Machiavelli advise Captains to try new things?
3. What institution does Machiavelli cite in Chapter 46 as being responsible for producing men that are either "harsh or effeminate."
4. Why does Machiavelli consider the public a better judge than Princes for who should occupy public offices.
5. According to Machiavelli, if men have prospered greatly by one procedure, what is not possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
2. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
3. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
4. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
5. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
6. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
7. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
8. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
9. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
10. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Book 2, Machiavelli begins investigating what he considers to be virtuous touches on "virtu" throughout the rest of "The Discourses". Find two characterizations of what Machiavelli considers "virtu" with which you agree and two with which you do not. Explain your positions in each case and give examples of how your choices have been proven through history.
Essay Topic 3
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote during the Italian Renaissance. Identify two notable events or phenomena from the Italian Renaissance and relate content from "The Discourses" that either might have been a response to or a motivation for them.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)