|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli believe the Roman Republic grew?
2. How does Machiavelli advise a Captain to consider a tactical error by an enemy?
3. What often happens to Captains who see a tactical error committed by their enemies?
4. Why does Machiavelli consider the public a better judge than Princes for who should occupy public offices.
5. According to Machiavelli, what prevented the ambitions of the Nobles from corrupting Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider negotiating peace treaties with insurrectionists to be the most harmful method of ending conflicts in a City?
2. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
3. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
4. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
5. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
6. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
7. What is the advice that Machiavelli gives to Princes who take possessions from another Prince?
8. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
9. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
10. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would Machiavelli want to affect how customs are down in Cities and families today? For what reasons would he want do to do so? What modern tools or institutions would he use? Be detailed in your responses and use statements from "The Discourses" to support your position on Machiavelli's motivations.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Sections 21-23 Machiavelli begins a repeated focus on the role of the military in maintaining a Free Republic by focusing on making sound decisions on the cost of a military to a Republic. Identify quotes from Machiavelli that detail Machiavelli's advice on the use of resources on the military, whether or not his advice is being followed today, and what you consider to be the consequences of the current decisions regarding the modern costs of the military.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)