|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli believe comes to a good army without a good Captain?
2. What are the two ways that Republics are altered that Machiavelli examines?
3. Who does Machiavelli consider to have an advantage in battle?
4. Why does Machiavelli consider men prudent for considering the proverb he cites at the beginning of Book 2, Section 49?
5. What does Machiavelli write will prevent a bad Citizen from working evil in a Republic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did "Captains of Fortune" favor cavalry over infantry?
2. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
3. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
4. What is the advice that Machiavelli gives to Princes who take possessions from another Prince?
5. Why does Machiavelli consider negotiating peace treaties with insurrectionists to be the most harmful method of ending conflicts in a City?
6. Why does Machiavelli devote his longest section of "The Discourses" to discussing conspiracy?
7. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
8. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
9. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
10. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli details the difference between Excellent and Weak princes in Book One, Section 19. What is your position on Machiavelli's differentiation? Provide the language from the section that helps define you view and use support from history or current events that supports your position.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli gives seemingly conflicting advice regarding changing governments in Book 1, Sections 25 and 26. Identify the differences between the two situations over which Machiavelli recommends changes and compare one example each that Machiavelli gives in the two chapters to changes in governments to two world events over the last 70 years.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Book 2, Machiavelli begins investigating what he considers to be virtuous touches on "virtu" throughout the rest of "The Discourses". Find two characterizations of what Machiavelli considers "virtu" with which you agree and two with which you do not. Explain your positions in each case and give examples of how your choices have been proven through history.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)