Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machiavelli credit with protecting Rome from the ambitions of the Tribunes?
2. What does Machiavelli predict comes to those Republics that are changed violently.
3. To whom did Machiavelli refer to demonstrate the value of poverty on the character of leadership?
4. What does Machiavelli claim happens to great men in times of peace?
5. What are the two things that Machiavelli cites as the causes of the dissolution of the Roman Republic?
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
Machiavelli advises on dealing with evil challenging a State in Book 1, Sections 33. What does Machiavelli consider evil? Support what you find as his definition with statements from all of "The Discourses". Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not? In your response give documented support from other political or moral thinkers.
In Book 3, Sections 14, 40, and 48, Machiavelli details the significance of using deception in battle. Compare Machiavelli's appreciation for using deception in battle to how Machiavelli recommends deception in politics to preserve the freedom of the Republic. Do you believe that Machiavelli would share you view of deceptive political practices? Why or why not? Give support for your responses with quotes from "The Discourses".
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)