|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Machiavelli believe a Republic must be organized?
2. What method of dealing with leaders of tumults that divide cities does Machiavelli favor?
3. Who were the two Roman Consuls whose tactics Machiavelli compares as an example of how Princes can take what belongs to another?
4. What does Machiavelli consider to be necessary when restoring a Republic from a Tyranny?
5. What institution does Machiavelli cite in Chapter 46 as being responsible for producing men that are either "harsh or effeminate."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
2. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
3. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
4. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
5. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
6. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
8. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
9. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
10. What are two remedies that Machiavelli recommends in Book Three, section16 to prevent a City from becoming corrupted by periods of peace and wealth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1, Sections 45, Machiavelli warns of the harm that comes from law makers not following the laws they make. What is the support that Machiavelli gives for his position? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not? Is his warning being followed today by American Government? What have been the consequences politically, economically, and socially? Document your support.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Section 46, Machiavelli applauds the Roman Plebs for having the wisdom not to elect Plebs to the position of Tribunes. Then in Book 1, Section 47 he applauds the Nobles for the methods they used to manage the decision of the Plebs. How does the context of Machiavelli's report in the two chapters form your opinion of Machiavelli's character, his views of freedom, and his views on corruption? Do you agree with Machiavelli's positions in the two chapters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote during the Italian Renaissance. Identify two notable events or phenomena from the Italian Renaissance and relate content from "The Discourses" that either might have been a response to or a motivation for them.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)