|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli claim comes to those Republics that are changed through the general public?
2. How does Machiavelli advise a Captain to consider a tactical error by an enemy?
3. Why does Machiavelli suggest that Republics arrive to changing with the times later than individuals?
4. In what cases does Machiavelli endorse acting foolishly?
5. What has Machiavelli considered many times to be the causes of good and bad fortunes to men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
3. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
4. Why does Machiavelli consider towns more difficult to conquer after the Citizens have been in rebellion?
5. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
6. Why would there be much bloodshed in the cases that a Republic moves violently from tyranny to freedom?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider sustaining an initial thrust of an enemy to be an effective strategy for winning a battle?
8. What does Machiavelli advise those who seek to change a Republic?
9. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
10. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli gives seemingly conflicting advice regarding changing governments in Book 1, Sections 25 and 26. Identify the differences between the two situations over which Machiavelli recommends changes and compare one example each that Machiavelli gives in the two chapters to changes in governments to two world events over the last 70 years.
Essay Topic 2
"The Discourses" were originally written as a letter to two Italian politicians at the time. Explain how that intended audience of this letter shaped the focus and tone of the text. What does Machiavelli's recommendations throughout the book say of the character of the intended audience? Give examples from the book to support your assumptions.
Essay Topic 3
Would Machiavelli want to affect how customs are down in Cities and families today? For what reasons would he want do to do so? What modern tools or institutions would he use? Be detailed in your responses and use statements from "The Discourses" to support your position on Machiavelli's motivations.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)