|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli identify as the three divisions of armies of his day?
2. In what cases does Machiavelli endorse acting foolishly?
3. What does Machiavelli name as the reason that good men cannot accomplish good for his country?
4. What knowledge is necessary for a Captain to be successful?
5. What does Machiavelli believe comes to a good army without a good Captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would there be much bloodshed in the cases that a Republic moves violently from tyranny to freedom?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider sustaining an initial thrust of an enemy to be an effective strategy for winning a battle?
3. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
4. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
5. Why does Machiavelli consider towns more difficult to conquer after the Citizens have been in rebellion?
6. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
7. What are two reasons that Machiavelli claims men have a hard time changing with the times?
8. Why does Machiavelli consider negotiating peace treaties with insurrectionists to be the most harmful method of ending conflicts in a City?
9. What does Machiavelli advise those who seek to change a Republic?
10. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Niccolo Machiavelli wrote during the Italian Renaissance. Identify two notable events or phenomena from the Italian Renaissance and relate content from "The Discourses" that either might have been a response to or a motivation for them.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 3, Sections 43 and 46, Machiavelli details how customs are handed down in Cities and through families. Give examples from your personal experiences that support statements from the two chapters. If Machiavelli was alive today, how would he evaluate the qualities of customs that are handed down in modern American Cities and families? Use statements from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 1, Sections 21-23 Machiavelli begins a repeated focus on the role of the military in maintaining a Free Republic by focusing on making sound decisions on the cost of a military to a Republic. Identify quotes from Machiavelli that detail Machiavelli's advice on the use of resources on the military, whether or not his advice is being followed today, and what you consider to be the consequences of the current decisions regarding the modern costs of the military.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)