|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli consider one of the most important reasons the Roman Empire was successful in expanding its borders?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider men prudent for considering the proverb he cites at the beginning of Book 2, Section 49?
3. Against whom are conspiracies made?
4. Of what is Machiavelli critical regarding the military tactics of his day?
5. What does Machiavelli claim causes men to conspire against their target?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
2. Why does Machiavelli warn Princes from using auxiliary soldiers from another Prince?
3. What were the two evils that Machiavelli claims came to Rome as its Empire grew in geographical size?
4. Why does Machiavelli consider impetuosity and audacity to often be successful for a Prince to take a province that belongs to another Prince?
5. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
6. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider towns more difficult to conquer after the Citizens have been in rebellion?
8. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
9. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
10. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
Essay Topic 2
In Book 3, Sections 43 and 46, Machiavelli details how customs are handed down in Cities and through families. Give examples from your personal experiences that support statements from the two chapters. If Machiavelli was alive today, how would he evaluate the qualities of customs that are handed down in modern American Cities and families? Use statements from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Would Machiavelli want to affect how customs are down in Cities and families today? For what reasons would he want do to do so? What modern tools or institutions would he use? Be detailed in your responses and use statements from "The Discourses" to support your position on Machiavelli's motivations.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)