|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Machiavelli, why did Livius believe the Roman Republic grew?
2. What, according to Machiavelli, determines whether or not a Republic falls into tyranny.
3. What is the proverb that Machiavelli reports the Samnites used on the Tuscans to encourage them to make war on the Roman Empire?
4. What knowledge is necessary for a Captain to be successful?
5. What does Machiavelli claim that prudent men usually say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli believe is the consequence of insulting anyone with words?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider towns more difficult to conquer after the Citizens have been in rebellion?
3. What are some of methods that Machiavelli identifies that Citizens use to earn private honors?
4. Why doesn't Machiavelli expect promises made under force to be kept?
5. Why does Machiavelli believe, "that men born in a province observe for all time almost the same natures (Book 3, Section 43)?"
6. Why did "Captains of Fortune" favor cavalry over infantry?
7. Why does Machiavelli devote his longest section of "The Discourses" to discussing conspiracy?
8. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
9. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
10. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
Essay Topic 2
Would Machiavelli want to affect how customs are down in Cities and families today? For what reasons would he want do to do so? What modern tools or institutions would he use? Be detailed in your responses and use statements from "The Discourses" to support your position on Machiavelli's motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli details the difference between Excellent and Weak princes in Book One, Section 19. What is your position on Machiavelli's differentiation? Provide the language from the section that helps define you view and use support from history or current events that supports your position.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)