|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, Section 1, what does Machiavelli declare to be, "...a most true thing...."
2. How does the institution that makes men "harsh or effeminate" influence them, according to Machiavelli?
3. When does Machiavelli advise Captains to try new things?
4. What were the results for the two Roman Consuls in Machiavelli's illustration?
5. What type of person does Machiavelli advise against promoting to important positions in a Republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli details the difference between Excellent and Weak princes in Book One, Section 19. What is your position on Machiavelli's differentiation? Provide the language from the section that helps define you view and use support from history or current events that supports your position.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli gives seemingly conflicting advice regarding changing governments in Book 1, Sections 25 and 26. Identify the differences between the two situations over which Machiavelli recommends changes and compare one example each that Machiavelli gives in the two chapters to changes in governments to two world events over the last 70 years.
This section contains 1,488 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)