|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Machiavelli identify as the cause of conspiracy against a hereditary Princes?
2. What did Machiavelli suggest is the advantage of settling in areas that were "sterile" (barren)?
3. What is Machiavelli's conclusion regarding how someone can establish a Republic where there is great equality?
4. Of what should Princes be most ashamed in Machiavelli's view?
5. How did Roman soldiers provide for themselves before the Senate decided to pay them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli advise that a Prince "temporize" a perceived evil in his State?
2. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
3. What kind of Prince does Machiavelli consider to be Excellent?
4. What are the three types of state that Machiavelli detailed and by what name are they known today?
5. Why does Machiavelli recommend to leaders of a Republic to keep a shadow of the institutions that are being reformed?
6. What does Machiavelli claim proves the Romans' love for liberty?
7. What does Machiavelli mean when he advises that evil in a State be "temporized"?
8. What does Machiavelli claim to be the practice of writers of history who, "...so obey the fortune of the winners...?"
9. What acts by governing officials does Machiavelli consider "pernicious" or damaging to the authority of the government?
10. What two methods did Machiavelli identify that Roman Nobility drew honor from the Plebes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 3, Sections 43 and 46, Machiavelli details how customs are handed down in Cities and through families. Give examples from your personal experiences that support statements from the two chapters. If Machiavelli was alive today, how would he evaluate the qualities of customs that are handed down in modern American Cities and families? Use statements from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Sections 21-23 Machiavelli begins a repeated focus on the role of the military in maintaining a Free Republic by focusing on making sound decisions on the cost of a military to a Republic. Identify quotes from Machiavelli that detail Machiavelli's advice on the use of resources on the military, whether or not his advice is being followed today, and what you consider to be the consequences of the current decisions regarding the modern costs of the military.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Machiavelli's favored tactic of forming military divisions for the purpose of absorbing an enemy's initial thrust to the tactic that is known as "Blitzkrieg". Using the American occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan as modern examples of how both are used, as well as the history of Rome and the regime that depended on "Blitzkrieg", give your views on which tactic is more successful.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)