|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What support did Machiavelli use for his view of what he considers to be the worst example provided by leaders?
2. Why does Machiavelli suggest wars should be quick with limited damage to the conquered City?
3. What was a rival Empire to Rome as Rome began its expansion?
4. Reviewing earlier chapters of "The Discourses", why would Machiavelli consider long wars in foreign lands important?
5. What was the inspiration for Machiavelli's "The Discourses"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli consider defending an army with fortifications useless with the artillery that was new to his day?
2. What does Machiavelli mean when he advises that evil in a State be "temporized"?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three methods of reuniting a City that has been divided?
4. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
5. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
6. Why does Machiavelli consider sustaining an initial thrust of an enemy to be an effective strategy for winning a battle?
7. Why did Machiavelli consider the naming of a Caesar (dictator) over Rome was beneficial to the Empire?
8. What does Machiavelli write of in Book Three, Section 14 when he reviews, "...new inventions and new voices...," and why does he recommend these to be used in the heat of battle?
9. What examples from history does Machiavelli claim offers guidance to leaders?
10. What are the reasons that Machiavelli gives for people who leave their home country for another out of necessity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli claims that the Roman Caesars did good and not harm to the Roman Republic. Why did Machiavelli make his claim? Do you agree with his assessment? Use information from research on the authority of the Roman Caesars and other statements from history to support your views.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 1, Section 46, Machiavelli applauds the Roman Plebs for having the wisdom not to elect Plebs to the position of Tribunes. Then in Book 1, Section 47 he applauds the Nobles for the methods they used to manage the decision of the Plebs. How does the context of Machiavelli's report in the two chapters form your opinion of Machiavelli's character, his views of freedom, and his views on corruption? Do you agree with Machiavelli's positions in the two chapters? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,012 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)