|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Machiavelli, what type of people seek what office to cause a city to become corrupt?
2. What does Machiavelli consider to be the means of someone rising from the bottom to gain a great fortune?
3. Based upon Machiavelli's details, for whose benefit were the "demonstrations made to the benefit" of Plebes devoted?
4. What does Machiavelli believe inspired the expansion of the Roman Empire?
5. What did Machiavelli establish as the cycle of governing forms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli report that the Roman Senate decided to pay a public stipend to the soldiers in the army?
2. Why does Machiavelli disagree with Plutarch's claim that Rome acquired its Empire more by good Fortune than by Virtu?
3. What acts by governing officials does Machiavelli consider "pernicious" or damaging to the authority of the government?
4. Why does Machiavelli advise that a Prince "temporize" a perceived evil in his State?
5. What are the two reasons that Machiavelli gives for his opinion that the courts (Faculty of Accusing) are the most necessary and useful authority to guard liberty in a City?
6. What two methods did Machiavelli identify that Roman Nobility drew honor from the Plebes?
7. What examples from history does Machiavelli claim offers guidance to leaders?
8. What does Machiavelli mean when he advises that evil in a State be "temporized"?
9. Why did Machiavelli consider the naming of a Caesar (dictator) over Rome was beneficial to the Empire?
10. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 3, Sections 31 and 33, Machiavelli examines the type of individual character that contributes to strong Republics and military victory. What is your view on the Machiavelli's principles regarding consistent character through favorable times and bad? On what points do you agree with the character qualities he calls "virtu" and those which he criticizes? What character qualities would you add or replace with what he calls "virtu"? Why would you make such changes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Machiavelli's favored tactic of forming military divisions for the purpose of absorbing an enemy's initial thrust to the tactic that is known as "Blitzkrieg". Using the American occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan as modern examples of how both are used, as well as the history of Rome and the regime that depended on "Blitzkrieg", give your views on which tactic is more successful.
Essay Topic 3
In Machiavelli's characterization of evil against the state and the benefits of the powers of the Roman Caesars, he provides a perspective that defines his view of government and freedom. What is that view? Does it match what you have been taught regarding both and does Machiavelli and what you have learned up to this point match your personal views on government and freedom? Define the similarities and the differences and use documented support from both the book and your educational experiences to support your position.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)