|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based upon Machiavelli's details, for whose benefit were the "demonstrations made to the benefit" of Plebes devoted?
2. What does Machiavelli suggest as the intention to make war?
3. What are the two important items that Machiavelli considers to be unwise for a Prince to put entirely into peril?
4. What do fertile areas offer to those who settle there according to Machiavelli?
5. Why does Machiavelli claim these forms of government developed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli recommend that any organization maintain itself by frequently renewing its founding principals?
2. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
3. In the title of Book 1, Section 8, what does Machiavelli mean with the phrase, "...so much so calumnies are pernicious...?"
4. Why does Machiavelli in Section 28 recommend that Citizens be allowed to obtain honors through public means, but prevented from seeking honors through private means?
5. How does Machiavelli explain that a City grows either through love or through force?
6. What does Machiavelli consider to be the purpose of expanding an Empire and why must a Prince be well organized in expanding it properly?
7. Why did Machiavelli consider the naming of a Caesar (dictator) over Rome was beneficial to the Empire?
8. What are the two reasons that Machiavelli gives for his opinion that the courts (Faculty of Accusing) are the most necessary and useful authority to guard liberty in a City?
9. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
10. Why does Machiavelli consider sustaining an initial thrust of an enemy to be an effective strategy for winning a battle?
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli gives seemingly conflicting advice regarding changing governments in Book 1, Sections 25 and 26. Identify the differences between the two situations over which Machiavelli recommends changes and compare one example each that Machiavelli gives in the two chapters to changes in governments to two world events over the last 70 years.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 3, Sections 43 and 46, Machiavelli details how customs are handed down in Cities and through families. Give examples from your personal experiences that support statements from the two chapters. If Machiavelli was alive today, how would he evaluate the qualities of customs that are handed down in modern American Cities and families? Use statements from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
This section contains 2,108 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)