|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two important items that Machiavelli considers to be unwise for a Prince to put entirely into peril?
2. In Book 1, Section 37, what does Machiavelli claim to be the foundation of well-ordered Republics?
3. What does Machiavelli consider prudence in a Prince or a King?
4. What can be inferred of Machiavelli's idea of virtue from reading the review of the first three kings of Rome as he begins his discourse of weak Princes and excellent Princes?
5. What was the inspiration for Machiavelli's "The Discourses"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
2. When Machiavelli uses the word "esteemed" in reference to artillery and infantry, what does he mean?
3. Why does Machiavelli consider sustaining an initial thrust of an enemy to be an effective strategy for winning a battle?
4. What does Machiavelli claim proves the Romans' love for liberty?
5. Why does Machiavelli consider saving an army from attack to be an effective method for defending a country?
6. Why should a Prince measure his forces and govern by his decisions based upon them before he enters a war?
7. What are two points that you can take from Book Three, Section 13 to suggest that Machiavelli believes that it is better for a Prince to have a strong army badly captained rather than a bad army strongly captained?
8. Why does Machiavelli recommend to avoid appointing anyone who has been offended to an important position in government?
9. Why does Machiavelli report that the Roman Senate decided to pay a public stipend to the soldiers in the army?
10. What is the advice that Machiavelli gives to Princes who take possessions from another Prince?
Essay Topic 1
Would Machiavelli want to affect how customs are down in Cities and families today? For what reasons would he want do to do so? What modern tools or institutions would he use? Be detailed in your responses and use statements from "The Discourses" to support your position on Machiavelli's motivations.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 3, Sections 31 and 33, Machiavelli examines the type of individual character that contributes to strong Republics and military victory. What is your view on the Machiavelli's principles regarding consistent character through favorable times and bad? On what points do you agree with the character qualities he calls "virtu" and those which he criticizes? What character qualities would you add or replace with what he calls "virtu"? Why would you make such changes?
Essay Topic 3
In Book 1, Sections 21-23 Machiavelli begins a repeated focus on the role of the military in maintaining a Free Republic by focusing on making sound decisions on the cost of a military to a Republic. Identify quotes from Machiavelli that detail Machiavelli's advice on the use of resources on the military, whether or not his advice is being followed today, and what you consider to be the consequences of the current decisions regarding the modern costs of the military.
This section contains 2,101 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)