|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main point Machiavelli investigates as he prepares to discuss the affects of strong Princes and weak Princes?
2. Based upon Machiavelli's details, for whose benefit were the "demonstrations made to the benefit" of Plebes devoted?
3. In Book 1, Section 37, what does Machiavelli claim to be the foundation of well-ordered Republics?
4. How did Machiavelli report that the Nobles controlled the process of Plebes having the opportunity to choose Plebes for four Tribunes?
5. According to Machiavelli, how did the Nobles of Rome attempt to correct the limit on the wealth that was placed on them by Agrarian Laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two reasons that Machiavelli gives for his opinion that the courts (Faculty of Accusing) are the most necessary and useful authority to guard liberty in a City?
2. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
3. Why did Machiavelli consider the naming of a Caesar (dictator) over Rome was beneficial to the Empire?
4. What are the reasons that Machiavelli gives for people who leave their home country for another out of necessity?
5. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
6. What does Machiavelli recommend to a Prince about reform of a city or a province that he has taken?
7. Why does Machiavelli consider a Citizen rising to take authority through irregular means (popular uprising) harmful in a Republic?
8. To what is Machiavelli referring when he writes of men jumping, "...from one ambition to another?"
9. Why does Machiavelli report that the Roman Senate decided to pay a public stipend to the soldiers in the army?
10. What does Machiavelli mean when he advises that evil in a State be "temporized"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli claims that the Roman Caesars did good and not harm to the Roman Republic. Why did Machiavelli make his claim? Do you agree with his assessment? Use information from research on the authority of the Roman Caesars and other statements from history to support your views.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Sections 45, Machiavelli warns of the harm that comes from law makers not following the laws they make. What is the support that Machiavelli gives for his position? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not? Is his warning being followed today by American Government? What have been the consequences politically, economically, and socially? Document your support.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 3, Sections 14, 40, and 48, Machiavelli details the significance of using deception in battle. Compare Machiavelli's appreciation for using deception in battle to how Machiavelli recommends deception in politics to preserve the freedom of the Republic. Do you believe that Machiavelli would share you view of deceptive political practices? Why or why not? Give support for your responses with quotes from "The Discourses".
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)