|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three ways a Republic can expand that Machiavelli recognized?
2. Through what means does Machiavelli suggest that a City can achieve what he considers greatness?
3. What does Machiavelli predict will come to Republics that do not provide for dictatorships or powerful authorities in times of urgent perils?
4. What is a Prince as Machiavelli uses the term?
5. What are two reasons Machiavelli gives for foreign forces building a city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples from history does Machiavelli claim offers guidance to leaders?
2. What acts by governing officials does Machiavelli consider "pernicious" or damaging to the authority of the government?
3. Why does Machiavelli recommend to leaders of a Republic to keep a shadow of the institutions that are being reformed?
4. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
5. Why does Machiavelli challenge Cities to punish citizens with respected reputations when they commit wrong acts?
6. Why does Machiavelli advise that a Prince "temporize" a perceived evil in his State?
7. What two methods did Machiavelli identify that Roman Nobility drew honor from the Plebes?
8. What are the three types of state that Machiavelli detailed and by what name are they known today?
9. Why did Machiavelli consider the naming of a Caesar (dictator) over Rome was beneficial to the Empire?
10. What kind of Prince does Machiavelli consider to be weak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1, Section 46, Machiavelli applauds the Roman Plebs for having the wisdom not to elect Plebs to the position of Tribunes. Then in Book 1, Section 47 he applauds the Nobles for the methods they used to manage the decision of the Plebs. How does the context of Machiavelli's report in the two chapters form your opinion of Machiavelli's character, his views of freedom, and his views on corruption? Do you agree with Machiavelli's positions in the two chapters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli claims that the Roman Caesars did good and not harm to the Roman Republic. Why did Machiavelli make his claim? Do you agree with his assessment? Use information from research on the authority of the Roman Caesars and other statements from history to support your views.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 3, Sections 14, 40, and 48, Machiavelli details the significance of using deception in battle. Compare Machiavelli's appreciation for using deception in battle to how Machiavelli recommends deception in politics to preserve the freedom of the Republic. Do you believe that Machiavelli would share you view of deceptive political practices? Why or why not? Give support for your responses with quotes from "The Discourses".
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)