|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli suggest causes corruption?
2. What support did Machiavelli use for his view of what he considers to be the worst example provided by leaders?
3. According to Machiavelli, what type of people seek what office to cause a city to become corrupt?
4. In Book 1, Section 37, what does Machiavelli claim to be the foundation of well-ordered Republics?
5. How does Machiavelli suggest that Princes and other leaders deal with acts that offend their citizens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should a Prince measure his forces and govern by his decisions based upon them before he enters a war?
2. What kind of Prince does Machiavelli consider to be weak?
3. What are the reasons that Machiavelli gives for people who leave their home country for another out of necessity?
4. Why does Machiavelli disagree with Plutarch's claim that Rome acquired its Empire more by good Fortune than by Virtu?
5. Why does Machiavelli challenge Cities to punish citizens with respected reputations when they commit wrong acts?
6. What does Machiavelli consider to be the worst example that can be committed in a Republic?
7. What are the three types of state that Machiavelli detailed and by what name are they known today?
8. Why does Machiavelli report that the Roman Senate decided to pay a public stipend to the soldiers in the army?
9. To what is Machiavelli referring when he writes of men jumping, "...from one ambition to another?"
10. Why does Machiavelli consider a Citizen rising to take authority through irregular means (popular uprising) harmful in a Republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli claims that the Roman Caesars did good and not harm to the Roman Republic. Why did Machiavelli make his claim? Do you agree with his assessment? Use information from research on the authority of the Roman Caesars and other statements from history to support your views.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)