|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli consider to be the worst example to be provided by leaders in a Republic?
2. Why does Machiavelli recommend that those who want to reform a city should retain the appearance of the institutions they want to reform?
3. What does Machiavelli consider prudence in a Prince or a King?
4. What does Machiavelli suggest causes corruption?
5. According to Machiavelli, how did the Nobles of Rome attempt to correct the limit on the wealth that was placed on them by Agrarian Laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of Prince does Machiavelli consider to be Excellent?
2. Why does Machiavelli consider a Citizen rising to take authority through irregular means (popular uprising) harmful in a Republic?
3. Why should a Prince measure his forces and govern by his decisions based upon them before he enters a war?
4. Why does Machiavelli believe that people who break away from the rule of a Prince have difficulty keeping their freedom?
5. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
6. What are the reasons that Machiavelli gives for people who leave their home country for another out of necessity?
7. Why were the Plebe candidates not suited for the open positions of the Tribunes?
8. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
9. What two methods did Machiavelli identify that Roman Nobility drew honor from the Plebes?
10. What does Machiavelli consider to be the worst example that can be committed in a Republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1, Section 46, Machiavelli applauds the Roman Plebs for having the wisdom not to elect Plebs to the position of Tribunes. Then in Book 1, Section 47 he applauds the Nobles for the methods they used to manage the decision of the Plebs. How does the context of Machiavelli's report in the two chapters form your opinion of Machiavelli's character, his views of freedom, and his views on corruption? Do you agree with Machiavelli's positions in the two chapters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Book 3, Sections 43 and 46, Machiavelli details how customs are handed down in Cities and through families. Give examples from your personal experiences that support statements from the two chapters. If Machiavelli was alive today, how would he evaluate the qualities of customs that are handed down in modern American Cities and families? Use statements from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli is critical of ambition in Book 1, Section 46. Do you agree with Machiavelli's criticisms? Why or why not? What is your view of ambition and how does individual freedom affect ambition?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)