|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli claim these forms of government developed?
2. What does Machiavelli recommend to a City that is unable to defend itself, but wants to be protected from anyone who would attack it?
3. Who were the Decemvirs?
4. What is another method that Machiavelli reports leaders use to offend their citizens?
5. What does "Crescit interea Roma Albae ruinis" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli believe that people who break away from the rule of a Prince have difficulty keeping their freedom?
2. What does Machiavelli mean when he uses the term "virtu" for a Prince?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend to a Prince about reform of a city or a province that he has taken?
4. What does Machiavelli claim proves the Romans' love for liberty?
5. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
6. How does Machiavelli explain that a City grows either through love or through force?
7. Why were the Plebe candidates not suited for the open positions of the Tribunes?
8. Why did Machiavelli consider the naming of a Caesar (dictator) over Rome was beneficial to the Empire?
9. What are the three types of state that Machiavelli detailed and by what name are they known today?
10. Why did Machiavelli praise the Plebes for refusing to choose their peers for Tribunes for which the Nobility allowed Plebes candidacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 3, Sections 43 and 46, Machiavelli details how customs are handed down in Cities and through families. Give examples from your personal experiences that support statements from the two chapters. If Machiavelli was alive today, how would he evaluate the qualities of customs that are handed down in modern American Cities and families? Use statements from the book to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Machiavelli's favored tactic of forming military divisions for the purpose of absorbing an enemy's initial thrust to the tactic that is known as "Blitzkrieg". Using the American occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan as modern examples of how both are used, as well as the history of Rome and the regime that depended on "Blitzkrieg", give your views on which tactic is more successful.
Essay Topic 3
Machiavelli began his observations of war in Book 2. Find Machiavelli's views of three different ways wars benefit a Republic. Respond to his positions with your own views. Support your views with the type of historical documentation Machiavelli used to support his positions. Do not limit yourself to the history of Rome.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)