|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli suggest wars should be quick with limited damage to the conquered City?
2. What is an obvious counterpoint to Machiavelli's assertion to the benefits of the power of the Caesars to the Roman Empire?
3. What does Machiavelli believe will come of agreements made by force?
4. What, according to Machiavelli in Book , 1 Section 38, is the fate of irresolute Republics?
5. What are the two important items that Machiavelli considers to be unwise for a Prince to put entirely into peril?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of Prince does Machiavelli consider to be weak?
2. Why does Machiavelli advise that a Prince "temporize" a perceived evil in his State?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend to a Prince about reform of a city or a province that he has taken?
4. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
5. What are the three types of state that Machiavelli detailed and by what name are they known today?
6. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
7. What kind of Prince does Machiavelli consider to be Excellent?
8. Why did Machiavelli consider the naming of a Caesar (dictator) over Rome was beneficial to the Empire?
9. What two methods did Machiavelli identify that Roman Nobility drew honor from the Plebes?
10. Why does Machiavelli challenge Cities to punish citizens with respected reputations when they commit wrong acts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1, Section 50, Machiavelli details the activities of a city being halted by magistrates. Who were the magistrates? What activity was being stopped? How was the situation changed? How does Machiavelli's characterization further define his views on the purpose of government with regard to the purpose of its citizens?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Machiavelli's favored tactic of forming military divisions for the purpose of absorbing an enemy's initial thrust to the tactic that is known as "Blitzkrieg". Using the American occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan as modern examples of how both are used, as well as the history of Rome and the regime that depended on "Blitzkrieg", give your views on which tactic is more successful.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)