|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli consider to be the means of someone rising from the bottom to gain a great fortune?
2. What does Machiavelli believe will come of agreements made by force?
3. What are reasons Machiavelli cited for a group of people leaving their native country to seek a new home?
4. How does Machiavelli suggest that Princes and other leaders deal with acts that offend their citizens?
5. Through what means does Machiavelli suggest that a City can achieve what he considers greatness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli consider to be the worst example that can be committed in a Republic?
2. Why were the Plebe candidates not suited for the open positions of the Tribunes?
3. Why does Machiavelli recommend to leaders of a Republic to keep a shadow of the institutions that are being reformed?
4. What does Machiavelli mean when he uses the term "virtu" for a Prince?
5. Why does Machiavelli consider a Citizen rising to take authority through irregular means (popular uprising) harmful in a Republic?
6. Why did Machiavelli praise the Plebes for refusing to choose their peers for Tribunes for which the Nobility allowed Plebes candidacy?
7. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
8. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
9. What are the three types of state that Machiavelli detailed and by what name are they known today?
10. Why should a Prince measure his forces and govern by his decisions based upon them before he enters a war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Machiavelli used history of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire to develop much of his support for his positions. What are the dates of the existence of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire, what differences in the forms of government between the two, and what brought the passage of the Republic to the Empire.
Essay Topic 2
Machiavelli details the difference between Excellent and Weak princes in Book One, Section 19. What is your position on Machiavelli's differentiation? Provide the language from the section that helps define you view and use support from history or current events that supports your position.
Essay Topic 3
In Book 1, Section 50, Machiavelli details the activities of a city being halted by magistrates. Who were the magistrates? What activity was being stopped? How was the situation changed? How does Machiavelli's characterization further define his views on the purpose of government with regard to the purpose of its citizens?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)