|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli identify as the easiest way to "...ruin a Republic where the People have authority...."
(a) For the Nobles to promote corrupted Citizens in elections.
(b) For Nobles to cultivate rivalries between partisans among the People.
(c) Involve them in a brave enterprise.
(d) Cause them to distribute wealth.
2. What do fertile areas offer to those who settle there according to Machiavelli?
(a) The ability to affect the economy of sterile areas.
(b) Resources that will sustain a growing population.
(c) Raw materials that can be sent to sterile areas for manufacturing and refinement.
(d) The means by which a city can grow and have the ability to defend themselves.
3. Of what should Princes be most ashamed in Machiavelli's view?
(a) Lacking their own soldiers for defense and offense.
(b) Consuming his wealth in debauchery.
(c) Being discovered to be self-absorbed and not devoted to building the strength of their cities.
(d) Missing opportunities to conquer other cities.
4. What does Machiavelli claim will make a City great?
(a) Many inhabitants.
(b) Many soldiers.
(c) Many industries.
(d) Many administrators.
5. According to Machiavelli, what is the first thing that Citizens seek when starting on the path of chasing their ambitions?
(a) The support of a wealthy Noble.
(b) Means to win access to public office.
(c) Not to be harmed by citizens or magistrates.
(d) A cause that will incite the passions of the general masses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Machiavelli announce as the purpose of Book Two of "The Discourses" in the preface?
2. What was the inspiration for Machiavelli's "The Discourses"?
3. How does Machiavelli expect a city can keep its freedom after a weak Prince follows an excellent Prince?
4. What are the three ways a Republic can expand that Machiavelli recognized?
5. In defending his view that Roman Dictators served their city well, what phrase does Machiavelli use to explain how the Caesars absorbed their power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Machiavelli consider to be the worst example that can be committed in a Republic?
2. Why did Machiavelli praise the Plebes for refusing to choose their peers for Tribunes for which the Nobility allowed Plebes candidacy?
3. What does Machiavelli recommend to be done if one wants to establish a Republic where it does not exist?
4. From what did Niccolo Machiavelli make the present that he sent to Zanobi Buondelmonti and Cosimo Rucellai?
5. What does Machiavelli claim to be the practice of writers of history who, "...so obey the fortune of the winners...?"
6. Why does Machiavelli challenge Cities to punish citizens with respected reputations when they commit wrong acts?
7. What does Machiavelli mean when he advises that evil in a State be "temporized"?
8. Why does Machiavelli consider a Citizen rising to take authority through irregular means (popular uprising) harmful in a Republic?
9. What kind of Prince does Machiavelli consider to be Excellent?
10. Why does Machiavelli advise that a Prince "temporize" a perceived evil in his State?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)