|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Machiavelli believe inspired the expansion of the Roman Empire?
(a) Keeping Citizens in poverty.
(c) Aggression and murder.
(d) Harsh Captains guiding the military.
2. Of what should Princes be most ashamed in Machiavelli's view?
(a) Lacking their own soldiers for defense and offense.
(b) Being discovered to be self-absorbed and not devoted to building the strength of their cities.
(c) Consuming his wealth in debauchery.
(d) Missing opportunities to conquer other cities.
3. How does Machiavelli predict a citizen will conduct himself if he is not punished for his misdeeds because of his reputation for doing good deeds, according to Machiavelli.
(a) He will become the most effective aide to the Prince and help expand his power over the citizens.
(b) He will find ways to subvert the Prince and take his power.
(c) He will, in short time, become so insolent as to put an end to all civil law.
(d) He will eventually become overwhelmed by his conscience and slip away into obscurity.
4. How did Roman soldiers provide for themselves before the Senate decided to pay them?
(a) They worked as farmers.
(b) They were required to provide for their own needs.
(c) They received sponsorships from Nobles.
(d) They worked as aides to Senators.
5. Through what means does Machiavelli suggest that a City can achieve what he considers greatness?
(a) Through fear and violence.
(b) Through laws and wealth.
(c) Through conquest and deceit.
(d) Through love or force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another method that Machiavelli reports leaders use to offend their citizens?
2. How does Machiavelli expect a city can keep its freedom after a weak Prince follows an excellent Prince?
3. How did Machiavelli report that the Nobles controlled the process of Plebes having the opportunity to choose Plebes for four Tribunes?
4. According to Machiavelli, what is the first thing that Citizens seek when starting on the path of chasing their ambitions?
5. Why does Machiavelli claim that the rule of the Caesars was preferable to the regime of the Decemvirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli recommend to leaders of a Republic to keep a shadow of the institutions that are being reformed?
2. Why does Machiavelli disagree with Plutarch's claim that Rome acquired its Empire more by good Fortune than by Virtu?
3. Why should a Prince measure his forces and govern by his decisions based upon them before he enters a war?
4. Why does Machiavelli advise that a Prince "temporize" a perceived evil in his State?
5. What does Machiavelli claim to be the practice of writers of history who, "...so obey the fortune of the winners...?"
6. What are the two reasons that Machiavelli gives for his opinion that the courts (Faculty of Accusing) are the most necessary and useful authority to guard liberty in a City?
7. What does Machiavelli consider to be the worst example that can be committed in a Republic?
8. What does Machiavelli mean when he uses the term "virtu" for a Prince?
9. What acts by governing officials does Machiavelli consider "pernicious" or damaging to the authority of the government?
10. What examples from history does Machiavelli claim offers guidance to leaders?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)