|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Machiavelli, what is the first thing that Citizens seek when starting on the path of chasing their ambitions?
(a) Means to win access to public office.
(b) The support of a wealthy Noble.
(c) A cause that will incite the passions of the general masses.
(d) Not to be harmed by citizens or magistrates.
2. What historical records did Machiavelli use to support his point for keeping two important items out of peril?
(a) Historical records of Tullus and Metius.
(b) Historical records of Hannibal and England.
(c) Historical records of military tactics.
(d) Historical records of Rome and France.
3. What are the two important items that Machiavelli considers to be unwise for a Prince to put entirely into peril?
(a) His fortune and forces.
(b) His city and his chief advisers.
(c) His fortune and his reputation.
(d) His reputation and family.
4. What does Machiavelli believe to the nature of men that causes them to either fight from ambition or from necessity?
(a) They are able to desire everything but are not able to attain everything.
(b) Men that choose to fight always fight for personal benefit.
(c) Men that choose to fight always fight for the glory of the City.
(d) They fight so they can have the power to deliver liberty to themselves and the City.
5. What does Machiavelli identify as tactics the Citizen seeking not to be harmed uses?
(b) Friendships with Citizens who are bold enough to fight.
(c) The financial ability to buy protection.
(d) Acquiring friendships either through honest means or by supplying money to protect themselves from the powerful (bribes).
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli claim these forms of government developed?
2. What are the five types of government identified by Machiavelli?
3. What did Machiavelli report led gatherings of people to make laws?
4. What does Machiavelli consider prudence in a Prince or a King?
5. Why does Machiavelli suggest wars should be quick with limited damage to the conquered City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Machiavelli report that the Roman Senate decided to pay a public stipend to the soldiers in the army?
2. Why does Machiavelli disagree with Plutarch's claim that Rome acquired its Empire more by good Fortune than by Virtu?
3. Why did "Captains of Fortune" favor cavalry over infantry?
4. What does Machiavelli mean when he uses the term "virtu" for a Prince?
5. How does Machiavelli explain that a City grows either through love or through force?
6. What does Machiavelli mean when he discusses using "...deceit in the managing of a war..." and why does he consider it a glorious thing?
7. Why does Machiavelli recommend to leaders of a Republic to keep a shadow of the institutions that are being reformed?
8. Why does Machiavelli claim that the Senate and Plebes rose up to take control of Rome from Tarquinius Superbus ?
9. Why were the Plebe candidates not suited for the open positions of the Tribunes?
10. What does Machiavelli recommend to Captains as an element of strategy to assure success in capturing a town?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)