|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Livius' history of Rome identify as the three divisions of the Roman army?
(a) Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery.
(b) Principi, Infantry, and Navy.
(c) .Triari, Navy, and Ordinance.
(d) Astati, Principi, and Triari.
2. How many commanders does Machiavelli advise over an army?
(a) One for each division.
(b) One for battle and one for negotiation.
(d) A tribunal.
3. What does Machiavelli consider to be a great sign of weakness in Republic?
(a) When it continually keeps armies out of fear of other Republics.
(b) When it uses diplomatic skill to cajole the support of other Republics.
(c) When it provides money to other cities that are weaker than it.
(d) When it relies on war to gain new territory.
4. What does Machiavelli consider one of the most important reasons the Roman Empire was successful in expanding its borders?
(a) It showed skill in placing Nobles in control over colonies.
(b) It kept Citizens in poverty.
(c) It had laws that kept the Plebes in their place.
(d) The Senate gave great authority to military leaders over Cities that Rome was attacking.
5. What finally forced Phillip into battle with Fabius, according to Machiavelli?
(a) He was laid siege in his fort.
(b) The prolonged war worsened his condition and that of his subjects.
(c) He was chased to his home and had to put a call out to his soldiers.
(d) The Samnites fell victim to the Trojans.
6. Of what is Machiavelli referring when he addresses the use of deceit in managing wars?
(a) Using tactics that mislead the enemy in battle.
(b) Fooling the city he attacks to hide in a fort.
(c) Fooling his soldiers to do things he needs.
(d) Fooling the Senate to put him where he can win.
7. What does Machiavelli predict will come of corrupted Republics if they do not take the important step of extending its life?
(a) They will break apart into new Republics
(b) They will fall victim to a Tyrant.
(c) They will become ineffective and subject to the rule of a stronger Republic.
(d) The corruption will kill the body.
8. What does Machiavelli identify as the three divisions of armies of his day?
(a) Battle Corps, Navy, and Ordinance.
(b) Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery.
(c) Vanguard, Battle Corps, and Rearguard.
(d) Cavalry, Vanguard, and Artillery.
9. In the comparison between the tactics of Scipio and Hannibal, what does Machiavelli consider to be praiseworthy?
(c) New uses of artillery.
(d) Feigned foolishness.
10. In Book 3, Section 1, what does Machiavelli declare to be, "...a most true thing...."
(a) That, "...the only thing we learn from history is we do not learn from history."
(b) That, "...all the things of the world have to have an ending to their existence."
(c) That, "...all will face death and taxes."
(d) That, "...regardless, all who rise suddenly will fall with the same rapidity."
11. Who was esteemed as being wise for acting foolish from Livius' history of Rome?
(a) Octavious Brutus.
(b) Junius Brutus
(c) Junius Caesar.
(d) Caesar Junius.
12. When does Machiavelli advise Captains to try new things?
(a) While armies are engaged.
(c) When it is camped in the open field.
(d) When it is training.
13. What is Machiavelli's preferred military department?
(a) The Cavalry.
(b) The infantry (foot soldier).
(c) The Artillery.
(d) The Navy
14. What does Machiavelli predict comes to those Republics that are changed violently.
(a) A stronger Republic will take control over it.
(b) Treaties will be made and order restored.
(c) Injury will come to many.
(d) Peace will come when the leaders are destroyed.
15. According to Machiavelli, if men have prospered greatly by one procedure, what is not possible?
(a) To persuade them they can do well with other procedures.
(b) To undo their success.
(c) To remove them from their position.
(d) To undo their honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does Machiavelli advise against promoting to important positions in a Republic?
2. Of what is Machiavelli critical regarding the military tactics of his day?
3. What did Roman historian Livius call Necessity?
4. What does Machiavelli recommend as the three ways to restore a divided city?
5. What does Machiavelli consider necessary to take control over a Republic to install a bad form of government over it?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)