|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
(a) Abandon efforts and run away.
(b) Dismantle and move equipment to save it.
(c) Send an emergency request for more crews and equipment.
(d) Board a ship and leave.
2. During the fifty years between New Orleans' floods of 1735 and 1785, what does the author say brings a false sense of security against flooding?
(a) Prosperous economic boom.
(b) Concrete seawalls.
(c) Drought conditions.
(d) Extended, raised levees.
3. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Lava rocks are used to create healing hot springs.
(b) The heat provides protection against invaders.
(c) The rocks are used for heating purposes.
(d) Heat from the rocks promotes growth of beneficial bacteria.
4. The author meets Barclay Kamb, a researcher living near the San Gabriel Mountains who studies:
(a) The mountains' rate of erosion.
(b) The effects of debris basins on the environment.
(c) How animals and plants adapt to seasonal changes.
(d) Why people live in high-risk areas.
5. The Civil Defense Council in the Reykjavik National Emergency Center is established in 1962 as what?
(a) Storm-monitoring communication headquarters.
(b) Volcano eruption monitoring station.
(c) Command-post bomb shelter.
(d) Natural disaster preparedness center.
Short Answer Questions
1. During high spring waters, what danger forms unseen beneath turbulent waters at the outflow to the Atchafalaya?
2. After describing debris basins, the author flashes back to the Genofile family. What do rescuers believe when they arrive at the family's house after the debris flow?
3. What problems are encountered with Southern California's early debris basins?
4. What does the author identify as a prime contributor to especially dangerous debris flows?
5. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)