|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The oldest parts of Iceland are how old?
(a) Twenty-nine million years.
(b) Fourteen million years.
(c) Five millions years.
(d) One and a half million years.
2. What does the author observe about historical attempts to control lava?
(a) They're usually not successful.
(b) Too many workers perish.
(c) Lava is impossible to control.
(d) Most have worked well.
3. Who develops the debris basins found along the base of the San Gabriel Mountains?
(a) San Gabriel Mountains Environmental Protection Association.
(b) Los Angeles County Flood Control District.
(c) San Gabriel Mountains Emergency Response Center.
(d) Los Angeles Army Corps of Engineers.
4. On General Sand's floating conference boat, Oliver Houck is the only board member who is active in what?
(a) Environmental movement.
(b) Cancelling the Old River project.
(c) Taking the census.
(d) Local political life.
5. The citrus groves that once occupied the space at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains have been replaced by:
(a) Housing developments.
(b) Pine forests.
(c) Debris basins.
(d) State parks.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author notes that many regard the Old River Project as what?
2. The author states that how much of New Orleans lies fifteen feet below sea level?
3. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
4. The author retells the time when Raphael G. Kazmann walks out onto the five hundred and sixty-six foot structure over the Old River but leaves quickly because:
5. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)