|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Lava rocks are used to create healing hot springs.
(b) Heat from the rocks promotes growth of beneficial bacteria.
(c) The heat provides protection against invaders.
(d) The rocks are used for heating purposes.
2. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Falls into the ocean.
(b) Hits another mountain and stops.
(c) Completely destroys the town and stops.
(d) Breaks up into smaller, non-moving pieces.
3. What river does the author mention that connects the Atchafalaya and the Mississippi to form an H?
(a) Black River.
(b) New River.
(c) Red River.
(d) Old River.
4. How much had Los Angeles County's debris basins trapped at the time this book was written?
(a) Five hundred thousand tons.
(b) Twenty million tons.
(c) Thirty thousand tons.
(d) One million tons.
5. In the mountains of Southern California, brush fires ignite by:
(a) Spontaneous combustion.
(b) Arson or high temperatures.
(c) Accident, arson, or lightning.
(d) Accident or spontaneous combustion.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1800s, why do levee districts and boards form in Louisiana?
2. In describing Los Angeles, McPhee states that the city sits where:
3. How tall are the highest peaks of the San Gabriel Mountains?
4. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
5. What is commonly fished from the bayou regions around the Atchafalaya?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)