|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a weir?
(a) Large lock.
(b) Small dam.
(c) Large gate.
(d) Small tugboat.
2. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
(a) New lava flow that threatens the town.
(b) Blinding blizzard that buries the equipment.
(c) Pumps that fail due to excessive heat.
(d) Orders from Iceland's government to stop all cooling efforts.
3. Vestmannaeyjar holds how much of Iceland's total population?
(a) Two and a half percent.
(b) Twelve percent.
(c) Twenty-two percent.
(d) Forty-two and a half percent.
4. After a 6.2 earthquake in 1971, Leon Silver flies over the San Gabriel Mountains and notices what?
(a) Large, deep cracks.
(b) Unusual weather patterns.
(c) Unstable mountain debris.
(d) Migrations of deer herds.
5. Initially, Rabalais is hired as a construction inspector to watch for what at the navigation lock?
(a) Escaping water.
(b) Trapped seals.
(c) Oversized ships.
(d) Illegal drug shipments.
Short Answer Questions
1. When floodwaters cover twenty-six thousand square miles in 1927, how is New Orleans saved?
2. The first debris basin in Southern California successfully protects what village?
3. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
4. During the debris flow, what lands on the roof of the Genofile family's home?
5. The author tells the story of a gun enthusiast in the San Gabriel Mountains who put tissue as wadding in his muzzleloader and ends up:
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)