|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Bob Genofile is rescued, why does he rebuild his home in the same place?
(a) The house is sturdy, built like a fort.
(b) He believes another debris flow will not happen again.
(c) He can't afford to move.
(d) His family has lived there for many generations.
2. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
(a) It moves towards the town and harbor.
(b) It falls into the ocean depths.
(c) It melts into the lava flow.
(d) It crushes most of the town's homes.
3. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
(a) Inland navigation.
(b) Farmland irrigation.
(c) Water rights.
(d) Aquatic recreation.
4. Where the Genofile family lives in Southern California, riverbanks and riverbeds are:
(a) Reinforced with concrete.
(b) Dry and sandy.
(c) Covered in steel.
(d) Soft and muddy.
5. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much water is pumped onto a lava field directly in the path of the moving mountain headed towards Heimaey's town and harbor?
2. As the Genofile family watches the lightning storm from windows at the back of their home, what do they see?
3. How many people perish in the same debris flow that crashes into the Genofile family's house?
4. The first debris basin in Southern California starts out as what?
5. McPhee acknowledges that Pasadena Glen in the mountains of Southern California is a tranquil place providing an escape from city life, but he points out the danger of:
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)