|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
(a) Leave a wreathe and sing a battle song.
(b) Read its inscription and view the landscape.
(c) Carve a new inscription on the monument.
(d) Say a prayer for those who died in the eruption.
2. How many people perish in the same debris flow that crashes into the Genofile family's house?
3. Debris flows occur at different places and different times, happening infrequently enough that:
(a) County officials are not worried about them.
(b) People continue to move to the region despite the danger of debris flows.
(c) The county can afford to pay for damages whenever a flow occurs.
(d) The situation is now fully under control.
4. This book is a:
(a) Historical nonfiction novel.
(b) Traditional science textbook.
(c) Traditional history textbook.
(d) Science fiction novel.
5. On the San Gabriel Mountains above the debris basins, what is the purpose of concrete structures built in canyons?
(a) To capture mountain water for the county to use.
(b) To stop snow avalanches.
(c) To catch giant boulders.
(d) To slow down plunging mountain streams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over a number of centuries, how does the Mississippi River form the state of Louisiana?
2. What does Wade Wells tell visiting scientists about the San Gabriel Mountains?
3. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
4. The livelihood of approximately how many people is affected by the Old River Control?
5. Who is Leon Silver?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)