|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say happens in the area of the Atchafalaya River in the spring of 1973?
(a) Freak storms from the north bring snow to the region, freezing the rivers solid.
(b) Dry conditions bring the river levels down, grounding countless boats.
(c) River levels rise and surrounding fields are covered in brown floodwater.
(d) Three hurricanes devastate the region, leaving millions homeless.
2. In the 1800s, why do levee districts and boards form in Louisiana?
(a) To spread levee costs.
(b) For diplomatic reasons.
(c) To establish water claims.
(d) To control water levels.
3. In feet, how long is the towboat Mississippi?
4. What is a weir?
(a) Large gate.
(b) Small tugboat.
(c) Small dam.
(d) Large lock.
5. Who is Raphael G. Kazmann?
(a) Author of Modern Thermodynamics.
(b) Developer of tripod pilings.
(c) Developer of electromagnetic therapy.
(d) Author of Modern Hydrology.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1800s, swamps in Louisiana are drained and used as what?
2. What are residents of French Acadia called?
3. From the time that the U.S. Army Corps takes control of the Atchafalaya, what word does the author associate with the river and the region?
4. Sympathetically, who does McPhee blame for destructive actions against the natural order of the environment?
5. Norris F. Rabalais was born and raised in what Louisiana parish?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)