|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In feet, how long is the towboat Mississippi?
2. When the author recalls his first time in the Atchafalaya swamps with Charles Fryling in 1980, what does he fondly remember?
(a) The water rushing through locks and gates.
(b) His first encounter with a baby alligator.
(c) Seeing lightning bugs for the first time.
(d) Floating among trees under silently flying birds.
3. Atchafalaya is a what?
4. What river does the author mention that connects the Atchafalaya and the Mississippi to form an H?
(a) Black River.
(b) New River.
(c) Old River.
(d) Red River.
5. In 1928, Congress enacts the Flood Control Act to start what?
(a) Atchafalaya River and Levees Project.
(b) Mississippi River and Tributaries Project.
(c) Old and New Rivers Effort.
(d) Rivers, Tributaries, and Levees Effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's role in this book?
2. What does the author say happens in the area of the Atchafalaya River in the spring of 1973?
3. Throughout the book, a predominant theme is that the following gets in the way of man's plans:
4. The author asserts that due to floods in the region, Louisiana loses how much land each year?
5. What is a weir?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)