|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
(a) Inland navigation.
(b) Aquatic recreation.
(c) Farmland irrigation.
(d) Water rights.
2. On General Sand's floating conference boat, Oliver Houck is the only board member who is active in what?
(a) Cancelling the Old River project.
(b) Environmental movement.
(c) Taking the census.
(d) Local political life.
3. The author retells the time when Raphael G. Kazmann walks out onto the five hundred and sixty-six foot structure over the Old River but leaves quickly because:
(a) An intense lightning storm develops over the area.
(b) A hurricane is headed his way.
(c) A freak tidal wave is coming towards the structure.
(d) The two-hundred thousand ton structure is vibrating.
4. A snagboat is a river boat that does what?
(a) Transports workers from one town to another.
(b) Removes obstructions from rivers.
(c) Pulls barges through turbulent water.
(d) Carries large logs to sawmills.
5. While aboard the Mississippi on his annual trip, General Sands tries to:
(a) Settle differences.
(b) Generate new contracts.
(c) Fine environmentalists.
(d) Capture poachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the Old River Control Project, LeRoy Dugas, also known as Dugie, is what initially?
2. What is a weir?
3. In feet, how long is the towboat Mississippi?
4. The author mentions that when he met Rabalais, he wore what in his pocket?
5. Atchafalaya is a what?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)