|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Fills it with boulders.
(b) Floods it with water.
(c) Bombs it.
(d) Attaches vibration sensors.
2. Wade Wells' job in the San Dimas Experimental Forest involves researching:
(a) Native plant species.
(b) Flood control plans.
(c) Strength and composition of concrete.
(d) Erosion and sedimentation.
3. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
(c) Plexiglass shields.
(d) Careful monitoring.
4. Why is it that the walls of the Genofile family's house do not crumble when the debris flow hits?
(a) The flow passes through the back and front doors and keeps going.
(b) A backyard retaining wall protects the house.
(c) They are steel-reinforced concrete block walls.
(d) The flow is light.
5. In the mountain neighborhood called Pasadena Glen in Southern California, what is built above the highest home to protect the neighborhood?
(a) Twelve-foot stone barrier.
(b) Five-foot redirecting ramp.
(c) Twenty-foot concrete wall.
(d) Eight-foot steel debris catcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the San Gabriel Mountains above the debris basins, what is the purpose of concrete structures built in canyons?
2. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
3. What problems are encountered with Southern California's early debris basins?
4. What are dry winds that cross the Mojave Desert called?
5. After a 6.2 earthquake in 1971, Leon Silver flies over the San Gabriel Mountains and notices what?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)