|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers distributes Atchafalaya river water to swamps, bayous, towns, and cities in:
(a) Shreveport, Louisiana.
(b) Houston, Texas.
(c) Neighboring Mississippi.
(d) French Acadia.
2. After the U.S. Army Corps takes control of the Atchafalaya, Old Cajun bayou life is:
3. What do people do with some of the rocks and boulders that roll down the San Gabriel Mountains?
(a) Build shrines around them.
(b) Use them for landscaping and construction.
(c) Sell them to other states.
(d) Draw murals on them.
4. How big are some of the bowl-shaped excavations that catch debris from the San Gabriel Mountains?
(a) The size of a football stadium.
(b) The size of a soccer field.
(c) As tall as a two-story house.
(d) As large as a semi truck.
5. This book is a:
(a) Science fiction novel.
(b) Traditional science textbook.
(c) Historical nonfiction novel.
(d) Traditional history textbook.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
2. Rabalais says he remembers being taught in high school that one day, these would be built:
3. When the author asks several individuals why people buy homes in dangerous areas of Southern California, one of the answers he receives is that:
4. Even though Los Angeles gets less rainfall than other major cities do, the rain it does get can fall:
5. In 1973, what happens to the Old River Control structure despite engineers drilling it and filling it with cement?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)