|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
(a) Stacking ice blocks along the lava's path.
(b) Redirecting the flow towards an iceberg.
(c) Using ice and snow.
(d) Using ten times more water.
2. How many bowl-shaped excavations line the San Gabriel Mountains to catch debris falling from the mountains?
(c) Two hundred and nine.
(d) One hundred and twenty.
3. The first debris basin in Southern California starts out as what?
(a) Working gravel pit.
(b) Dry pond.
(c) Cattle ranch.
(d) Gold mine.
4. In the spring of 1973, what does the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers do to try to alleviate the tremendous force of water against the control structure?
(a) Purposely flood the entire region.
(b) Dig a ditch to re-route the water.
(c) Open up all eleven gates.
(d) Dam up water north of the structure.
5. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson is a native of which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers develops a plan to do what?
2. In "Cooling the Lava," when the author redirects his conversation to Hawaii he talks about the The Hawaiian Research Association which formed in:
3. A common trait of chaparral is that it:
4. For how many years after the Old River Control begins does the operation appear to be successful?
5. On January 23, 1973, the five thousand residents of Heimaey, the only populated island of Vestmannaeyjar, are threatened by what?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)