|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The livelihood of approximately how many people is affected by the Old River Control?
(a) 31 thousand.
(b) 3 thousand.
(c) 13 hundred.
(d) 3 million.
2. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
(a) One hundred feet.
(b) Seven hundred feet.
(c) Three thousand feet.
(d) One thousand two hundred feet.
3. Atchafalaya is a what?
4. What does the 1927 flood in Louisiana teach officials about levees?
(a) They work beautifully.
(b) They need to be built taller.
(c) They make the flooding problem worse.
(d) More need to be constructed faster.
5. How much water is pumped onto a lava field directly in the path of the moving mountain headed towards Heimaey's town and harbor?
(a) Three thousand gallons.
(b) Thirty trillion gallons.
(c) Three hundred thousand gallons.
(d) Thirty million gallons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author identify as a prime contributor to especially dangerous debris flows?
2. A snagboat is a river boat that does what?
3. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
4. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
5. The writing on Dugie's belt buckle reads:
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)