|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author asserts that due to floods in the region, Louisiana loses how much land each year?
(a) Three acres.
(b) Fifty square miles.
(c) Seven hundred acres.
(d) A thousand square miles.
2. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
(a) For the first time.
(b) Never to return.
(c) Against their will.
(d) For a day only.
3. Do the members of the Genofile family survive the debris flow crash?
(a) All but one do.
(b) All but two do.
4. The author states that these man-made objects are dragged down the mountain by the debris flow towards the Genofile family's home:
5. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Bombs it.
(b) Floods it with water.
(c) Attaches vibration sensors.
(d) Fills it with boulders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Leon Silver?
2. What does the author say happens in the area of the Atchafalaya River in the spring of 1973?
3. What is a weir?
4. When the author walks the streets of Iceland's Heimaey years after the 1973 eruption, what does he see?
5. The author notes that many regard the Old River Project as what?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)