Essay Topic 1
John McPhee shows how man works hard to control nature in an attempt to protect communities and economic centers.
1. Using one of the three main stories covered in "The Control of Nature," show how man is in conflict with nature.
2. Do people's efforts to redirect or tame natural forces solve problems or make them worse? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Part of the problem is that people settle into regions that are particularly hazardous: floodplains, active volcanic zones, and places prone to mountain landslides, brush fires, and earthquakes.
1. Using examples from the book, elaborate upon some of the reasons the author gives to explain why people settle in regions where natural forces are especially active, posing risks to the communities that develop there.
2. Is the author sympathetic or unsympathetic to man's plight in his efforts to control nature? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. Describe how the system of rivers encompassing...
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)