|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a virus that is duplicated in a host cell using the reverse transcriptase enzyme to produce DNA from its RNA genome?
2. What surgeon traveled to the capital of Uganda only to discover that their virus matched the AIDS epidemic?
3. In China, the use of what drug was encouraging AIDS to spread, according to the author in Chapter 14?
4. The Aswan High Dam is an embankment dam situated across what river?
5. In Russia, a poor health care system that was impoverished following the fall of Communism forced the reuse of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author correlate the development of urban centers to the growth of disease in Chapter 9: "Microbe Magnets"?
2. What was the impact of resistant microbes in third world countries?
3. With whom did Joe McCormick meet to discuss the Lassa virus? What was this relationship like?
4. What obstacles did Joe McCormick find in the fight against the Lassa virus?
5. What impact did AIDS have in India?
6. How does the author describe the evolution of staph infections in Chapter 13: "Revenge of the Germs"?
7. How does the author describe the Rivet Hypothesis in Chapter 16?
8. What illness broke out in New Mexico in 1993? How many people died?
9. What was the impact of tuberculosis in America? What improved conditions?
10. What led to the epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases amongst the gay community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the work of Dr. Jeanette Troup and Lily Pinneo. Where were Troup and Pinneo when they encountered the Lassa virus? Why did Pinneo recover from her infection? Who was given transfusions of Pinneo's blood and what reaction did they have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the political strife between France and Germany regarding the Lassa virus and the quarantine and release of Mandrella, Brinkmann, and Cargill. What work did these researchers continue after their release? Also discuss the work of Kent Campbell on the Lassa virus. Who did Campbell begin testing for the virus in Africa and what were his findings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the outbreak of Marburg disease and attempts to control the epidemic. How many individuals were infected and what was their prognosis? Where did the disease originate and what carried it and exposed it to humans?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)