|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Aswan High Dam was constructed during what decade?
2. In Chapter 15: "All in Good Haste," an outbreak of a respiratory illness that caused death broke out in reservations in New Mexico in what year?
3. In Chapter 8: "Revolution," the author writes that the medical field discovered _____________, causing things to drastically change.
4. Kaposi's sarcoma was originally described by Moritz Kaposi in what year?
5. What country sought to improve its own infrastructures with little funding, relying instead on education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the message delivered by Johnathan Mann in Chapter 14: "Thirdworldization"? To whom did he speak?
2. What was the impact of tuberculosis in America? What improved conditions?
3. What are retroviruses and oncogenes? What was discovered about them in Chapter 8: "Revolution"?
4. How does the author describe the outbreak of Lyme disease? How did human interaction impact the disease?
5. What was the impact of antibiotics given to animals, as discussed in Chapter 13: "Revenge of the Germs"?
6. What was the CDC's response to the initial outbreak of AIDS? Where had similar cases been seen?
7. How does the author describe the correlation between tampons and outbreaks of TSS in Chapter 12?
8. With whom did Joe McCormick meet to discuss the Lassa virus? What was this relationship like?
9. How did the discovery of genetic engineering change the views of the scientific community?
10. How did many nations respond to the AIDS epidemic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Ron MacKenzie, Karl Johnson, and the outbreak of Bolivian hemorrhagic fever. What symptoms of the disease were similar to Junin? What role did the CDC play in disease prevention? What role did the World Health Organization play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Uwe Brinkmann, Bernhard Mandrella, Adam Cargill, the Lassa virus, and the facility in Germany where the researchers were quarantined. What symptoms did those infected exhibit? Where did the virus originate and how many were infected?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss genetic engineering, slow viruses, retroviruses and oncogenes. When did the greatest developments in genetic engineering take place? How did these developments change the way scientists viewed viruses and bacteria?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)