|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What CDC director was fired over the first epidemic of Legionnaires' disease?
2. Soon after the funeral of the first victim in Chapter 5, the mission was filled with the disease and some of the mission nurses were sent to ______________ to recover.
3. In Chapter 4: "Into the Woods," the author writes that Uwe Brinkmann, Bernhard Mandrella, Adam Cargill, and three nurses were taken to an isolated facility in which location?
4. What concept stated that as nations moved out of poverty and basic needs were met, scientists could use pharmaceutical and chemical tools to wipe out parasites, bacteria, and viruses?
5. What term refers to a disease created as a result of medical treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the results of attempts to eradicate malaria?
2. What led to the wane of study on parasitic disease? What discoveries were changing the way scientists viewed infectious viruses?
3. What caused the overpopulation of field mice in San Joaquin?
4. What backlash did the CDC meet after vaccinating against swine flu?
5. How is the author Laurie Garrett described in the book's introduction and bio? Where did Garrett study? What are common themes in her works?
6. What did the Centers for Disease Control do upon learning of the Ebola epidemic?
7. What was the CDC's response to the swine flu epidemic? What resistance was met?
8. What did Karl Johnson contract in the beginning of Chapter 1: "Machupo"? Who had traveled to Bolivia and what did this scientist find upon his arrival?
9. In Chapter 2, how does author Laurie Garrett describe the evolution of healthcare following the introduction of antibiotics?
10. Where did Mandrella, Cargill, and Brinkmann go after being quarantined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the political strife between France and Germany regarding the Lassa virus and the quarantine and release of Mandrella, Brinkmann, and Cargill. What work did these researchers continue after their release? Also discuss the work of Kent Campbell on the Lassa virus. Who did Campbell begin testing for the virus in Africa and what were his findings?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the political elements of mass immunizations. What backlash came about from the swine flu vaccination campaign? How was the CDC impacted by lawsuits? What recent attempts at vaccinations have been controversial and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Ron MacKenzie, Karl Johnson, and the outbreak of Bolivian hemorrhagic fever. What symptoms of the disease were similar to Junin? What role did the CDC play in disease prevention? What role did the World Health Organization play?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)