|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5: Yambuku.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ron MacKenzie return after taking blood samples in Bolivia in Chapter 1: "Machupo"?
2. Peter Piot at CDC processed the samples sent to him in Chapter 5: "Yambuku," and tests showed the virus was neither ________________ nor anything else they had seen.
(b) Yellow fever.
(d) Dengue fever.
3. Author Laurie Garrett refers to Karl Johnson and Ron MacKenzie as the first _______ in Chapter 1: "Machupo."
(a) Scientific geniouses.
(b) Disease cowboys.
(c) Medical juggernauts.
(d) Viral explorers.
4. In the Introduction, Laurie Garrett discusses the experiences of her uncle who was a doctor in what year?
5. By what decade does the author write that AIDS was an epidemic in the book's Introduction?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Johnson and MacKenzie became ill in Chapter 1: "Machupo," they were saved by a doctor who knew to drastically increase ______________.
2. The first polio vaccine was developed by Jonas Salk and first tested in what year?
3. DNA was first isolated by what Swiss physician?
4. The disease that Ron MacKenzie went to Bolivia to investigate in Chapter 1: "Machupo" was dubbed by local doctors as ____________.
5. In the book's Preface, the author writes that the vulnerability of the world is increased due to which of the following?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)