Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Essay Topic 1
Obedience is an important aspect of the characters' lives in the village. Discuss the role of obedience in the novel.
1) To whom are the characters in the novel obedient or disobedient?
2) What happens to characters who disobey authority in the novel? For what reasons do the characters disobey authority?
3) Why does the culture in the story value obedience?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the constructed reality of the culture is more important than a natural reality. The rules of the culture are artificial, created by people and enforced by people on themselves. Discuss constructed reality in the novel.
1) In what way is the life of the town artificial? How does this allow K. to break rules and do things other characters constrained by the constructed reality couldn't do?
2) What makes the constructed reality of the culture of the village powerful? Why is it important to the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
This section contains 1,944 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)