|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does K. say about his loyalty to Frieda?
2. Who does Barnabas deliver a message from during Chapter XXI?
3. When Amalia's father finally took action after their disgrace, what did he do?
4. Who led the family toward Sortini when they saw him approaching?
5. Whose secretary is Buergel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barnabas say about Klamm's appearance?
2. When does K. plan on visiting Hans' mother?
3. What does Amalia accuse K. of using Barnabas for?
4. What is Frieda afraid might happen to he if her mother's warnings are right?
5. What reason does Erlanger give K. the request Erlanger is making during the meeting?
6. What did Sortini do when Amalia's family approached him?
7. How does K. respond to what Barnabas tells him about the Castle?
8. What happens to Jeremias and Artur when they are not together?
9. At what event does Amalia's family's disgrace begin?
10. Why does K. stay in the corridor after his meeting with Erlanger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the characters desire favors from the upper class. Favors allow characters to get ahead in life, but both how they are acquired and whether they are deserved is ill-defined. Discuss the role of favors in the novel.
1) Is the lease of the Bridge Inn and the marriage between the landlady and landlord all a favor from Klamm to the landlady? In what ways is it ambiguous? What role does Klamm play in the landlady receiving these things?
2) What does K. expect to receive from Klamm? What does he believe you need to do to receive a favor?
3) What are characters in the novel willing to do for favors? Under what circumstances do the characters receive good things? Is it related to their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the bureaucracy of the Castle is both very powerful and lacking in power. Discuss this dynamic.
1) In what ways is the bureaucracy of the Castle powerful? How does it control people's actions?
2) In what ways does the bureaucracy of the Castle lack power? How does K. manage to defy the bureaucracy?
3) How does the bureaucracy's power, and lack of power, affect Amalia and her family?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)