|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
2. Where does K. fall asleep at the end of Chapter XXIV?
3. What type of apprenticeship does Barnabas have?
4. What does Frieda say that K. wants from Hans' family?
5. What did Frieda's mother warn her about K.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K. respond to what Barnabas tells him about the Castle?
2. What was Amalia's father hoping for at his work, before the family's disgrace?
3. What is Frieda afraid might happen to he if her mother's warnings are right?
4. What does Amalia accuse K. of using Barnabas for?
5. How does K. answer Frieda's mother's objections about him?
6. When does K. plan on visiting Hans' mother?
7. Why has Hans come to see K. and what is he supposed to be doing instead?
8. What happens to Jeremias and Artur when they are not together?
9. What does K. hope that Barnabas' good news was?
10. Why does K. stay in the corridor after his meeting with Erlanger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the constructed reality of the culture is more important than a natural reality. The rules of the culture are artificial, created by people and enforced by people on themselves. Discuss constructed reality in the novel.
1) In what way is the life of the town artificial? How does this allow K. to break rules and do things other characters constrained by the constructed reality couldn't do?
2) What makes the constructed reality of the culture of the village powerful? Why is it important to the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in THE CASTLE.
1) What role does Amalia play in the novel? What is her role as a woman in the village's culture? How does she defy that role, and what are the consequences?
2) What role does Frieda play in the novel? Does she use her gender to gain a social advantage? How does the culture promote that behavior?
3) What role does the landlady play in the novel? What does her position say about the role of women in the society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)