|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hans think his father might be sympathetic toward K.?
2. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
3. What would happen to Amalia's father when he went into the Castle?
4. What does Erlanger ask from K.?
5. Who has saved K.'s job as janitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K. respond to what Barnabas tells him about the Castle?
2. What happens to Jeremias and Artur when they are not together?
3. When does K. plan on visiting Hans' mother?
4. What reasons does Buergel give against forbidding interrogations at night?
5. What does Barnabas say about Klamm's appearance?
6. What does Barnabas' family think about his job with the Castle?
7. What reason does Amalia give K. that he will have to come visit them more often?
8. What is Frieda doing for Jeremias at the end of Chapter XXII?
9. How does Frieda initially react to K.'s explanation of his relationship with Barnabas' family?
10. How does K. answer Frieda's mother's objections about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of social rules and pressure in THE CASTLE.
1) How does the community impose unwritten laws in THE CASTLE?
2) What are the consequences of defying unwritten laws in THE CASTLE? How do the consequences differ for K. and for Amalia's family?
3) What are the benefits and drawbacks of social conformity in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unspoken and unwritten rules in the novel.
1) What are the rules of behavior in the village? How do the people in the village know those rules?
2) What are the rules of behavior for secretaries in the Castle? How do the Castle employees know those rules?
3) What does K. think of unspoken and unwritten rules? What is the result of his attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Obedience is an important aspect of the characters' lives in the village. Discuss the role of obedience in the novel.
1) To whom are the characters in the novel obedient or disobedient?
2) What happens to characters who disobey authority in the novel? For what reasons do the characters disobey authority?
3) Why does the culture in the story value obedience?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)