Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) Discuss the Castle as part of the setting of the novel. Why does the reader never visit the inside of the Castle? How does the reader learn about the Castle? What does the appearance and structure of the Castle say about it and about the village?
2) How does the setting of the village influence the novel?
3) Why do the inns become a major part of the novel's setting? What is the importance of the two inns in the novel?
4) What significance does the schoolhouse have as a setting?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 3
In THE CASTLE, the relationship between individuals in groups is important. Discuss the role of social dynamics in the novel.
1) How does the relationship between the twins Jeremias and Artur compare to the social dynamics in the culture of the village? What is the significance of the fact that they age faster apart? How do they act as individuals, and how do they act as a group?
2) How does the culture of the village and the dynamics of groups have power in the novel? How does the village as a whole act differently from individuals?
3) How does the bureaucracy of the Castle reflect the dynamics of groups, as opposed to individuals?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)