|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the gentlemen in the Gentlemen's Inn do to call the landlord?
2. What is the relationship between Schwarzer and Gisa?
3. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
4. Who does Olga believe is the source of their misfortune?
5. How do the gentlemen react to the deliveries?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unspoken and unwritten rules in the novel.
1) What are the rules of behavior in the village? How do the people in the village know those rules?
2) What are the rules of behavior for secretaries in the Castle? How do the Castle employees know those rules?
3) What does K. think of unspoken and unwritten rules? What is the result of his attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the town's acceptance of K. as a stranger.
1) How do the people in the town feel about strangers and outsiders? What is the culture's attitude toward outsiders?
2) In what ways does K. become accepted in the town? What role does his relationship with the Castle play in his acceptance? What role does his engagement to Frieda play in his acceptance?
3) In what ways does K. remain an outsider in the town? Is K. responsible for remaining an outsider, and to what extent?
This section contains 1,918 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)