|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the father do when the family's money ran out?
2. Who was the first letter that Barnabas delivered sent to?
3. Who tells K. that Olga is in love with him?
4. How do the gentlemen react to the deliveries?
5. Who does Olga say is the head of their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sortini do when Amalia's family approached him?
2. What reason does Erlanger give K. the request Erlanger is making during the meeting?
3. What reason does Amalia give K. that he will have to come visit them more often?
4. What does Barnabas say about Klamm's appearance?
5. What was Amalia's father hoping for at his work, before the family's disgrace?
6. What does Amalia accuse K. of using Barnabas for?
7. Why has Hans come to see K. and what is he supposed to be doing instead?
8. What did Olga do to try to remove her family's disgrace?
9. How long does K. need to wait to see Erlanger?
10. Why does K. stay in the corridor after his meeting with Erlanger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) Discuss the Castle as part of the setting of the novel. Why does the reader never visit the inside of the Castle? How does the reader learn about the Castle? What does the appearance and structure of the Castle say about it and about the village?
2) How does the setting of the village influence the novel?
3) Why do the inns become a major part of the novel's setting? What is the importance of the two inns in the novel?
4) What significance does the schoolhouse have as a setting?
Essay Topic 2
In THE CASTLE, the relationship between individuals in groups is important. Discuss the role of social dynamics in the novel.
1) How does the relationship between the twins Jeremias and Artur compare to the social dynamics in the culture of the village? What is the significance of the fact that they age faster apart? How do they act as individuals, and how do they act as a group?
2) How does the culture of the village and the dynamics of groups have power in the novel? How does the village as a whole act differently from individuals?
3) How does the bureaucracy of the Castle reflect the dynamics of groups, as opposed to individuals?
Essay Topic 3
Obedience is an important aspect of the characters' lives in the village. Discuss the role of obedience in the novel.
1) To whom are the characters in the novel obedient or disobedient?
2) What happens to characters who disobey authority in the novel? For what reasons do the characters disobey authority?
3) Why does the culture in the story value obedience?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)