|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of interrogations does Buergel say are best for the person being interrogated?
2. Who is Galater?
3. Who was the first letter that Barnabas delivered sent to?
4. What does K. do when he sees Frieda?
5. Who tells K. that Olga is in love with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barnabas say about Klamm's appearance?
2. What is Frieda afraid might happen to he if her mother's warnings are right?
3. What did Olga do to try to remove her family's disgrace?
4. Why has Hans come to see K. and what is he supposed to be doing instead?
5. At what event does Amalia's family's disgrace begin?
6. How does Frieda initially react to K.'s explanation of his relationship with Barnabas' family?
7. What does Buergel say might happen at a meeting in the middle of the night?
8. What does Amalia accuse K. of using Barnabas for?
9. What happens to Jeremias and Artur when they are not together?
10. What does K. hope that Barnabas' good news was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unspoken and unwritten rules in the novel.
1) What are the rules of behavior in the village? How do the people in the village know those rules?
2) What are the rules of behavior for secretaries in the Castle? How do the Castle employees know those rules?
3) What does K. think of unspoken and unwritten rules? What is the result of his attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) Discuss the Castle as part of the setting of the novel. Why does the reader never visit the inside of the Castle? How does the reader learn about the Castle? What does the appearance and structure of the Castle say about it and about the village?
2) How does the setting of the village influence the novel?
3) Why do the inns become a major part of the novel's setting? What is the importance of the two inns in the novel?
4) What significance does the schoolhouse have as a setting?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)