|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the gentlemen in the Gentlemen's Inn do to call the landlord?
2. What does Buergel do when K. stumbles into his room?
3. What did Amalia do with Sortini's letter?
4. What did Frieda's mother warn her about K.?
5. Who led the family toward Sortini when they saw him approaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does K. plan on visiting Hans' mother?
2. What does K. hope that Barnabas' good news was?
3. What does Barnabas say about Klamm's appearance?
4. What does Barnabas' family think about his job with the Castle?
5. What is Frieda doing for Jeremias at the end of Chapter XXII?
6. What reason does Erlanger give K. the request Erlanger is making during the meeting?
7. What does Buergel say might happen at a meeting in the middle of the night?
8. What did Olga do to try to remove her family's disgrace?
9. At what event does Amalia's family's disgrace begin?
10. How does K. respond to what Barnabas tells him about the Castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the characters desire favors from the upper class. Favors allow characters to get ahead in life, but both how they are acquired and whether they are deserved is ill-defined. Discuss the role of favors in the novel.
1) Is the lease of the Bridge Inn and the marriage between the landlady and landlord all a favor from Klamm to the landlady? In what ways is it ambiguous? What role does Klamm play in the landlady receiving these things?
2) What does K. expect to receive from Klamm? What does he believe you need to do to receive a favor?
3) What are characters in the novel willing to do for favors? Under what circumstances do the characters receive good things? Is it related to their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the bureaucracy of the Castle is both very powerful and lacking in power. Discuss this dynamic.
1) In what ways is the bureaucracy of the Castle powerful? How does it control people's actions?
2) In what ways does the bureaucracy of the Castle lack power? How does K. manage to defy the bureaucracy?
3) How does the bureaucracy's power, and lack of power, affect Amalia and her family?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)