|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells K. the story of how their family became disparaged in the community?
2. What does Erlanger ask from K.?
3. Who does Barnabas deliver a message from during Chapter XXI?
4. Who is Galater?
5. What was the family forced to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barnabas' family think about his job with the Castle?
2. What did the townspeople do after Amalia's disobedience became known?
3. What is Frieda doing for Jeremias at the end of Chapter XXII?
4. What happens to Jeremias and Artur when they are not together?
5. When does K. plan on visiting Hans' mother?
6. Why has Hans come to see K. and what is he supposed to be doing instead?
7. How long does K. need to wait to see Erlanger?
8. What does Amalia accuse K. of using Barnabas for?
9. What did Olga do to try to remove her family's disgrace?
10. How does K. answer Frieda's mother's objections about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) Discuss the Castle as part of the setting of the novel. Why does the reader never visit the inside of the Castle? How does the reader learn about the Castle? What does the appearance and structure of the Castle say about it and about the village?
2) How does the setting of the village influence the novel?
3) Why do the inns become a major part of the novel's setting? What is the importance of the two inns in the novel?
4) What significance does the schoolhouse have as a setting?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the bureaucracy of the Castle is both very powerful and lacking in power. Discuss this dynamic.
1) In what ways is the bureaucracy of the Castle powerful? How does it control people's actions?
2) In what ways does the bureaucracy of the Castle lack power? How does K. manage to defy the bureaucracy?
3) How does the bureaucracy's power, and lack of power, affect Amalia and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)