|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the family looking at when Sortini approached Amalia?
2. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
3. When Amalia's father finally took action after their disgrace, what did he do?
4. What does K. say about Olga's attractiveness?
5. What does Buergel do when K. stumbles into his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jeremias and Artur when they are not together?
2. What does Buergel say might happen at a meeting in the middle of the night?
3. How does Frieda initially react to K.'s explanation of his relationship with Barnabas' family?
4. What is Frieda doing for Jeremias at the end of Chapter XXII?
5. What does Barnabas' family think about his job with the Castle?
6. Why does K. stay in the corridor after his meeting with Erlanger?
7. What is Frieda afraid might happen to he if her mother's warnings are right?
8. How does K. answer Frieda's mother's objections about him?
9. What did Sortini do when Amalia's family approached him?
10. What did the townspeople do after Amalia's disobedience became known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss love in the novel.
1) Does K. love Frieda? How do you know? What is K.'s attitude toward love?
2) Does Frieda love K.? How do you know? What is Frieda's attitude toward love?
3) Do the characters in the novel love Klamm? How is their love for Klamm expressed, and how is it different from their love for each other? What does the landlady of the Bridge Inn's feelings for Klamm say about love?
Essay Topic 2
Obedience is an important aspect of the characters' lives in the village. Discuss the role of obedience in the novel.
1) To whom are the characters in the novel obedient or disobedient?
2) What happens to characters who disobey authority in the novel? For what reasons do the characters disobey authority?
3) Why does the culture in the story value obedience?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in THE CASTLE.
1) What role does Amalia play in the novel? What is her role as a woman in the village's culture? How does she defy that role, and what are the consequences?
2) What role does Frieda play in the novel? Does she use her gender to gain a social advantage? How does the culture promote that behavior?
3) What role does the landlady play in the novel? What does her position say about the role of women in the society?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)