Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does Klamm communicate with K. in the novels? What are the problems in this communication?
2) Can K. and Frieda truly communicate with each other in the novel? What are the stumbling blocks to communication between them?
3) How do the means of communication used by the Castle, such as the phone and messengers, emphasize its bureaucracy and its disconnectedness from reality? What role does communication play in the Castle's bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 2
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)