Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Many of the goals and aims of the characters in the novel prove futile. Discuss futility in the novel.
1) When Amalia's father tries to change the fate of his ostracized family, his quest is futile. Why is his quest futile? Why does he continue to strive for it, even though he loses all his money in bribes?
2) K.'s quest to see Klamm seems futile. What makes his quest unsuccessful? Can he have any control over his quest? Why does he continue to try to see K.?
3) What other characters face futility, and what do they do when faced with futility?
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) Discuss the Castle as part of the setting of the novel. Why does the reader never visit the inside of the Castle? How does the reader learn about the Castle? What does the appearance and structure of the Castle say about it and about the village?
2) How does the setting of the village influence the novel?
3) Why do the inns become a major part of the novel's setting? What is the importance of the two inns in the novel?
4) What significance does the schoolhouse have as a setting?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)