Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Discuss the ideas of deception and of using people in the novel.
1) Is K. misleading toward Hans when he offers to see if he can help Hans' mother? Does it matter what K.'s goal and intentions are?
2) Do K. and Frieda use each other? Do they deceive each other about their motives? Does it matter?
3) How does the culture of the village and the Castle encourage deception and using people?
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does Klamm communicate with K. in the novels? What are the problems in this communication?
2) Can K. and Frieda truly communicate with each other in the novel? What are the stumbling blocks to communication between them?
3) How do the means of communication used by the Castle, such as the phone and messengers, emphasize its bureaucracy and its disconnectedness from reality? What role does communication play in the Castle's bureaucracy?
Discuss the town's acceptance of K. as a stranger.
1) How do the people in the town feel about strangers and outsiders? What is the culture's attitude toward outsiders?
2) In what ways does K. become accepted in the town? What role does his relationship with the Castle play in his acceptance? What role does his engagement to Frieda play in his acceptance?
3) In what ways does K. remain an outsider in the town? Is K. responsible for remaining an outsider, and to what extent?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)