|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Barnabas the letters he is supposed to deliver?
2. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
3. What does K. say about his loyalty to Frieda?
4. What does Frieda think of K.'s conversation with Hans?
5. What does K. do when he sees Frieda?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does K. plan on visiting Hans' mother?
2. What happens to Jeremias and Artur when they are not together?
3. What is Frieda afraid might happen to he if her mother's warnings are right?
4. What does K. hope that Barnabas' good news was?
5. How does K. answer Frieda's mother's objections about him?
6. How long does K. need to wait to see Erlanger?
7. What did Sortini do when Amalia's family approached him?
8. What does Buergel say might happen at a meeting in the middle of the night?
9. What reason does Erlanger give K. the request Erlanger is making during the meeting?
10. At what event does Amalia's family's disgrace begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss THE CASTLE as a religious allegory.
1) Considering The Castle as a religious allegory, what role does Klamm play? What does the nature of Klamm say about the author's viewpoint?
2) What role does the Castle bureaucracy play? Who do Klamm's representatives represent?
3) What moral dilemma does The Castle present about the nature of being good, based on K.'s arguments about intention?
Essay Topic 2
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the bureaucracy of the Castle is both very powerful and lacking in power. Discuss this dynamic.
1) In what ways is the bureaucracy of the Castle powerful? How does it control people's actions?
2) In what ways does the bureaucracy of the Castle lack power? How does K. manage to defy the bureaucracy?
3) How does the bureaucracy's power, and lack of power, affect Amalia and her family?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)