Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
Essay Topic 2
The bureaucracy of the Castle seems to have no guiding force or leader, and is self-reinforcing, following only rules and regulations. Discuss the leaderless nature of the machine of bureaucracy.
1) Who assesses how well the bureaucracy of the Castle is functioning? What are the consequences?
2) How does the Castle itself function as a leader for the village? What are the consequences of the fact that the Castle is not a person, but an institution? What difference would it make if instead of a Castle, the village followed a King?
3) What controls the Castle? How is bureaucratic control different than control by a leader?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, bureaucracy causes obstructions for the characters. Discuss the obstructions of bureaucracy in the novel.
1) How does bureaucracy call K. to the town? How does it affect the plot?
2) Inside the Castle bureaucracy, is it possible to tell what actually happened and what is important? What is the significance of the obscuring nature of bureaucracy?
3) How do the inhabitants of the town view their own town's bureaucracy? What are the consequences of complaining about bureaucracy?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)