|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buergel do when K. stumbles into his room?
2. Who does K. say he might be able to help medically?
3. How effective is bribing Castle officials?
4. What does K. do when he sees Frieda?
5. What is Frieda doing when K. returns to the schoolhouse in Chapter XV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does Klamm communicate with K. in the novels? What are the problems in this communication?
2) Can K. and Frieda truly communicate with each other in the novel? What are the stumbling blocks to communication between them?
3) How do the means of communication used by the Castle, such as the phone and messengers, emphasize its bureaucracy and its disconnectedness from reality? What role does communication play in the Castle's bureaucracy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of social rules and pressure in THE CASTLE.
1) How does the community impose unwritten laws in THE CASTLE?
2) What are the consequences of defying unwritten laws in THE CASTLE? How do the consequences differ for K. and for Amalia's family?
3) What are the benefits and drawbacks of social conformity in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the goals and aims of the characters in the novel prove futile. Discuss futility in the novel.
1) When Amalia's father tries to change the fate of his ostracized family, his quest is futile. Why is his quest futile? Why does he continue to strive for it, even though he loses all his money in bribes?
2) K.'s quest to see Klamm seems futile. What makes his quest unsuccessful? Can he have any control over his quest? Why does he continue to try to see K.?
3) What other characters face futility, and what do they do when faced with futility?
This section contains 1,898 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)