|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What health concern does Amalia's father have?
2. Who has saved K.'s job as janitor?
3. What does Frieda think K. might be using her for?
4. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
5. What does Frieda think of K.'s conversation with Hans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amalia accuse K. of using Barnabas for?
2. What did Olga do to try to remove her family's disgrace?
3. What does K. hope that Barnabas' good news was?
4. What does Barnabas' family think about his job with the Castle?
5. What reason does Amalia give K. that he will have to come visit them more often?
6. How long does K. need to wait to see Erlanger?
7. Why has Hans come to see K. and what is he supposed to be doing instead?
8. How does K. answer Frieda's mother's objections about him?
9. What did the townspeople do after Amalia's disobedience became known?
10. Why does K. stay in the corridor after his meeting with Erlanger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In THE CASTLE, the relationship between individuals in groups is important. Discuss the role of social dynamics in the novel.
1) How does the relationship between the twins Jeremias and Artur compare to the social dynamics in the culture of the village? What is the significance of the fact that they age faster apart? How do they act as individuals, and how do they act as a group?
2) How does the culture of the village and the dynamics of groups have power in the novel? How does the village as a whole act differently from individuals?
3) How does the bureaucracy of the Castle reflect the dynamics of groups, as opposed to individuals?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, the bureaucracy of the Castle is both very powerful and lacking in power. Discuss this dynamic.
1) In what ways is the bureaucracy of the Castle powerful? How does it control people's actions?
2) In what ways does the bureaucracy of the Castle lack power? How does K. manage to defy the bureaucracy?
3) How does the bureaucracy's power, and lack of power, affect Amalia and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1) Discuss the Castle as part of the setting of the novel. Why does the reader never visit the inside of the Castle? How does the reader learn about the Castle? What does the appearance and structure of the Castle say about it and about the village?
2) How does the setting of the village influence the novel?
3) Why do the inns become a major part of the novel's setting? What is the importance of the two inns in the novel?
4) What significance does the schoolhouse have as a setting?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)