Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss insults in the novel.
1) Amalia perceives the letter she receives as an insult. Why does she have this perception? How does she respond to it? Could it be interpreted in any other way? Would the rest of the culture see the letter as an insult?
2) Amalia insults both the official and the secretary when she tears up the letter and throws it at the secretary. How do their feelings of being insulted compare to Amalia's? What are the consequences of both insults?
3) In what other situations do characters feel insulted? What are the causes and results of insults, and what role does this play in the culture of the village?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the goals and aims of the characters in the novel prove futile. Discuss futility in the novel.
1) When Amalia's father tries to change the fate of his ostracized family, his quest is futile. Why is his quest futile? Why does he continue to strive for it, even though he loses all his money in bribes?
2) K.'s quest to see Klamm seems futile. What makes his quest unsuccessful? Can he have any control over his quest? Why does he continue to try to see K.?
3) What other characters face futility, and what do they do when faced with futility?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unspoken and unwritten rules in the novel.
1) What are the rules of behavior in the village? How do the people in the village know those rules?
2) What are the rules of behavior for secretaries in the Castle? How do the Castle employees know those rules?
3) What does K. think of unspoken and unwritten rules? What is the result of his attitude?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)