Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the characters desire favors from the upper class. Favors allow characters to get ahead in life, but both how they are acquired and whether they are deserved is ill-defined. Discuss the role of favors in the novel.
1) Is the lease of the Bridge Inn and the marriage between the landlady and landlord all a favor from Klamm to the landlady? In what ways is it ambiguous? What role does Klamm play in the landlady receiving these things?
2) What does K. expect to receive from Klamm? What does he believe you need to do to receive a favor?
3) What are characters in the novel willing to do for favors? Under what circumstances do the characters receive good things? Is it related to their actions?
Essay Topic 2
In THE CASTLE, the relationship between individuals in groups is important. Discuss the role of social dynamics in the novel.
1) How does the relationship between the twins Jeremias and Artur compare to the social dynamics in the culture of the village? What is the significance of the fact that they age faster apart? How do they act as individuals, and how do they act as a group?
2) How does the culture of the village and the dynamics of groups have power in the novel? How does the village as a whole act differently from individuals?
3) How does the bureaucracy of the Castle reflect the dynamics of groups, as opposed to individuals?
Essay Topic 3
Prestige is an important element of culture in the village surrounding the Castle. Discuss the role of prestige in the novel.
1) What increases or decreases prestige in the novel?
2) Which characters value prestige and which do not?
3) What role does prestige play in the material position of the characters? Do the characters benefit by prestige?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)