|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What finally happens to the sleigh and the horses?
(a) They are brought back to the stable.
(b) They circle around the inn several times, before disappearing.
(c) They ride out to the country to meet Klamm.
(d) They ride off to the Castle.
2. Do the people in the house know about K.?
(a) No, they have only heard vague rumors of a stranger in town.
(b) Yes, they have heard talk about him.
(c) No, they have never heard anything about him.
(d) Yes, but they pretend not to know of him.
3. What does the letter praise?
(a) K.'s ability to follow rules.
(b) K.'s work as a surveyor.
(c) K.'s politeness.
(d) K's integrity in dealing with Frieda.
4. How does K. try to get out of the conversation with Frieda's mother?
(a) By saying he is not decent and must dress.
(b) By saying he is wanted at the Castle immediately.
(c) By saying he must leave for his meeting with the village chairman.
(d) By saying he must go to work surveying the land the inn is on.
5. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
(a) Bumbling and incompetent.
(b) Kind, helpful, and generous.
(c) Mean, bullying, and power-hungry.
(d) Empty-headed and ignorant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
2. What reason does Frieda suggest for letting the assistants return?
3. What does K. learn about Klamm's whereabouts?
4. What does Frieda want K. to do about the job offer?
5. How does K. get back to the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
2. What does the landlady say will happen to the record of K.'s talk with the gentleman?
3. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
4. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
5. What do Artur and Jeremias know about land surveying?
6. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
7. What impression does Frieda make when K. first meets her?
8. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
9. How does K. feel in the village?
10. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)