|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does K. hope to ask Klamm for, when he meets with him?
(a) Frieda's hand in marriage.
(b) A job in the Castle.
(d) A permanent surveyor job.
2. What reason does Frieda give that she is sad she left the Gentlemen's Inn?
(a) She misses a steady income as a barmaid.
(b) She misses Klamm's wealth.
(c) She misses Klamm's power.
(d) She feels unworthy to be with K.
3. Where does K. go with the people he meets on the road?
(a) To the schoolhouse.
(b) To the inn.
(c) To the Castle.
(d) To Barnabas's house.
4. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
(a) That K. has no permission to be there.
(b) That K. has to work for his board at the inn.
(c) That K. is welcome in the village.
(d) That K. has to show papers bearing the royal seal from the Castle.
5. What is K. asked to get out of Klamm's sleigh?
(a) A music box.
(b) A riding crop.
(d) Klamm's spectacles.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter VIII, where is K.?
2. When do they tell K. that Klamm left the Gentleman's Inn?
3. Who does Frieda say the assistants really want?
4. Where are K. and his assistants living at the beginning of Chapter XI?
5. What answer do K.'s assistants get when they call the Castle for permission to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does the teacher give that the chairman wants to help K.?
2. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
3. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
4. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
5. What does K. suspect about Frieda, at the end of Chapter XII?
6. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
7. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
8. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
9. How does the chairman characterize the Castle's bureaucracy?
10. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)