|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does K. find in Klamm's sleigh in the courtyard?
(a) A coachman.
(b) A valet.
(c) Klamm's new mistress.
(d) Klamm's brother.
2. Where does K. go when he arrives at the village?
(a) To the inn to sleep.
(b) To a friend's house.
(c) To the guard house to befriend the guards.
(d) To the servants' entrance of the castle.
3. What does the chairman say is the reason K. was sent for?
(a) To carry out a secret plot for the Count.
(b) To pad the kingdom's budget.
(c) To survey land for a new section of the village.
(d) Bureaucratic error.
4. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
(a) Empty-headed and ignorant.
(b) Mean, bullying, and power-hungry.
(c) Bumbling and incompetent.
(d) Kind, helpful, and generous.
5. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the characters have trouble sleeping at the school?
2. Who does K. meet on the road?
3. Who is waiting with the gentleman for K.?
4. What answer does K. get when he calls the Castle himself for permission to visit?
5. What is it like inside Klamm's sleigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
2. How does K. react to the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting?
3. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
4. What does Klamm look like?
5. What use does Frieda think the position offered to K. might serve?
6. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
7. How does K. discover that Klamm is staying at the Gentlemen's Inn?
8. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
9. What does the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting want?
10. What reason does K. give for refusing to let the assistants come back?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)