|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do they tell K. that Klamm left the Gentleman's Inn?
(a) A few hours after K. had left.
(b) Before K. arrived at the Gentleman's Inn.
(c) While K. was waiting for Klamm.
(d) As soon as K. was out of the way.
2. What reason does K. suggest for the landlady's reluctance to have him talk to Klamm?
(a) That she is protecting her daughter.
(b) That she is employed by Klamm.
(c) That she doesn't want K. to get in trouble.
(d) That she is protecting Klamm.
3. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
(a) She thought K. would be a good connection with the Castle.
(b) She was too tired to kick him out.
(c) She needed the money.
(d) She thought it would be nice to talk to someone new.
4. What does K. hope to ask Klamm for, when he meets with him?
(a) A permanent surveyor job.
(b) A job in the Castle.
(c) Frieda's hand in marriage.
5. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
(a) That K. is welcome in the village.
(b) That K. has no permission to be there.
(c) That K. has to work for his board at the inn.
(d) That K. has to show papers bearing the royal seal from the Castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter praise?
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of Chapter X?
3. How likely does Frieda's mother say it is for K. to see Klamm?
4. Who does K. find in Klamm's sleigh in the courtyard?
5. Where does K. go with the people he meets on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
2. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
3. What does the landlady say will happen to the record of K.'s talk with the gentleman?
4. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
5. What does Klamm look like?
6. What happens between K. and the assistants after Frieda gets up in the middle of the night at the school?
7. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
8. How does K. feel when he goes to see the village chairman?
9. To what does the landlady attribute the profitability of the inn?
10. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)