|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
(a) That K. has to work for his board at the inn.
(b) That K. has no permission to be there.
(c) That K. has to show papers bearing the royal seal from the Castle.
(d) That K. is welcome in the village.
2. Who does the letter from K.'s director tell him to report to?
(a) The village chairman.
(b) The Count.
(c) The Queen.
(d) The director.
3. What photo does the landlady show K.?
(a) A photo of her husband as a young man.
(b) A photo of herself as a young girl.
(c) A photo of a messenger Klamm sent to her long ago.
(d) A photo of Frieda as a young girl.
4. Who leases the inn to the landlady and landlord?
(a) The landlady's father.
(b) The landlord's uncle.
(d) The Count.
5. What do the assistants do when K. makes them leave?
(a) Pull down the curtains and break lamps as they leave.
(b) Bring drums and trumpets to make noise outside the window.
(c) Bang at the windows and doors.
(d) Leave quietly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting with the gentleman for K.?
2. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
3. Who does K. meet and ask questions about the Castle?
4. What reason does Frieda give that she is sad she left the Gentlemen's Inn?
5. What does K. want to do about his assistants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K. discover that Klamm is staying at the Gentlemen's Inn?
2. What reason does the landlady give K. that her conversation with him is important, and does her reason seem true, based on the conversation?
3. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
4. What reason does K. give for refusing to let the assistants come back?
5. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
6. How does the chairman's wife act during K.'s visit?
7. Who are the people in the house K. stops at on his way toward the Castle?
8. How does K. feel in the village?
9. How does the chairman characterize the Castle's bureaucracy?
10. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)