|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the landlady say she feels about K. staying at the inn?
(a) She says that she wants K. to stay but doesn't want to see or hear him.
(b) She says she is in love with K. and wants him to stay.
(c) She says that she wants K. to leave immediately.
(d) She says she is happy that K. is staying there.
2. Why do the characters have trouble sleeping at the school?
(a) It is too cold.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) It is too bright.
(d) It is too noisy.
3. Who does Frieda say the assistants really want?
4. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
(a) Yes, though she is more tolerant of the assistants than K. is.
(b) Yes, she is even more critical of the assistants than K. is.
(c) No, but she wants more time away from teh assistants.
(d) No, she wants to keep the assistants near them constantly.
5. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
(a) She needed the money.
(b) She thought K. would be a good connection with the Castle.
(c) She thought it would be nice to talk to someone new.
(d) She was too tired to kick him out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like the morning after K. arrives?
2. What reason does K. suggest for the landlady's reluctance to have him talk to Klamm?
3. How many siblings does Barnabas have?
4. What does K. learn about Klamm's whereabouts?
5. What reason does Frieda suggest for letting the assistants return?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K. feel at the end of Chapter VIII?
2. What does the gentleman who comes to the coach while K. is there waiting want?
3. What happens when K. first wakes up the morning after meeting Frieda?
4. What does K. believe is the reason that Hans and his family never received favors from Klamm?
5. What is K.'s attitude toward the gentleman in Chapter IX?
6. What does K. call Artur and Jeremias and why?
7. What message does K. send through Barnabas to Klamm?
8. What does K. do to get fuel for a fire?
9. What does the coachman tell K. about Klamm's arrival at the coach?
10. What is the landlady's relationship to Klamm?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)