|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the father do when the family's money ran out?
(a) He started writing angry letters to the Castle.
(b) He started trying to organize a revolt against the Castle.
(c) He started staying at home, not bathing, and pacing all day.
(d) He camped out in front of the Castle gates.
2. What did Frieda's mother warn her about K.?
(a) That K. was violent and abusive.
(b) That K. was drunken and sullen.
(c) That K. was manipulative and ambitious.
(d) That K. was lazy and stubborn.
3. Who does Olga say is the head of their family?
(b) Their father.
(c) Their mother.
4. What type of apprenticeship does Barnabas have?
5. Who has saved K.'s job as janitor?
(b) The chairman.
(d) The schoolteacher.
6. What does Jeremias do after hearing the contents of the letter?
(a) Attacks Barnabas.
(b) Takes the letter and tears it up.
(c) Attacks K.
(d) Runs off toward the meeting place.
7. What is the relationship between Schwarzer and Gisa?
(a) Schwarzer is courting Gisa.
(b) Schwarzer is Gisa's enemy.
(c) Schwarzer is like a brother to Gisa.
(d) Schwazer is Gisa's employer.
8. What does Frieda say that K. wants from Hans' family?
(b) Access to the Castle.
(d) A place to stay for free.
9. What was the family forced to do?
(a) Pay extra taxes to the Castle.
(b) Become unpaid servants to noblemen.
(c) Sell their cattle and horses.
(d) Move out of their house.
10. Who does K. discover has connections at the Castle?
(a) The teacher he talked to on the road.
(b) The landlady of the inn he stayed at.
(c) The woman K. saw nursing soon after his arrival in town.
(d) The assistants he has sent away.
11. When Amalia's father finally took action after their disgrace, what did he do?
(a) Talk to Sortini.
(b) Publically chastise the community.
(c) Publically plead for forgiveness.
(d) Petition the Castle.
12. How easy does K. think it will be to win Frieda back?
(a) He thinks it will be impossible.
(b) He thinks it will be very difficult, and he'll have to make tough concessions.
(c) He thinks he will have to beg her and show his worth.
(d) He thinks it will only take a few words from him.
13. Which of Barnabas's siblings is at the house when K. arrives?
(c) Both Amelia and Olga.
(d) Neither Amelia nor Olga.
14. What would happen to Amalia's father when he went into the Castle?
(a) He would get sent back out.
(b) He would be unable to see anyone, even a clerk.
(c) He would see a clerk or guard, but get no results.
(d) He would see an official, but get no results.
15. Who controlled the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
(a) The father.
(b) The mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Olga believe is the source of their misfortune?
2. Who does K. say he might be able to help medically?
3. What crime had the Castle formally charged the family with?
4. Where does Olga make the contacts that eventually get Barnabas his job with the Castle?
5. Who tells K. that Olga is in love with him?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)