|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
(a) Writing a letter.
(d) Talking loudly.
2. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
(a) One of the assistants.
(c) One of the children of the master tanner.
(d) One of the workers from the Gentlemen's Inn.
3. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
(a) No one.
(b) The landlord and landlady.
(c) Frieda and Amalia.
(d) A large crowd of people.
4. What does K. say about his plan in dealing with Hans?
(a) K. will be the winner from the plan, and at least Hans will not lose anything.
(b) Both he and Hans will benefit from it.
(c) Hans will be the winner from the plan, and at least K. will not lose anything.
(d) He doesn't mind harming Hans, as long as he gets what he wants.
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
(a) To snub the most prominent members of the community.
(b) To write letters to the Castle.
(c) To do nothing.
(d) To complain constantly to whoever would listen.
6. Does Frieda come back to K. at the end of Chapter XXII?
(a) No, she leaves both K. and Jeremias.
(b) Yes, she leaves Jeremias for K.
(c) Yes, but she continues to see Jeremias.
(d) No, she stays with Jeremias.
7. Does Olga think her family could have restored their position in the village?
(a) Yes, if they had tried to get in the village's good graces.
(b) No, because of Sortini's high position.
(c) Yes, if the Castle had intervened
(d) No, because of the particularly wrong they committed.
8. What type of apprenticeship does Barnabas have?
9. Who tells K. that Olga is in love with him?
(c) Olga's mother.
(d) Olga's father.
10. Who was the first letter that Barnabas delivered sent to?
(b) His father.
11. Who does K. say he might be able to help medically?
(b) Hans' mother.
(c) The assistants.
(d) The landlord.
12. What did Amalia do with Sortini's letter?
(a) Bury it.
(b) Throw it into the street.
(c) Tear it up.
(d) Burn it.
13. Where does Olga make the contacts that eventually get Barnabas his job with the Castle?
(a) Waiting in front of the Castle.
(b) The Gentlemen's Inn.
(c) The Bridge Inn.
(d) Inside the Castle.
14. What does Buergel talk to K. about?
(a) The private lives of the Castle elite.
(b) The schedule of arrivals and departures at the Gentlemen's Inn.
(c) The way the secretary system works.
(d) The architectural design of the Castle.
15. What does K. say about Olga's attractiveness?
(a) She is both pretty and friendly.
(b) She is pretty but not friendly.
(c) She is neither pretty nor friendly.
(d) She is friendly but not pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Had other families been disgraced in the past?
2. Who tells K. the story of how their family became disparaged in the community?
3. What would happen to Amalia's father when he went into the Castle?
4. Who controlled the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
5. What is the relationship between Schwarzer and Gisa?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)