|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sortini order Amalia to do in his letter?
(a) Come to the Castle.
(b) Come to the Gentlemen's Inn.
(c) Meet him at the festival.
(d) Meet him in the schoolhouse.
2. Who was the first letter that Barnabas delivered sent to?
(b) His father.
3. Where does Olga make the contacts that eventually get Barnabas his job with the Castle?
(a) The Bridge Inn.
(b) Inside the Castle.
(c) The Gentlemen's Inn.
(d) Waiting in front of the Castle.
4. What does Erlanger ask from K.?
(a) That K. stop seeing Barnabas's family.
(b) That K. leave the town.
(c) That Jeremias return to the Castle.
(d) That Frieda return to her post.
5. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
(a) For the status it brings.
(b) For the chance to overhear conversations.
(c) Because he is endebted to Klamm.
(d) For the money it brings.
6. What does the teacher scold K. for at the beginning of Chapter XIV?
(a) Talking to the wrong people.
(b) Not dressing properly.
(c) Not being polite enough.
(d) Not cleaning up the room.
7. Whose secretary is Buergel?
8. What is Frieda doing when K. sees her at the Gentlemen's Inn?
(a) Carrying baggage for the guests.
(b) Cleaning the rooms.
(c) Cleaning tables in the taproom.
(d) Serving drinks in the taproom.
9. What does K. do while listening to Buergel?
(a) He twiddle his thumbs.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He paces madly.
(d) He taps his foot incessantly.
10. What crime had the Castle formally charged the family with?
(a) Insulting a nobleman.
(c) Evading an order to appear.
(d) Being a public nuisance.
11. What is Erlanger doing when K. first sees him?
(a) Talking on the phone.
12. Who does Olga believe is the source of their misfortune?
(b) Sortini's servant.
(c) The fire department.
13. Where do the letters Barnabas delivers come from?
(a) A stack of old letters.
(b) A machine.
(c) A clerk who writes letters all day.
(d) A mysterious unseen person inside an office.
14. What did Frieda's mother warn her about K.?
(a) That K. was drunken and sullen.
(b) That K. was violent and abusive.
(c) That K. was lazy and stubborn.
(d) That K. was manipulative and ambitious.
15. Who does K. intend to use his weapon against when he leaves Olga's house?
(a) The schoolteacher.
(b) His assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of interrogations does Buergel say are best for the person being interrogated?
2. Who tells K. the story of how their family became disparaged in the community?
3. Who is Galater?
4. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
5. What do the gentlemen in the Gentlemen's Inn do to call the landlord?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)