|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buergel talk to K. about?
(a) The architectural design of the Castle.
(b) The schedule of arrivals and departures at the Gentlemen's Inn.
(c) The way the secretary system works.
(d) The private lives of the Castle elite.
2. What does K. say about Olga's attractiveness?
(a) She is both pretty and friendly.
(b) She is friendly but not pretty.
(c) She is neither pretty nor friendly.
(d) She is pretty but not friendly.
3. What does K. say about his loyalty to Frieda?
(a) That it doesn't matter whether he was unfaithful.
(b) That she is horrid to challenge his faithfulness.
(c) That he was never unfaithful.
(d) That she doesn't deserve to know whether he was faithful.
4. Who led the family toward Sortini when they saw him approaching?
(a) The mother.
(d) The father.
5. Which of Barnabas's siblings is at the house when K. arrives?
(c) Both Amelia and Olga.
(d) Neither Amelia nor Olga.
6. What does K. do while listening to Buergel?
(a) He taps his foot incessantly.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He paces madly.
(d) He twiddle his thumbs.
7. What does K. say about the schoolteacher scolding him?
(a) That he will soon revenge the schoolteacher.
(b) That it does not affect him.
(c) That he is deeply upset by it.
(d) That he is pleased that the schoolteacher is mad at him.
8. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
(a) To snub the most prominent members of the community.
(b) To complain constantly to whoever would listen.
(c) To do nothing.
(d) To write letters to the Castle.
9. Where does K. fall asleep at the end of Chapter XXIV?
(a) In a bathtub.
(b) In the street.
(c) On the rug.
(d) In a barrel.
10. What does K. take when he leaves Olga's house?
(a) A rock.
(b) A knife.
(c) A willow switch.
(d) A heavy vase.
11. Where does Olga make the contacts that eventually get Barnabas his job with the Castle?
(a) Waiting in front of the Castle.
(b) Inside the Castle.
(c) The Gentlemen's Inn.
(d) The Bridge Inn.
12. What is Frieda doing when K. sees her at the Gentlemen's Inn?
(a) Cleaning tables in the taproom.
(b) Cleaning the rooms.
(c) Carrying baggage for the guests.
(d) Serving drinks in the taproom.
13. Who has saved K.'s job as janitor?
(a) The chairman.
(d) The schoolteacher.
14. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
(a) Because he is endebted to Klamm.
(b) For the money it brings.
(c) For the chance to overhear conversations.
(d) For the status it brings.
15. What does K. do when he sees Frieda?
(a) Slaps her face.
(b) Shakes her hand coldly.
(c) Runs to her and embraces her.
(d) Ignores her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the gentlemen react to the deliveries?
2. How easy does K. think it will be to win Frieda back?
3. What health concern does Amalia's father have?
4. Why does K. go to see Barnabas in Chapter XV?
5. Who does K. intend to use his weapon against when he leaves Olga's house?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)