|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Barnabas have to wait for the letters he delivers?
(a) A long time, sometimes days.
(b) Usually a half hour to an hour.
(c) At most, several hours.
(d) Never more than a few minutes.
2. What is Erlanger doing when K. first sees him?
(b) Talking on the phone.
3. Does Olga think her family could have restored their position in the village?
(a) No, because of the particularly wrong they committed.
(b) Yes, if they had tried to get in the village's good graces.
(c) Yes, if the Castle had intervened
(d) No, because of Sortini's high position.
4. Who does K. intend to use his weapon against when he leaves Olga's house?
(a) His assistant.
(b) The schoolteacher.
5. What health concern does Amalia's father have?
(b) A paralyzed foot.
(d) A bad heart.
6. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
(a) The landlord and landlady.
(b) Frieda and Amalia.
(c) A large crowd of people.
(d) No one.
7. Does Frieda come back to K. at the end of Chapter XXII?
(a) No, she stays with Jeremias.
(b) Yes, but she continues to see Jeremias.
(c) No, she leaves both K. and Jeremias.
(d) Yes, she leaves Jeremias for K.
8. Who tells K. that Olga is in love with him?
(c) Olga's father.
(d) Olga's mother.
9. How effective is bribing Castle officials?
(a) Effective, if the bribe is given to the right official.
(b) Ineffective but tolerated.
(c) Ineffective and usually resulting in criminal prosecution.
(d) Effective, if the bribe is large enough.
10. What type of apprenticeship does Barnabas have?
11. What type of interrogations does Buergel say are best for the person being interrogated?
(a) Daytime interrogations.
(b) Nighttime interrogations.
(c) Interrogations at the Castle.
(d) Interrogations at the person's home.
12. Who was the first letter that Barnabas delivered sent to?
(a) His father.
13. What does K. say about the schoolteacher scolding him?
(a) That he is deeply upset by it.
(b) That it does not affect him.
(c) That he is pleased that the schoolteacher is mad at him.
(d) That he will soon revenge the schoolteacher.
14. What does K. see being delivered in the Gentlemen's Inn, as the morning approaches?
15. Who is Galater?
(a) Klamm's boss.
(b) Klamm's uncle.
(c) Klamm's new secretary.
(d) Klamm's substitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who controlled the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
2. Who does K. say he might be able to help medically?
3. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
4. What did Amalia do with Sortini's letter?
5. Where does the letter-writer want to meet K.?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)