|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does K. discover has connections at the Castle?
(a) The landlady of the inn he stayed at.
(b) The woman K. saw nursing soon after his arrival in town.
(c) The teacher he talked to on the road.
(d) The assistants he has sent away.
2. What health concern does Amalia's father have?
(a) A bad heart.
(d) A paralyzed foot.
3. What crime had the Castle formally charged the family with?
(a) Being a public nuisance.
(b) Evading an order to appear.
(c) Insulting a nobleman.
4. What did Sortini order Amalia to do in his letter?
(a) Come to the Gentlemen's Inn.
(b) Meet him in the schoolhouse.
(c) Meet him at the festival.
(d) Come to the Castle.
5. How easy does K. think it will be to win Frieda back?
(a) He thinks it will only take a few words from him.
(b) He thinks it will be very difficult, and he'll have to make tough concessions.
(c) He thinks he will have to beg her and show his worth.
(d) He thinks it will be impossible.
6. Why does K. go to see Barnabas in Chapter XV?
(a) Because he hasn't heard from Barnabas about his message to Klamm.
(b) Because he has a new message for Barnabas to deliver.
(c) Because he suspects that Barnabas knows a secret way to get to Klamm.
(d) Because he wants to hire Barnabas to do a secret errand.
7. What type of interrogations does Buergel say are best for the person being interrogated?
(a) Daytime interrogations.
(b) Interrogations at the person's home.
(c) Interrogations at the Castle.
(d) Nighttime interrogations.
8. Who has saved K.'s job as janitor?
(a) The schoolteacher.
(d) The chairman.
9. What does K. say about the schoolteacher scolding him?
(a) That he is pleased that the schoolteacher is mad at him.
(b) That he will soon revenge the schoolteacher.
(c) That he is deeply upset by it.
(d) That it does not affect him.
10. What would happen to Amalia's father when he went into the Castle?
(a) He would see an official, but get no results.
(b) He would see a clerk or guard, but get no results.
(c) He would get sent back out.
(d) He would be unable to see anyone, even a clerk.
11. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
(a) Talking loudly.
(b) Writing a letter.
12. What is the relationship between Schwarzer and Gisa?
(a) Schwarzer is like a brother to Gisa.
(b) Schwazer is Gisa's employer.
(c) Schwarzer is courting Gisa.
(d) Schwarzer is Gisa's enemy.
13. What does K. see being delivered in the Gentlemen's Inn, as the morning approaches?
14. How effective is bribing Castle officials?
(a) Effective, if the bribe is large enough.
(b) Ineffective and usually resulting in criminal prosecution.
(c) Ineffective but tolerated.
(d) Effective, if the bribe is given to the right official.
15. What do the gentlemen in the Gentlemen's Inn do to call the landlord?
(a) They blow a whistle.
(b) They ring electrc bells.
(c) They send their secretaries to get him.
(d) They yell down the stairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buergel talk to K. about?
2. Where do the letters Barnabas delivers come from?
3. Who controlled the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
4. What does K. do while listening to Buergel?
5. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)