|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hans think his father might be sympathetic toward K.?
(a) Hans' father is a land surveyor like K.
(b) Hans' father was once a stranger in the village.
(c) Hans' father also wants to see Klamm.
(d) Hans' father wanted to summon a land surveyor.
2. What does K. see being delivered in the Gentlemen's Inn, as the morning approaches?
3. What did the father do when the family's money ran out?
(a) He started staying at home, not bathing, and pacing all day.
(b) He camped out in front of the Castle gates.
(c) He started trying to organize a revolt against the Castle.
(d) He started writing angry letters to the Castle.
4. Where does K. fall asleep at the end of Chapter XXIV?
(a) In the street.
(b) On the rug.
(c) In a barrel.
(d) In a bathtub.
5. Who does K. discover has connections at the Castle?
(a) The woman K. saw nursing soon after his arrival in town.
(b) The landlady of the inn he stayed at.
(c) The teacher he talked to on the road.
(d) The assistants he has sent away.
6. What does K. say about the schoolteacher scolding him?
(a) That he is deeply upset by it.
(b) That he will soon revenge the schoolteacher.
(c) That he is pleased that the schoolteacher is mad at him.
(d) That it does not affect him.
7. Who has saved K.'s job as janitor?
(c) The schoolteacher.
(d) The chairman.
8. What does Buergel do when K. stumbles into his room?
(a) He calls security.
(b) He yells at K.
(c) He invites K. in.
(d) He calls down to the inn's owner.
9. Which of Barnabas's siblings is at the house when K. arrives?
(a) Both Amelia and Olga.
(d) Neither Amelia nor Olga.
10. What was the family looking at when Sortini approached Amalia?
(a) A fire engine.
(b) A poster.
(c) A tall building.
(d) A horse.
11. Where do the letters Barnabas delivers come from?
(a) A clerk who writes letters all day.
(b) A stack of old letters.
(c) A machine.
(d) A mysterious unseen person inside an office.
12. How was Amalia's father punished for her disobedience?
(a) He was demoted.
(b) He was given extra work to do every night.
(c) His diploma was taken away.
(d) He was ignored by all his coworkers.
13. What type of apprenticeship does Barnabas have?
14. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
(a) For the money it brings.
(b) Because he is endebted to Klamm.
(c) For the chance to overhear conversations.
(d) For the status it brings.
15. What sometimes cures Buergel's insomnia?
(a) Hot milk.
(d) Counting sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the family forced to do?
2. When Amalia's father finally took action after their disgrace, what did he do?
3. What does Jeremias do after hearing the contents of the letter?
4. What is Erlanger doing when K. first sees him?
5. Who knocks on K.'s door at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)