|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Barnabas the letters he is supposed to deliver?
(a) Klamm's private secretary.
(c) A clerk.
(d) A military officer.
2. Where does the letter-writer want to meet K.?
(a) At the schoolhouse.
(b) In the Gentlemen's Inn.
(c) At the Castle gates.
(d) At the Bridge Inn.
3. What is the relationship between Schwarzer and Gisa?
(a) Schwarzer is like a brother to Gisa.
(b) Schwarzer is Gisa's enemy.
(c) Schwazer is Gisa's employer.
(d) Schwarzer is courting Gisa.
4. What does K. say about Amalia's attractiveness?
(a) She is too reserved and unapproachable.
(b) She is far lovelier than Frieda.
(c) She is annoyingly bubbly.
(d) Her friendly personality makes her irresistable.
5. Who led the family toward Sortini when they saw him approaching?
(a) The father.
(d) The mother.
6. Why does Hans think his father might be sympathetic toward K.?
(a) Hans' father is a land surveyor like K.
(b) Hans' father was once a stranger in the village.
(c) Hans' father also wants to see Klamm.
(d) Hans' father wanted to summon a land surveyor.
7. How easy does K. think it will be to win Frieda back?
(a) He thinks it will only take a few words from him.
(b) He thinks he will have to beg her and show his worth.
(c) He thinks it will be very difficult, and he'll have to make tough concessions.
(d) He thinks it will be impossible.
8. What does K. do while listening to Buergel?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He paces madly.
(c) He taps his foot incessantly.
(d) He twiddle his thumbs.
9. Who does Olga believe is the source of their misfortune?
(a) The fire department.
(d) Sortini's servant.
10. Who is Galater?
(a) Klamm's substitute.
(b) Klamm's uncle.
(c) Klamm's new secretary.
(d) Klamm's boss.
11. What health concern does Amalia's father have?
(a) A paralyzed foot.
(d) A bad heart.
12. What is Frieda doing when K. sees her at the Gentlemen's Inn?
(a) Carrying baggage for the guests.
(b) Cleaning tables in the taproom.
(c) Cleaning the rooms.
(d) Serving drinks in the taproom.
13. How was Amalia's father punished for her disobedience?
(a) His diploma was taken away.
(b) He was demoted.
(c) He was given extra work to do every night.
(d) He was ignored by all his coworkers.
14. What does K. take when he leaves Olga's house?
(a) A rock.
(b) A knife.
(c) A heavy vase.
(d) A willow switch.
15. What sometimes cures Buergel's insomnia?
(b) Hot milk.
(c) Counting sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
2. What did the father do when the family's money ran out?
3. What would happen to Amalia's father when he went into the Castle?
4. How does the landlord react to seeing K. in the corridor at the Gentlemen's Inn?
5. Which of Barnabas's siblings is at the house when K. arrives?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)