|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the family forced to do?
(a) Sell their cattle and horses.
(b) Move out of their house.
(c) Become unpaid servants to noblemen.
(d) Pay extra taxes to the Castle.
2. Where does the letter-writer want to meet K.?
(a) At the Bridge Inn.
(b) In the Gentlemen's Inn.
(c) At the Castle gates.
(d) At the schoolhouse.
3. Who controlled the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
(b) The mother.
(d) The father.
4. What does K. say about his loyalty to Frieda?
(a) That she is horrid to challenge his faithfulness.
(b) That it doesn't matter whether he was unfaithful.
(c) That he was never unfaithful.
(d) That she doesn't deserve to know whether he was faithful.
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
(a) To write letters to the Castle.
(b) To complain constantly to whoever would listen.
(c) To snub the most prominent members of the community.
(d) To do nothing.
6. How long does Barnabas have to wait for the letters he delivers?
(a) Usually a half hour to an hour.
(b) A long time, sometimes days.
(c) At most, several hours.
(d) Never more than a few minutes.
7. Who does Olga believe is the source of their misfortune?
(c) The fire department.
(d) Sortini's servant.
8. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
(a) Because he is endebted to Klamm.
(b) For the status it brings.
(c) For the money it brings.
(d) For the chance to overhear conversations.
9. What does Buergel do when K. stumbles into his room?
(a) He yells at K.
(b) He invites K. in.
(c) He calls down to the inn's owner.
(d) He calls security.
10. How was Amalia's father punished for her disobedience?
(a) He was demoted.
(b) His diploma was taken away.
(c) He was ignored by all his coworkers.
(d) He was given extra work to do every night.
11. What would happen to Amalia's father when he went into the Castle?
(a) He would see an official, but get no results.
(b) He would get sent back out.
(c) He would see a clerk or guard, but get no results.
(d) He would be unable to see anyone, even a clerk.
12. What is Frieda doing when K. returns to the schoolhouse in Chapter XV?
(a) Sorting the library books.
(b) Bathing a cat.
(c) Telling stories to the children.
(d) Mopping the floors.
13. What does K. say about Amalia's attractiveness?
(a) She is annoyingly bubbly.
(b) Her friendly personality makes her irresistable.
(c) She is too reserved and unapproachable.
(d) She is far lovelier than Frieda.
14. Who does Olga say is the head of their family?
(b) Their father.
(c) Their mother.
15. What did Amalia do with Sortini's letter?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Throw it into the street.
(c) Tear it up.
(d) Bury it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frieda say that K. wants from Hans' family?
2. What does K. take when he leaves Olga's house?
3. What are Barnabas' parents doing when K. arrives at the house?
4. How does the landlord react to seeing K. in the corridor at the Gentlemen's Inn?
5. What was the family looking at when Sortini approached Amalia?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)