|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
(a) No one.
(b) A large crowd of people.
(c) The landlord and landlady.
(d) Frieda and Amalia.
2. Where do the letters Barnabas delivers come from?
(a) A mysterious unseen person inside an office.
(b) A clerk who writes letters all day.
(c) A stack of old letters.
(d) A machine.
3. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
(a) For the chance to overhear conversations.
(b) Because he is endebted to Klamm.
(c) For the status it brings.
(d) For the money it brings.
4. What is Erlanger doing when K. first sees him?
(c) Talking on the phone.
5. Who does K. discover has connections at the Castle?
(a) The assistants he has sent away.
(b) The landlady of the inn he stayed at.
(c) The woman K. saw nursing soon after his arrival in town.
(d) The teacher he talked to on the road.
6. What does Jeremias do after hearing the contents of the letter?
(a) Attacks K.
(b) Runs off toward the meeting place.
(c) Attacks Barnabas.
(d) Takes the letter and tears it up.
7. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
(a) To snub the most prominent members of the community.
(b) To write letters to the Castle.
(c) To do nothing.
(d) To complain constantly to whoever would listen.
8. What health concern does Amalia's father have?
(a) A bad heart.
(c) A paralyzed foot.
9. How easy does K. think it will be to win Frieda back?
(a) He thinks it will be impossible.
(b) He thinks he will have to beg her and show his worth.
(c) He thinks it will only take a few words from him.
(d) He thinks it will be very difficult, and he'll have to make tough concessions.
10. Where does Olga make the contacts that eventually get Barnabas his job with the Castle?
(a) The Bridge Inn.
(b) Waiting in front of the Castle.
(c) Inside the Castle.
(d) The Gentlemen's Inn.
11. Who led the family toward Sortini when they saw him approaching?
(b) The father.
(c) The mother.
12. Who does Olga say is the head of their family?
(a) Their father.
(b) Their mother.
13. Who does Barnabas deliver a message from during Chapter XXI?
(a) A castle guard.
(b) One of Klamm's secretaries.
14. Who tells K. that Olga is in love with him?
(a) Olga's father.
(d) Olga's mother.
15. What sometimes cures Buergel's insomnia?
(b) Hot milk.
(c) Counting sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime had the Castle formally charged the family with?
2. What does K. say about his loyalty to Frieda?
3. How effective is bribing Castle officials?
4. What does Frieda say that K. wants from Hans' family?
5. What does the teacher scold K. for at the beginning of Chapter XIV?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)