|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of apprenticeship does Barnabas have?
2. Who gives Barnabas the letters he is supposed to deliver?
(b) Klamm's private secretary.
(c) A military officer.
(d) A clerk.
3. Does Olga think her family could have restored their position in the village?
(a) Yes, if they had tried to get in the village's good graces.
(b) Yes, if the Castle had intervened
(c) No, because of the particularly wrong they committed.
(d) No, because of Sortini's high position.
4. How does the landlord react to seeing K. in the corridor at the Gentlemen's Inn?
(a) He is woried.
(b) He is thrilled.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He is jealous.
5. What was the family's response to being ostracized by the community?
(a) To snub the most prominent members of the community.
(b) To do nothing.
(c) To complain constantly to whoever would listen.
(d) To write letters to the Castle.
6. What does K. say about the schoolteacher scolding him?
(a) That he is pleased that the schoolteacher is mad at him.
(b) That it does not affect him.
(c) That he is deeply upset by it.
(d) That he will soon revenge the schoolteacher.
7. Why does K. go to see Barnabas in Chapter XV?
(a) Because he has a new message for Barnabas to deliver.
(b) Because he wants to hire Barnabas to do a secret errand.
(c) Because he hasn't heard from Barnabas about his message to Klamm.
(d) Because he suspects that Barnabas knows a secret way to get to Klamm.
8. Who does Olga believe is the source of their misfortune?
(a) The fire department.
(c) Sortini's servant.
9. What does K. do while listening to Buergel?
(a) He paces madly.
(b) He taps his foot incessantly.
(c) He twiddle his thumbs.
(d) He falls asleep.
10. What does Frieda say that K. wants from Hans' family?
(c) A place to stay for free.
(d) Access to the Castle.
11. Who is waiting at the meeting place when K. gets there?
(a) The landlord and landlady.
(b) Frieda and Amalia.
(c) A large crowd of people.
(d) No one.
12. Why does Barnabas want the job of messenger?
(a) For the money it brings.
(b) For the chance to overhear conversations.
(c) Because he is endebted to Klamm.
(d) For the status it brings.
13. What did the father do when the family's money ran out?
(a) He started writing angry letters to the Castle.
(b) He camped out in front of the Castle gates.
(c) He started staying at home, not bathing, and pacing all day.
(d) He started trying to organize a revolt against the Castle.
14. Had other families been disgraced in the past?
(a) No, it had never happened before.
(b) Yes, and they had not recovered.
(c) No, except for a rumored family long ago that may not exist.
(d) Yes, and they had recovered.
15. What is Frieda doing when K. returns to the schoolhouse in Chapter XV?
(a) Telling stories to the children.
(b) Mopping the floors.
(c) Bathing a cat.
(d) Sorting the library books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime had the Castle formally charged the family with?
2. What was Amalia's father's profession?
3. What did Frieda's mother warn her about K.?
4. What does K. do when he sees Frieda?
5. What does K. say about Olga's attractiveness?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)