|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the characters have trouble sleeping at the school?
(a) It is too bright.
(b) It is too cold.
(c) It is too noisy.
(d) It is too hot.
2. What reason does Frieda suggest for letting the assistants return?
(a) They might get K. in trouble, if they aren't allowed back.
(b) They will spread rumors and ruin K.'s reputation.
(c) If they are brought back, they can be used as spies.
(d) They might be a way of getting to Klamm.
3. What does the letter praise?
(a) K's integrity in dealing with Frieda.
(b) K.'s ability to follow rules.
(c) K.'s politeness.
(d) K.'s work as a surveyor.
4. What does K. hope to ask Klamm for, when he meets with him?
(a) A permanent surveyor job.
(b) A job in the Castle.
(c) Frieda's hand in marriage.
5. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
(a) Klamm only gives one gift to a mistress, when she leaves him.
(b) She is not a good enough mistress to deserve gifts.
(c) She never asked for any gifts.
(d) Klamm never gives gifts to his mistresses.
6. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
(a) Empty-headed and ignorant.
(b) Bumbling and incompetent.
(c) Kind, helpful, and generous.
(d) Mean, bullying, and power-hungry.
7. What does Frieda ask K. to do?
(a) Go abroad and start a business, then ask her to come when he's established.
(b) Go away from the town and leave her.
(c) Go live abroad with her.
(d) Stay with her in the down, despite the townspeople.
8. How does the teacher say K. treated the chairman?
9. What is the chairman suffering from?
10. Where are K. and his assistants living at the beginning of Chapter XI?
(a) The school office.
(b) The school dormitory.
(c) The school basement.
(d) The school gymnasium.
11. What is the weather like at the beginning of Chapter X?
(a) Windy but clear.
(b) Sunny and warm.
(d) Overcast but still.
12. Who does K. say summoned him?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The Prince.
(c) The Count.
(d) The Attache.
13. What answer do K.'s assistants get when they call the Castle for permission to visit?
(a) They are told no.
(b) They are told they must wait three days.
(c) They are told they can come at once.
(d) They are told they must fill out the right forms.
14. Who does K. meet on the road?
(a) His assistants and Frieda.
(b) Olga and Barnabas.
(c) Frieda and Olga.
(d) His assistants and Barnabas.
15. Who is the gentleman waiting for K. at the beginning of Chapter IX?
(a) Klamm's village secretary.
(b) Klamm's valet.
(c) Klamm's brother.
(d) Klamm's senior assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frieda say her mother has decided to kick K. out of the house?
2. What does K. learn about Klamm's whereabouts?
3. What is the weather like the morning after K. arrives?
4. How does the teacher know about K.'s conversation with the chairman?
5. What does Frieda refer to the assistants as?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)