|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the landlady say about the landlord?
(a) He supports the landlady in everything she asks for.
(b) He is jealous of K.
(c) He is secretly employed by Klamm and does what the official wants.
(d) He resents the landlady and goes against whatever she wants.
2. What does Frieda refer to the assistants as?
(a) Klamm's emissaries.
(b) Klamm's misfits.
(c) Klamm's entourage.
(d) Klamm's missionaries.
3. What do Artur and Jeremias look like?
(a) Identical, with thick black beards.
(b) Similar to each other, but with different color hair.
(c) Similar to each other, but with different color eyes.
(d) Opposites, with one fat and the other thin.
4. What jumps on Frieda in the middle of the night at the school?
(a) A weasel.
(b) A dog.
(c) A rat.
(d) A cat.
5. When K. returns to the inn after meeting with the chairman, what does the landlord ask him?
(a) Whether he has had anything to eat.
(b) Whether he is satisfied with his treatment at the inn.
(c) Whether he has found a new place to stay.
(d) Whether he has gotten to see Klamm.
6. What is the chairman suffering from?
7. What position does the chairman offer to K.?
(a) Clock maintenance worker.
(b) Surveying instructor.
(c) School librarian.
(d) School janitor.
8. Where is the teacher waiting for K.?
(a) In the hallway outside K.'s room.
(b) On the street.
(c) In the inn's parlor.
(d) In K.'s room.
9. Where does K. say he could stay, if Frieda's mother kicked him out?
(a) With Barnabas.
(b) With Artur.
(c) At the Gentleman's Inn.
(d) At the Castle.
10. Where do Frieda and K. make love?
(a) In one of the inn's bedrooms.
(b) In the churchyard.
(c) Outside under a tree.
(d) On the taproom floor.
11. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
(a) She never asked for any gifts.
(b) Klamm never gives gifts to his mistresses.
(c) Klamm only gives one gift to a mistress, when she leaves him.
(d) She is not a good enough mistress to deserve gifts.
12. Who does Frieda say the assistants really want?
13. How does K. get to see Klamm?
(a) By sitting next to him at the restaurant.
(b) By looking through a peephole.
(c) By passing him on the street.
(d) By rushing into his office unannounced.
14. What is the attitude of the people in the house toward K.?
(a) They are not happy about taking him into their house.
(b) They are scared to have K. in the house.
(c) They are very pleased to welcome and feed K.
(d) They are pleased to have K., but have no extra room, money, or food.
15. What photo does the landlady show K.?
(a) A photo of Frieda as a young girl.
(b) A photo of her husband as a young man.
(c) A photo of herself as a young girl.
(d) A photo of a messenger Klamm sent to her long ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
2. How does K. try to get out of the conversation with Frieda's mother?
3. How does K. feel when he leaves the meeting with the chairman?
4. Who does K. meet on the road?
5. What does K. hope to ask Klamm for, when he meets with him?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)