|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the landlady say of the gentleman's actions?
(a) That they are not to be trusted.
(b) That they are honorable and ethical.
(c) That they are imbued with Klamm's spirit.
(d) That they are all relayed in detail to Klamm.
2. Why does Frieda say her mother has decided to kick K. out of the house?
(a) She believes the Castle dislikes him and anyplace he stays will have bad favor.
(b) She has revealed too much personal information to him.
(c) She is afraid he won't have money to pay for his board.
(d) She has heard that he hangs out with undesirable people.
3. Who does K. meet and ask questions about the Castle?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A stonemason.
(c) A cartographer.
(d) A teacher.
4. What is Frieda's job at the taproom?
(a) Cleaning the floors.
(b) Serving beer.
(d) Talking with customers and getting them to buy her drinks.
5. Who does K. find in Klamm's sleigh in the courtyard?
(a) Klamm's new mistress.
(b) A valet.
(c) Klamm's brother.
(d) A coachman.
6. What position does the chairman offer to K.?
(a) Clock maintenance worker.
(b) Surveying instructor.
(c) School janitor.
(d) School librarian.
7. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
(a) She thought K. would be a good connection with the Castle.
(b) She was too tired to kick him out.
(c) She needed the money.
(d) She thought it would be nice to talk to someone new.
8. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
(a) At another inn.
(b) At Barnabas' house.
(c) At the churchyard.
(d) At the Castle.
9. What finally happens to the sleigh and the horses?
(a) They ride out to the country to meet Klamm.
(b) They ride off to the Castle.
(c) They are brought back to the stable.
(d) They circle around the inn several times, before disappearing.
10. Who does the letter from K.'s director tell him to report to?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The Count.
(c) The village chairman.
(d) The director.
11. How does K. try to get out of the conversation with Frieda's mother?
(a) By saying he must leave for his meeting with the village chairman.
(b) By saying he must go to work surveying the land the inn is on.
(c) By saying he is wanted at the Castle immediately.
(d) By saying he is not decent and must dress.
12. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
(a) Bumbling and incompetent.
(b) Empty-headed and ignorant.
(c) Mean, bullying, and power-hungry.
(d) Kind, helpful, and generous.
13. What jumps on Frieda in the middle of the night at the school?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A rat.
(d) A weasel.
14. What does Frieda ask K. to do?
(a) Go away from the town and leave her.
(b) Stay with her in the down, despite the townspeople.
(c) Go abroad and start a business, then ask her to come when he's established.
(d) Go live abroad with her.
15. When do they tell K. that Klamm left the Gentleman's Inn?
(a) While K. was waiting for Klamm.
(b) Before K. arrived at the Gentleman's Inn.
(c) A few hours after K. had left.
(d) As soon as K. was out of the way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chairman offer to contact the Castle for?
2. What answer do K.'s assistants get when they call the Castle for permission to visit?
3. Who is the gentleman waiting for K. at the beginning of Chapter IX?
4. What does K. tell Schwarzer he is?
5. What does the landlady say about the landlord?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)