|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
(a) At Barnabas' house.
(b) At another inn.
(c) At the Castle.
(d) At the churchyard.
2. What does the chairman say is the reason K. was sent for?
(a) To carry out a secret plot for the Count.
(b) Bureaucratic error.
(c) To survey land for a new section of the village.
(d) To pad the kingdom's budget.
3. What does K. say about attempts to communicate through intermediaries?
(a) They are failures.
(b) They work in his favor.
(c) They enhance communication.
(d) They are inefficient.
4. What does K. tell Schwarzer he is?
(a) A land surveyor.
(b) An apothecary.
(c) A member of the royal court.
(d) A milliner.
5. Who does the letter from K.'s director tell him to report to?
(a) The village chairman.
(b) The Count.
(c) The director.
(d) The Queen.
6. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
(a) That K. has to show papers bearing the royal seal from the Castle.
(b) That K. has no permission to be there.
(c) That K. is welcome in the village.
(d) That K. has to work for his board at the inn.
7. When do they tell K. that Klamm left the Gentleman's Inn?
(a) While K. was waiting for Klamm.
(b) As soon as K. was out of the way.
(c) Before K. arrived at the Gentleman's Inn.
(d) A few hours after K. had left.
8. Where do Frieda and K. make love?
(a) Outside under a tree.
(b) In the churchyard.
(c) In one of the inn's bedrooms.
(d) On the taproom floor.
9. Do the people in the house know about K.?
(a) Yes, but they pretend not to know of him.
(b) Yes, they have heard talk about him.
(c) No, they have never heard anything about him.
(d) No, they have only heard vague rumors of a stranger in town.
10. Who does Frieda say the assistants really want?
11. What is it like inside Klamm's sleigh?
(a) Luxurious and warm.
(b) Cramped and hot.
(c) Sterile and austere.
(d) Cold and uncomforable.
12. Who does K. meet on the road?
(a) His assistants and Barnabas.
(b) Olga and Barnabas.
(c) Frieda and Olga.
(d) His assistants and Frieda.
13. What jumps on Frieda in the middle of the night at the school?
(a) A rat.
(b) A weasel.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
14. What does the chairman say about the Castle's phone system?
(a) That it's the most reliable part of the Castle bureaucracy.
(b) That it's a joke.
(c) That it's never working.
(d) That it's antiquated but effective.
15. When does K. tell Frieda's mother that he plans to marry Frieda?
(a) Perhaps in a year or so.
(b) As soon as possible.
(d) The following summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does the chairman offer to K.?
2. What does K. think of the Castle when he goes to look at it?
3. What answer do K.'s assistants get when they call the Castle for permission to visit?
4. Where is the teacher waiting for K.?
5. What color hair does Frieda have?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)