|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What answer does K. get when he calls the Castle himself for permission to visit?
(a) He is told he must fill out the right forms.
(b) He is told no.
(c) He is told he must wait three days.
(d) He is told he can come at once.
2. What is Barnabas' role, according to the letter from K.'s director?
(a) He is an assistant to help K. with his work.
(b) He is a messenger to communicate with the Castle.
(c) He is a guard to watch out for K.'s safety.
(d) He is an overseer to make sure K. is behaving properly.
3. What does the gentleman want K. to do?
(a) Fill out forms to get to see Klamm.
(b) Leave the town.
(c) Answer questions in a formal interview.
(d) Put off his wedding to Frieda.
4. What does the chairman say about the Castle's phone system?
(a) That it's the most reliable part of the Castle bureaucracy.
(b) That it's a joke.
(c) That it's never working.
(d) That it's antiquated but effective.
5. How does K. feel when he leaves the meeting with the chairman?
6. What does K. learn about Klamm's whereabouts?
(a) Klamm's room is empty, and he is getting ready to leave.
(b) Klamm is away in the country for two or three days.
(c) Klamm is back at the Castle already.
(d) Klamm has moved to another room, as he does each night.
7. What does Klamm try to find on the wall in the taproom?
(a) An inscription.
(b) A lantern.
(c) The peephole.
(d) A picture.
8. What is the attitude of the people in the house toward K.?
(a) They are scared to have K. in the house.
(b) They are pleased to have K., but have no extra room, money, or food.
(c) They are not happy about taking him into their house.
(d) They are very pleased to welcome and feed K.
9. Who does K. say summoned him?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The Attache.
(c) The Count.
(d) The Prince.
10. What does K. want to do about his assistants?
(a) Find them a separate place to live.
(b) Send them to the Castle.
(c) Send them away.
(d) Find them new jobs.
11. Why does K. step into a house on the way to the Castle?
(a) Going uphill through snow tires him out.
(b) The winding road confounds him, and he needs directions.
(c) He is trying to avoid someone he sees on the road.
(d) He is starving and needs some food.
12. What does K. tell Frieda's mother he wants to see Klamm for?
(a) K. wants to know when the Count will come see him.
(b) K. wants to challenge Klamm to a duel over Frieda's affections.
(c) K. wants to make sure Klamm has no hard feelings about K. marrying Frieda.
(d) K. wants Klamm's permission to go to the Castle.
13. What position does the chairman offer to K.?
(a) Clock maintenance worker.
(b) Surveying instructor.
(c) School janitor.
(d) School librarian.
14. Why do the characters have trouble sleeping at the school?
(a) It is too noisy.
(b) It is too bright.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) It is too cold.
15. How likely does Frieda's mother say it is for K. to see Klamm?
(b) Very likely.
(d) Somewhat unlikely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
2. What document does the chairman try to locate?
3. What does the landlady say about Barnabas' family?
4. What do Artur and Jeremias look like?
5. Who does K. meet on the road?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)