|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it like inside Klamm's sleigh?
(a) Luxurious and warm.
(b) Cramped and hot.
(c) Cold and uncomforable.
(d) Sterile and austere.
2. What does the chairman say about the Castle's phone system?
(a) That it's the most reliable part of the Castle bureaucracy.
(b) That it's antiquated but effective.
(c) That it's never working.
(d) That it's a joke.
3. What is Frieda's job at the taproom?
(a) Serving beer.
(b) Talking with customers and getting them to buy her drinks.
(d) Cleaning the floors.
4. What position does the chairman offer to K.?
(a) Surveying instructor.
(b) School janitor.
(c) Clock maintenance worker.
(d) School librarian.
5. Who is waiting with the gentleman for K.?
(c) The landlady and landlord.
6. Where does K. say he could stay, if Frieda's mother kicked him out?
(a) With Artur.
(b) With Barnabas.
(c) At the Gentleman's Inn.
(d) At the Castle.
7. What does the landlady say of the gentleman's actions?
(a) That they are honorable and ethical.
(b) That they are all relayed in detail to Klamm.
(c) That they are imbued with Klamm's spirit.
(d) That they are not to be trusted.
8. What does Frieda's mother say that Klamm thinks about K.?
(a) Klamm doesn't care about K. at all.
(b) Klamm thinks K. is amuzing and ineffectual.
(c) Klamm is watching what K. does carefully and judging him.
(d) Klamm admires K. and might be disappointed by him.
9. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
10. When K. returns to the inn after meeting with the chairman, what does the landlord ask him?
(a) Whether he has had anything to eat.
(b) Whether he has gotten to see Klamm.
(c) Whether he is satisfied with his treatment at the inn.
(d) Whether he has found a new place to stay.
11. Who does K. say summoned him?
(a) The Attache.
(b) The Prince.
(c) The Count.
(d) The Queen.
12. Why do the characters have trouble sleeping at the school?
(a) It is too bright.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) It is too cold.
(d) It is too noisy.
13. What does K. want to do about his assistants?
(a) Send them to the Castle.
(b) Find them new jobs.
(c) Send them away.
(d) Find them a separate place to live.
14. What document does the chairman try to locate?
(a) One that will give K. permission to visit the Castle.
(b) One that will give K. instructions on leaving the village.
(c) One that will explain why K. was sent for.
(d) One that will give details of K.'s appointment.
15. Who does K. believe is behind the landlady's marriage and the lease of the inn?
(a) The Count.
(d) Hans' uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does K. get to see Klamm?
2. What reason does K. suggest for the landlady's reluctance to have him talk to Klamm?
3. What does Frieda want K. to do about the job offer?
4. What answer does K. get when he calls the Castle himself for permission to visit?
5. Who is the gentleman waiting for K. at the beginning of Chapter IX?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)