|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does K. tell Frieda's mother he wants to see Klamm for?
(a) K. wants to challenge Klamm to a duel over Frieda's affections.
(b) K. wants Klamm's permission to go to the Castle.
(c) K. wants to know when the Count will come see him.
(d) K. wants to make sure Klamm has no hard feelings about K. marrying Frieda.
2. When does K. say he wants to see Klamm?
(a) Before he must report to the village authorities.
(b) As soon as possible.
(c) Whenever Klamm has time in his schedule.
(d) Within the next week.
3. What does K. tell Schwarzer he is?
(a) A land surveyor.
(b) An apothecary.
(c) A milliner.
(d) A member of the royal court.
4. What color hair does Frieda have?
5. What does Frieda ask K. to do?
(a) Stay with her in the down, despite the townspeople.
(b) Go abroad and start a business, then ask her to come when he's established.
(c) Go live abroad with her.
(d) Go away from the town and leave her.
6. What is the weather like the morning after K. arrives?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is cloudy and dark.
(c) There is snow.
(d) It is sunny and warm.
7. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
(a) Kind, helpful, and generous.
(b) Mean, bullying, and power-hungry.
(c) Bumbling and incompetent.
(d) Empty-headed and ignorant.
8. What does K. say about attempts to communicate through intermediaries?
(a) They are inefficient.
(b) They are failures.
(c) They work in his favor.
(d) They enhance communication.
9. What does the chairman say is the reason K. was sent for?
(a) To survey land for a new section of the village.
(b) To pad the kingdom's budget.
(c) Bureaucratic error.
(d) To carry out a secret plot for the Count.
10. How many siblings does Barnabas have?
11. What do Artur and Jeremias look like?
(a) Opposites, with one fat and the other thin.
(b) Identical, with thick black beards.
(c) Similar to each other, but with different color hair.
(d) Similar to each other, but with different color eyes.
12. Who does K. say is the only person with authority to fire him?
(a) The principal.
(c) The chairman.
(d) The Count.
13. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
(a) Klamm never gives gifts to his mistresses.
(b) She is not a good enough mistress to deserve gifts.
(c) Klamm only gives one gift to a mistress, when she leaves him.
(d) She never asked for any gifts.
14. How likely does Frieda's mother say it is for K. to see Klamm?
(b) Somewhat unlikely.
(c) Very likely.
15. What does the chairman offer to contact the Castle for?
(a) Residential papers for K.
(b) Reimbursement for K.
(c) A promotion for K.
(d) Permission for K. to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frieda refer to the assistants as?
2. What is Frieda's job at the taproom?
3. Why do the characters have trouble sleeping at the school?
4. Who does K. meet on the road?
5. Where is the teacher waiting for K.?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)