|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does K. try to get out of the conversation with Frieda's mother?
(a) By saying he is not decent and must dress.
(b) By saying he must go to work surveying the land the inn is on.
(c) By saying he is wanted at the Castle immediately.
(d) By saying he must leave for his meeting with the village chairman.
2. What jumps on Frieda in the middle of the night at the school?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A rat.
(d) A weasel.
3. What does K. want to do about his assistants?
(a) Find them new jobs.
(b) Send them to the Castle.
(c) Send them away.
(d) Find them a separate place to live.
4. Who does K. believe is behind the landlady's marriage and the lease of the inn?
(b) The Count.
(d) Hans' uncle.
5. What is Barnabas' role, according to the letter from K.'s director?
(a) He is a messenger to communicate with the Castle.
(b) He is an assistant to help K. with his work.
(c) He is a guard to watch out for K.'s safety.
(d) He is an overseer to make sure K. is behaving properly.
6. What answer does K. get when he calls the Castle himself for permission to visit?
(a) He is told he must wait three days.
(b) He is told he can come at once.
(c) He is told no.
(d) He is told he must fill out the right forms.
7. Why does Frieda say her mother has decided to kick K. out of the house?
(a) She has revealed too much personal information to him.
(b) She believes the Castle dislikes him and anyplace he stays will have bad favor.
(c) She has heard that he hangs out with undesirable people.
(d) She is afraid he won't have money to pay for his board.
8. What color hair does Frieda have?
9. When does K. say he wants to see Klamm?
(a) Before he must report to the village authorities.
(b) As soon as possible.
(c) Whenever Klamm has time in his schedule.
(d) Within the next week.
10. Where does K. go with the people he meets on the road?
(a) To the schoolhouse.
(b) To Barnabas's house.
(c) To the Castle.
(d) To the inn.
11. When does K. tell Frieda's mother that he plans to marry Frieda?
(a) The following summer.
(b) As soon as possible.
(d) Perhaps in a year or so.
12. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
(a) That K. has no permission to be there.
(b) That K. has to work for his board at the inn.
(c) That K. is welcome in the village.
(d) That K. has to show papers bearing the royal seal from the Castle.
13. What does Frieda want K. to do about the job offer?
(a) She wants him to take the job.
(b) She wants him to negotiate for a higher position.
(c) She wants him to negotiate for time off to be with her.
(d) She wants him to reject the job.
14. What is the chairman suffering from?
15. What reason does K. suggest for the landlady's reluctance to have him talk to Klamm?
(a) That she is protecting her daughter.
(b) That she doesn't want K. to get in trouble.
(c) That she is protecting Klamm.
(d) That she is employed by Klamm.
Short Answer Questions
1. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
2. Who does Frieda's mother say an official will talk to?
3. Who is waiting with the gentleman for K.?
4. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
5. Where does K. go at the beginning of Chapter IX?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)