|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does K. say he wants to see Klamm?
(a) Before he must report to the village authorities.
(b) As soon as possible.
(c) Within the next week.
(d) Whenever Klamm has time in his schedule.
2. How does the landlord say that the landlady has been feeling?
(a) Sick and upset because of K.
(b) Sad that she's hurt her daughter.
(c) Worried that she has hurt K.
(d) Nervous that K. will make trouble for her.
3. How likely does Frieda's mother say it is for K. to see Klamm?
(c) Very likely.
(d) Somewhat unlikely.
4. What is K. asked to get out of Klamm's sleigh?
(a) A music box.
(b) A riding crop.
(d) Klamm's spectacles.
5. What does K. worry about regarding Frieda?
(a) That she will leave him when she learns the Castle does not need him.
(b) That she will continue to feel attached to Klamm.
(c) That she will make Klamm angry with her.
(d) That she will continue to sleep with Klamm.
6. How does K. feel when he leaves the meeting with the chairman?
7. How does the landlady say she feels about K. staying at the inn?
(a) She says she is happy that K. is staying there.
(b) She says she is in love with K. and wants him to stay.
(c) She says that she wants K. to leave immediately.
(d) She says that she wants K. to stay but doesn't want to see or hear him.
8. What gets thrown on Frieda and K.?
(a) A sheet.
(b) A bucket of water.
(c) Their clothes.
(d) A rug.
9. What answer does K. get when he calls the Castle himself for permission to visit?
(a) He is told he can come at once.
(b) He is told he must wait three days.
(c) He is told he must fill out the right forms.
(d) He is told no.
10. Do the people in the house know about K.?
(a) No, they have never heard anything about him.
(b) Yes, but they pretend not to know of him.
(c) No, they have only heard vague rumors of a stranger in town.
(d) Yes, they have heard talk about him.
11. What does Frieda's mother say that Klamm thinks about K.?
(a) Klamm is watching what K. does carefully and judging him.
(b) Klamm admires K. and might be disappointed by him.
(c) Klamm doesn't care about K. at all.
(d) Klamm thinks K. is amuzing and ineffectual.
12. Where are K. and his assistants living at the beginning of Chapter XI?
(a) The school dormitory.
(b) The school basement.
(c) The school office.
(d) The school gymnasium.
13. Why does K. step into a house on the way to the Castle?
(a) He is starving and needs some food.
(b) He is trying to avoid someone he sees on the road.
(c) The winding road confounds him, and he needs directions.
(d) Going uphill through snow tires him out.
14. Who is waiting with the gentleman for K.?
(a) The landlady and landlord.
15. What jumps on Frieda in the middle of the night at the school?
(a) A rat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A weasel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does K. get to see Klamm?
2. When does K. tell Frieda's mother that he plans to marry Frieda?
3. How does K. try to get out of the conversation with Frieda's mother?
4. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
5. Who does the letter from K.'s director tell him to report to?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)