|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does K. get to see Klamm?
(a) By looking through a peephole.
(b) By sitting next to him at the restaurant.
(c) By passing him on the street.
(d) By rushing into his office unannounced.
2. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
(a) That K. has to show papers bearing the royal seal from the Castle.
(b) That K. has no permission to be there.
(c) That K. has to work for his board at the inn.
(d) That K. is welcome in the village.
3. What finally happens to the sleigh and the horses?
(a) They are brought back to the stable.
(b) They ride out to the country to meet Klamm.
(c) They ride off to the Castle.
(d) They circle around the inn several times, before disappearing.
4. What is Barnabas' role, according to the letter from K.'s director?
(a) He is a messenger to communicate with the Castle.
(b) He is a guard to watch out for K.'s safety.
(c) He is an assistant to help K. with his work.
(d) He is an overseer to make sure K. is behaving properly.
5. What photo does the landlady show K.?
(a) A photo of a messenger Klamm sent to her long ago.
(b) A photo of herself as a young girl.
(c) A photo of Frieda as a young girl.
(d) A photo of her husband as a young man.
6. Where does K. go with the people he meets on the road?
(a) To Barnabas's house.
(b) To the inn.
(c) To the schoolhouse.
(d) To the Castle.
7. How does the landlord say that the landlady has been feeling?
(a) Worried that she has hurt K.
(b) Nervous that K. will make trouble for her.
(c) Sad that she's hurt her daughter.
(d) Sick and upset because of K.
8. How likely does Frieda's mother say it is for K. to see Klamm?
(a) Very likely.
(d) Somewhat unlikely.
9. What gets thrown on Frieda and K.?
(a) A rug.
(b) Their clothes.
(c) A sheet.
(d) A bucket of water.
10. What does Frieda want K. to do about the job offer?
(a) She wants him to negotiate for time off to be with her.
(b) She wants him to take the job.
(c) She wants him to negotiate for a higher position.
(d) She wants him to reject the job.
11. What is the weather like the morning after K. arrives?
(a) There is snow.
(b) It is sunny and warm.
(c) It is raining.
(d) It is cloudy and dark.
12. What does the chairman offer to contact the Castle for?
(a) A promotion for K.
(b) Residential papers for K.
(c) Reimbursement for K.
(d) Permission for K. to marry.
13. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
(a) No, she wants to keep the assistants near them constantly.
(b) Yes, though she is more tolerant of the assistants than K. is.
(c) Yes, she is even more critical of the assistants than K. is.
(d) No, but she wants more time away from teh assistants.
14. How does K. try to get out of the conversation with Frieda's mother?
(a) By saying he must go to work surveying the land the inn is on.
(b) By saying he must leave for his meeting with the village chairman.
(c) By saying he is wanted at the Castle immediately.
(d) By saying he is not decent and must dress.
15. What does the letter praise?
(a) K.'s ability to follow rules.
(b) K.'s politeness.
(c) K.'s work as a surveyor.
(d) K's integrity in dealing with Frieda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the landlady say about the landlord?
2. What reason does K. suggest for the landlady's reluctance to have him talk to Klamm?
3. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
4. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
5. What is Frieda's job at the taproom?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)