|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the landlady say she feels about K. staying at the inn?
(a) She says she is happy that K. is staying there.
(b) She says that she wants K. to stay but doesn't want to see or hear him.
(c) She says she is in love with K. and wants him to stay.
(d) She says that she wants K. to leave immediately.
2. What does K. want to do about his assistants?
(a) Send them to the Castle.
(b) Find them new jobs.
(c) Send them away.
(d) Find them a separate place to live.
3. How does K. get to see Klamm?
(a) By looking through a peephole.
(b) By sitting next to him at the restaurant.
(c) By passing him on the street.
(d) By rushing into his office unannounced.
4. Where do Frieda and K. make love?
(a) In one of the inn's bedrooms.
(b) Outside under a tree.
(c) In the churchyard.
(d) On the taproom floor.
5. How did the landlady meet her husband?
(a) He consoled her after Klamm stopped calling on her.
(b) He bought flowers from her every day in her flower shop.
(c) He came to stay at her father's inn.
(d) He was a messenger between her and Klamm.
6. How does the teacher know about K.'s conversation with the chairman?
(a) He recorded a deposition of the conversation.
(b) He heard about it from the chairman's wife.
(c) He lives next door to the chairman, and the walls are thin.
(d) His servant heard about it from the chairman's servant.
7. What does K. tell Schwarzer he is?
(a) A member of the royal court.
(b) A milliner.
(c) A land surveyor.
(d) An apothecary.
8. At the end of Chapter VIII, where is K.?
(a) At the steps of the Castle.
(b) Alone in the courtyard.
(c) At the door to Klamm's room.
(d) At his room in the inn.
9. Who does the letter from K.'s director tell him to report to?
(a) The Count.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The director.
(d) The village chairman.
10. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
(a) She needed the money.
(b) She was too tired to kick him out.
(c) She thought K. would be a good connection with the Castle.
(d) She thought it would be nice to talk to someone new.
11. What answer do K.'s assistants get when they call the Castle for permission to visit?
(a) They are told they can come at once.
(b) They are told they must wait three days.
(c) They are told they must fill out the right forms.
(d) They are told no.
12. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
13. How does the teacher say K. treated the chairman?
14. What does the gentleman want K. to do?
(a) Put off his wedding to Frieda.
(b) Fill out forms to get to see Klamm.
(c) Answer questions in a formal interview.
(d) Leave the town.
15. What finally happens to the sleigh and the horses?
(a) They circle around the inn several times, before disappearing.
(b) They ride out to the country to meet Klamm.
(c) They are brought back to the stable.
(d) They ride off to the Castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the landlady say about the landlord?
2. What does Frieda's mother say that Klamm thinks about K.?
3. What does Frieda refer to the assistants as?
4. What document does the chairman try to locate?
5. When K. lights a match, who does he startle?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)