|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
(a) She is not a good enough mistress to deserve gifts.
(b) She never asked for any gifts.
(c) Klamm never gives gifts to his mistresses.
(d) Klamm only gives one gift to a mistress, when she leaves him.
2. Who is the gentleman waiting for K. at the beginning of Chapter IX?
(a) Klamm's senior assistant.
(b) Klamm's brother.
(c) Klamm's valet.
(d) Klamm's village secretary.
3. What does K. think of the Castle when he goes to look at it?
(a) He is awed and fearful.
(b) It looks ordinary to him.
(c) It looks overly ornate to him.
(d) He is impressed by the Castle's elegance.
4. Who does K. say is the only person with authority to fire him?
(b) The principal.
(c) The Count.
(d) The chairman.
5. What is Barnabas' role, according to the letter from K.'s director?
(a) He is an overseer to make sure K. is behaving properly.
(b) He is a messenger to communicate with the Castle.
(c) He is a guard to watch out for K.'s safety.
(d) He is an assistant to help K. with his work.
6. What does K. want to do about his assistants?
(a) Send them away.
(b) Send them to the Castle.
(c) Find them new jobs.
(d) Find them a separate place to live.
7. What position does the chairman offer to K.?
(a) School librarian.
(b) Clock maintenance worker.
(c) Surveying instructor.
(d) School janitor.
8. What does K. tell Frieda's mother he wants to see Klamm for?
(a) K. wants Klamm's permission to go to the Castle.
(b) K. wants to make sure Klamm has no hard feelings about K. marrying Frieda.
(c) K. wants to challenge Klamm to a duel over Frieda's affections.
(d) K. wants to know when the Count will come see him.
9. How does K. feel when he leaves the meeting with the chairman?
10. What does Frieda's mother say that Klamm thinks about K.?
(a) Klamm thinks K. is amuzing and ineffectual.
(b) Klamm doesn't care about K. at all.
(c) Klamm is watching what K. does carefully and judging him.
(d) Klamm admires K. and might be disappointed by him.
11. What is the weather like at the beginning of Chapter X?
(b) Overcast but still.
(c) Sunny and warm.
(d) Windy but clear.
12. What does the letter praise?
(a) K.'s work as a surveyor.
(b) K.'s politeness.
(c) K.'s ability to follow rules.
(d) K's integrity in dealing with Frieda.
13. What does the landlady say of the gentleman's actions?
(a) That they are imbued with Klamm's spirit.
(b) That they are honorable and ethical.
(c) That they are not to be trusted.
(d) That they are all relayed in detail to Klamm.
14. What reason does Frieda give that she is sad she left the Gentlemen's Inn?
(a) She feels unworthy to be with K.
(b) She misses Klamm's wealth.
(c) She misses a steady income as a barmaid.
(d) She misses Klamm's power.
15. Who does K. find in Klamm's sleigh in the courtyard?
(a) A coachman.
(b) Klamm's brother.
(c) Klamm's new mistress.
(d) A valet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the teacher say the offer is a great favor?
2. When K. leaves with Barnabas, where do they end up?
3. What is the chairman suffering from?
4. What does Schwarzer tell K. in the beginning of the novel when the two first meet?
5. How many siblings does Barnabas have?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)