|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What answer do K.'s assistants get when they call the Castle for permission to visit?
(a) They are told they can come at once.
(b) They are told no.
(c) They are told they must fill out the right forms.
(d) They are told they must wait three days.
2. Who is the gentleman waiting for K. at the beginning of Chapter IX?
(a) Klamm's valet.
(b) Klamm's brother.
(c) Klamm's senior assistant.
(d) Klamm's village secretary.
3. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
(a) She is not a good enough mistress to deserve gifts.
(b) Klamm only gives one gift to a mistress, when she leaves him.
(c) She never asked for any gifts.
(d) Klamm never gives gifts to his mistresses.
4. How many siblings does Barnabas have?
5. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
(a) She was too tired to kick him out.
(b) She needed the money.
(c) She thought K. would be a good connection with the Castle.
(d) She thought it would be nice to talk to someone new.
6. Who is waiting with the gentleman for K.?
(d) The landlady and landlord.
7. Who does K. say summoned him?
(a) The Attache.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The Prince.
(d) The Count.
8. What does K. learn about Klamm's whereabouts?
(a) Klamm is back at the Castle already.
(b) Klamm's room is empty, and he is getting ready to leave.
(c) Klamm has moved to another room, as he does each night.
(d) Klamm is away in the country for two or three days.
9. What does K. tell Schwarzer he is?
(a) A member of the royal court.
(b) A land surveyor.
(c) A milliner.
(d) An apothecary.
10. What is the weather like the morning after K. arrives?
(a) There is snow.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is sunny and warm.
(d) It is cloudy and dark.
11. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
12. How does K. get to see Klamm?
(a) By looking through a peephole.
(b) By sitting next to him at the restaurant.
(c) By rushing into his office unannounced.
(d) By passing him on the street.
13. Who does K. go to the Gentlemen's Inn to look for?
14. What does Frieda want K. to do about the job offer?
(a) She wants him to negotiate for a higher position.
(b) She wants him to take the job.
(c) She wants him to negotiate for time off to be with her.
(d) She wants him to reject the job.
15. Does Frieda agree with what K. wants to do about the assistants?
(a) Yes, though she is more tolerant of the assistants than K. is.
(b) No, but she wants more time away from teh assistants.
(c) Yes, she is even more critical of the assistants than K. is.
(d) No, she wants to keep the assistants near them constantly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the teacher know about K.'s conversation with the chairman?
2. Where does K. go at the beginning of Chapter IX?
3. What is Frieda's relationship with Klamm?
4. What does the chairman say about the Castle's phone system?
5. How likely does Frieda's mother say it is for K. to see Klamm?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)