|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the teacher know about K.'s conversation with the chairman?
(a) He heard about it from the chairman's wife.
(b) He recorded a deposition of the conversation.
(c) His servant heard about it from the chairman's servant.
(d) He lives next door to the chairman, and the walls are thin.
2. What is the chairman suffering from?
3. What reason does Frieda give that she is sad she left the Gentlemen's Inn?
(a) She misses Klamm's wealth.
(b) She misses a steady income as a barmaid.
(c) She feels unworthy to be with K.
(d) She misses Klamm's power.
4. How does the landlady say she feels about K. staying at the inn?
(a) She says she is happy that K. is staying there.
(b) She says she is in love with K. and wants him to stay.
(c) She says that she wants K. to stay but doesn't want to see or hear him.
(d) She says that she wants K. to leave immediately.
5. What is K. asked to get out of Klamm's sleigh?
(a) Klamm's spectacles.
(b) A music box.
(d) A riding crop.
6. Who does K. say is the only person with authority to fire him?
(a) The principal.
(b) The chairman.
(c) The Count.
7. What does the letter praise?
(a) K.'s politeness.
(b) K.'s ability to follow rules.
(c) K.'s work as a surveyor.
(d) K's integrity in dealing with Frieda.
8. What does Frieda ask K. to do?
(a) Go live abroad with her.
(b) Go away from the town and leave her.
(c) Go abroad and start a business, then ask her to come when he's established.
(d) Stay with her in the down, despite the townspeople.
9. When K. lights a match, who does he startle?
10. Who does the letter from K.'s director tell him to report to?
(a) The village chairman.
(b) The director.
(c) The Count.
(d) The Queen.
11. What does the chairman say is the reason K. was sent for?
(a) To carry out a secret plot for the Count.
(b) To pad the kingdom's budget.
(c) To survey land for a new section of the village.
(d) Bureaucratic error.
12. What does the landlady say about the landlord?
(a) He supports the landlady in everything she asks for.
(b) He is jealous of K.
(c) He is secretly employed by Klamm and does what the official wants.
(d) He resents the landlady and goes against whatever she wants.
13. What reason does Frieda's mother give for letting K. stay in the inn when he first arrived?
(a) She needed the money.
(b) She thought it would be nice to talk to someone new.
(c) She was too tired to kick him out.
(d) She thought K. would be a good connection with the Castle.
14. What does Frieda want K. to do about the job offer?
(a) She wants him to take the job.
(b) She wants him to negotiate for time off to be with her.
(c) She wants him to reject the job.
(d) She wants him to negotiate for a higher position.
15. From whom does K. receive a letter?
(b) The Count.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter VIII, where is K.?
2. When K. returns to the inn after meeting with the chairman, what does the landlord ask him?
3. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
4. What reason does Frieda suggest for letting the assistants return?
5. Where does K. go when he arrives at the village?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)