|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does K. go with the people he meets on the road?
(a) To the Castle.
(b) To the schoolhouse.
(c) To the inn.
(d) To Barnabas's house.
2. Where is the teacher waiting for K.?
(a) In K.'s room.
(b) On the street.
(c) In the hallway outside K.'s room.
(d) In the inn's parlor.
3. What does Frieda refer to the assistants as?
(a) Klamm's missionaries.
(b) Klamm's entourage.
(c) Klamm's misfits.
(d) Klamm's emissaries.
4. What answer does K. get when he calls the Castle himself for permission to visit?
(a) He is told he must fill out the right forms.
(b) He is told he can come at once.
(c) He is told no.
(d) He is told he must wait three days.
5. What answer do K.'s assistants get when they call the Castle for permission to visit?
(a) They are told they must fill out the right forms.
(b) They are told they must wait three days.
(c) They are told they can come at once.
(d) They are told no.
6. What does the chairman offer to contact the Castle for?
(a) A promotion for K.
(b) Residential papers for K.
(c) Reimbursement for K.
(d) Permission for K. to marry.
7. How does the landlord say that the landlady has been feeling?
(a) Nervous that K. will make trouble for her.
(b) Sick and upset because of K.
(c) Sad that she's hurt her daughter.
(d) Worried that she has hurt K.
8. What gets thrown on Frieda and K.?
(a) Their clothes.
(b) A rug.
(c) A sheet.
(d) A bucket of water.
9. When do they tell K. that Klamm left the Gentleman's Inn?
(a) Before K. arrived at the Gentleman's Inn.
(b) As soon as K. was out of the way.
(c) While K. was waiting for Klamm.
(d) A few hours after K. had left.
10. At the end of Chapter VIII, where is K.?
(a) At the door to Klamm's room.
(b) At his room in the inn.
(c) Alone in the courtyard.
(d) At the steps of the Castle.
11. How does the teacher characterize the chairman in the conversation?
(a) Empty-headed and ignorant.
(b) Kind, helpful, and generous.
(c) Mean, bullying, and power-hungry.
(d) Bumbling and incompetent.
12. Who leases the inn to the landlady and landlord?
(a) The Count.
(b) The landlady's father.
(d) The landlord's uncle.
13. What does K. hope to ask Klamm for, when he meets with him?
(b) A permanent surveyor job.
(c) Frieda's hand in marriage.
(d) A job in the Castle.
14. What is K. asked to get out of Klamm's sleigh?
(a) A riding crop.
(c) A music box.
(d) Klamm's spectacles.
15. Where does K. say he could stay, if Frieda's mother kicked him out?
(a) At the Gentleman's Inn.
(b) With Artur.
(c) With Barnabas.
(d) At the Castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the attitude of the people in the house toward K.?
2. What does K. learn about Klamm's whereabouts?
3. Who does K. meet and ask questions about the Castle?
4. Why does the landlady say that Frieda never received gifts from Klamm?
5. How does K. fear appearing, if the landlady is refused permission for K. to meet Klamm?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)